What's For Dinner #61 - the Back to (Home) School Edition - Sept. 2020

Last night’s dinner was a fail. Pan-roasted salmon, carrots and fennel agridulce, and honey-mustard cucumber salad. The carrots were frozen from our CSA earlier in the summer and were spongy, the fennel was stringy, the cukes oversalted, and the salmon could have been fresher. Ugh.

10 Likes

Looks delicious though. I think we’ve all been in a place where looks can be deceiving. Going forward, carrot purée, salmon salad and slice the fennel across the ribs to shorten the strings like celery

3 Likes

I meant that in a good way.

1 Like

Beautiful and thoughtful all over so many delicious foods. You are a fortunate man. Blessed.

1 Like

Happy New Year.

1 Like

SATURDAY 19th. Italian Dinner for Four …

15 Likes

Have a wonderful safe and wonderful trip.

1 Like

What a magnificent dinner and gorgeous outdoor setting! That looked like a very special port from 1979.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend and stay safe!

3 Likes

Trader Joe’s chicken and mushroom pelmeni simmered in homemade smoked chicken broth. No complaints.

14 Likes

Going forward, I’m thinking that those family interactions are as important as life itself

4 Likes

What an excellent use of the pelmeni.

1 Like

It was a good day today walking around Screw Auger Falls:

Moose Cave area:

and a quick pic-a-nic lunch (in the car because it was too windy and cold) at Lake Umbagog.

Dinner was grilled chicken, steak, Rice-a-Roni, sauteed green beans and garlic, and a tomato, cuke and mozz salad. I had wine.

Dessert was my pound cake with peaches and blackberries marinated in Licor 43.

And we saw Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, the Big Dipper, Polaris, and Cassiopeia in tonight’s sky.

19 Likes

We had a spectacular dinner indoors at Bistro D’Azur, in South Orange, NJ, for the first time in 6 months. We had our last indoor dinner here before the lockdown on March 16th. We enjoyed an excellent skate in a beurre noisette and caper sauce; melt in your mouth pistachio crusted lamb rib chops in a chermoulah sauce; grilled peach and goat cheese salad; the always awesome lobster crepe; and we had to order a side crispy Spanish chips. It all went great with an outstanding Spanish Priorat.

13 Likes

Dinner was Chinese takeout because no one felt like cooking. Cocktail hour: Stoli martini for me, BF with my first made pumpkin martini of the season, and mom had a Rob Roy.

13 Likes

Caesar salad with grilled baguette croutons, tots, and we shared a grass fed grilled rib eye. A delicious Turley zin.

15 Likes

Mussels and clams with peas . This was super. The broth included a little green peppercorn mustard. Cheers.

19 Likes

I see you don’t fly fish. Nice looking spot . Linda . Fabulous.

1 Like

Oyster ceviche. These oysters are still quite alive! The rest of the family had leftover larb.

11 Likes

I went to a local Japanese grocery store today and part of my haul was a package of mentaiko (cured pollock roe), with which I made some mentaiko spaghetti.

I used this recipe minus the shiso leaf: https://www.justonecookbook.com/classic-mentaiko-pasta/

Also on the side some broccolini, cherry tomatoes, and a couple deep fried store bought frozen curry croquettes from the same haul.

Washed it down with a sour ale.

16 Likes

Shanah tovah u’metukah! Very lovely meal, sorry about the absentees.

1 Like