What's For Dinner #60 - The Hot August Nights Edition - August 2020

Kimchi fried rice with Chinese sausage and banchan from Korean leftovers. Threw some of my own kimchi in there too, along with spring onion greens, shallot, fresh ginger, garlic, basil and cilantro. lots of Maggi seasoning for extra umami, chili oil, and sriracha at the table. EBTB seasoning on mine. a fried egg for each.

18 Likes

Tonight I repurposed my Indian lamb curry into a pot pie. I added some peas to the curry, already chock full of spinach and potato, then topped with TJ’s puff pastry. A nice transformation.

Chocolate chip cookie bars for dessert.

Super thankful for the generator we are running on since we lost power this afternoon when Isasias barreled through. Regular Power is not expected to return until Thursday.

18 Likes

oh boo about the power! hoping it goes back on soonest. stay dry and safe!

1 Like

well it looks wonderful. glad you guys are safe and dry?

1 Like

this looks amazing! super impressed with your blackout cooking. hoping you get power back soon.

1 Like

and to all our East Coasters - hope you keep/get power back, and stay warm, safe, and dry!

5 Likes

Safe and dry, but hot and cranky! :smile:

4 Likes

Thank you! As does your lamb curry pot pie. That’s the stuff of dreams right there!

2 Likes

New York strip and BLT salad. I MAY have eaten most of the B before plating.

18 Likes

i may have had a BSLT* for bfast.

*bacon salmon lettuce tomato

but that STEAK!

14 Likes

I can’t believe I’m hearing about this (Isaias) here. Daughter says it’s done. :neutral_face:

1 Like

that sounds amazing. will have to file that idea away…

2 Likes

Yes @MAH, that DOES sound amazing, and like something I’ll have to try. @ChristinaM I have purple, not green cabbage, and dried cherries and pomegranate, but not cranberries. Can I make some of this work? And how long is it good in the fridge?

1 Like

This looks so good. I like having a cool side dish with meals, not sure way, and often struggle to come up with something along side of Indian food. We love chaat, we love cabbage salads. This will be perfect. I can’t wait to try your slaw.

2 Likes

Yesterday was our anniversary and The Sprout made one of our favorite meals. Eggplant with lamb, feta. and pine nuts. Served with a lovely shepherds’ salad. The Sprout is definitely one of the best things to come out of our years together.

20 Likes

Happy Anniversary to you and yours @MsBean! That dinner prepared by your Sprout looks like the perfect celebration.

1 Like

Off the grid 15 hours, solar saved the day but by the time I was done making the family rounds dinner was cantaloupe and pineapple with a cold glass of bubbly.

Hope everyone affected by the storm is heading towards recovery. The storm took out 7 of our trees but all else was spared. Counting my :pray: and thinking of all going through it.

Stay safe!

7 Likes

Power outages are never fun, especially when they involve losing a fridge full of food. That’s usually been the worst part for me in the past.

We hooked up the portable generator to save the contents of our refrigerator, and we expected the power to be restored last night. No such luck though.

Today we hope. And I hope that you everyone else without electricity gets power back soon—if you’re not already back in business.

3 Likes

Thank you. We very much enjoyed her dinner and the fact that she wanted to make it for us. We are very lucky.

6 Likes

Happy Anniversary, and how wonderful to have such a luscious meal prepared for the occasion by your lovely daughter! :heart: Two of my favorite foods on the planet - lamb (of course) and eggplant. King crab reigns as first however. Hope you enjoyed, and I’m sure it will be especially memorable, due to the severe weather, in part at least.

1 Like