What's For Dinner #61 - the Back to (Home) School Edition - Sept. 2020

We had another outstanding dinner outdoors at Bloom in Verona, NJ. We enjoyed crispy monkfish with ginger brown butter and soy and saffron risotto; crispy rock shrimp skewers, one with wasabi aioli, and the other with gochujang aioli; lobster ravioli stuffed with kimchi and spinach; spicy pork tacos, and a creamy corn soup (not pictured). It all went great with an excellent red blend aged in bourbon barrels.

13 Likes

I made a small batch of carnitas with leftover pork shoulder. Salsa fresca, too, and avo.

terrible day. will be lifting a glass later on to the incredible RBG. RIP, amazing woman.

24 Likes

yikes, scary!

that chop though…

1 Like

Ditto.

7 Likes

DD2 paying tribute; RBG was a force. Dinner will be a bold red sauce for pasta, and wine for me. Your dinner looks fab, as always!

18 Likes

love that shirt.

2 Likes

Friday night tradition. Pizzas on whole wheat crust + movie night.

Tough night with the loss of RBG, tough week and year. In these times, connecting around food and memories with loved ones and found communities is so needed, so sustaining, so affirming.

Damn it, 2020.

21 Likes

Dinner - it was just the thing for tonight - comforting and punchy. Sauce from homegrown tomatoes, and hot Italian sausage, garlic sourdough toast.

15 Likes

Hah! I’m all about the ketchup.

2 Likes

What a crappy news day.

Dinner was imagined by me and cooked by others which was lovely. Leftover skirt steak with asian seasonings and rice noodles sautéed with napa cabbage, mushrooms, scallions, ginger, and chilli oil. I had chilled a bottle of Riesling, but I think the other adults had over-imbibed between last night and this afternoon :joy: so I’m sipping a rare-for-me mexican coke instead.

I made pan- grilled chicken kababs and roasted cauliflower for lunch. And the ubiquitous tomato salad :joy: My moms version today using large heirloom tomatoes, simple but tasty.

20 Likes

I have such food envy . Fabulous as always.

I❤️ larb.

And blistered green beans

23 Likes

Me too! Looks great!

2 Likes

@Sasha

Thank you for the question. I was only playing around with the “utility” of the grill. I wasn’t hoping for any kind of unique flavor for the dish. As you thought, a one stop shopping idea. Overall, that dish fried up nicely tho’.

(Dang. Was that cookie sheet ever hot though. It’ll be a long time before I do that again)

Baked chicken and waffles. Bacon crumbles because why the hell not. Sriracha-Maple glaze.

Comfort food after a string of bleak days (and an awful news day today).

14 Likes

I can’t go on.

A lonely Rosh Hashanah Seder. Was hoping to have my son and his gf over but she developed a cough and so they backed out. BIL had to much work to do. Did a zoom Seder with my extended family in Tampa and elsewhere. Had all the traditional dishes that go along with the Seder

I roasted a 5.5 lb chicken with roasted root vegetables.

22 Likes

Shana Tovah!

2 Likes

LOL - is that good or?

1 Like

Looks beautiful. How disappointing your family couldn’t be together.

3 Likes