What's For Dinner #61 - the Back to (Home) School Edition - Sept. 2020

that looks incredible. maybe i missed it - tell me about your garlic oil? is it just like a slow poaching of garlic cloves?

1 Like

Hope you have a wonderful evening tonight! Is your Ooni oven wood burning, or propane? Both maybe? We have the Karu which is both, but we’ve been having trouble with getting the fire started in the small box. So we hook it up to propane so far. H has a few ideas to try moving forward. Any tips you have @bear, would be appreciated.

We cooked some locally smoked bone-in pork chops in butter and fresh sage and served with broccoli cheese and shaved fennel slaw. I dressed the fennel in the juice and zest of a lemon, mayo, sour cream, agave, fresh chives, and lots of s&p and it was so good!

17 Likes

One of those weeks.
Even though it was a short week.
Monday won’t be fun either.

My usual Friday night dinner of steak tips with Ballymaloe steak sauce (the last of it, but I hope to be picking up some more tomorrow), baked tater with the PSTOB and sour cream, and asparagus with a balsamic drizzle.

There was most definitely wine.

And HO isn’t allowing me to upload my pic. It’s taking forever to try and upload, then it just goes away. So just look for last week’s pic. Probably close to the same dinner. :wink:

11 Likes

More “mince” and tomatoes. I used the confit cherry tomatoes from a week or so ago , pushed through a “mill”, and served fresh tomatoes on the side.

17 Likes

We had our last dinner at Corso 98 in Montclair, NJ. They are closing at the end of this month after 21 years. It’s sad. This used to be an excellent restaurant but it looks like they have pretty much given up and are counting down the days until the end of the month. Service was all over the place. They put down our entree plates as they were picking up the appetizers plates. We didn’t have time to digest our appetizers. We then had to wait a half hour to get our dessert to go and check.
We had pork chops, tuna, spicy sautéed Hungarian peppers, clams oreganata, and beet salad. We took home Java chip ice cream. It went great with an excellent Napa Cabernet.

13 Likes

Rice noodle

-> pork chow fun

and happy me! (Us!)

21 Likes

I would love to find rice noodles here.

I can’t remember where you are.

I am in Northern California, but sort of distant East Bay; last bit of Solano County That package says made in SF, which is abouut 45 miles from here.

There is a Country Square Market that has most of the usual 99 Ranch/ Asian market things, but I couldn’t find rice noodles last time I looked. Which was March.

BF had a craving, so he made us a club sandwich to share and potato salad for dinner. Jaw-unhinging club was ham, bacon, and his wonderful chicken salad, because we had it. Potato salad was dressed with olive oil, minced onion, garlic, olives, pepperoncini and thyme. Great Fri. night dinner.

16 Likes

that looks SCRUMPTIOUS.

Yeah but those steak tips looked especially fab tonight on FB!! hope you can load the pic later…

1 Like

that chop and the slaw are making me drool and i just ate that monster sandwich.

1 Like

What , how can that be . Cheers

1 Like

Came home after a long day at the office to a lovely farm box. Found this giant head of frisée and knew right away dinner would be frisée aux lardons.
And a nice CA pinot; keeping our fire ravaged NorCal neighbors in our thoughts.

17 Likes

Fab last dinner! Sad to see yet another restaurant close. Are people dining out a lot?

2 Likes

I don’t know about people, but we are most assuredly not. The infection rate here in Maryland is up 20% in the past month (about), we’re in the throes of allergy season and cold & flu season is ramping up. Sharing a space with a bunch of people without masks seems unwise. We get take-out about once each month and otherwise cook.

Dinner last night was stuffed pork chops, roast squash with Parmesan, and mashed potatoes courtesy of my recently rediscovered ricer.

5 Likes

Thanks. Yes, it seems that people are starting to dine out more. We go very early and are usually the only diners there for the first hour. When we left every table was taken outdoors.

2 Likes

Dinner last night - chicken wings 3 ways: Dry rubbed Berbere, and Lemon Pepper, wet style BBQ. The Berbere was my favorite. You can see, someone else interested in the food too.

15 Likes