What's For Dinner #60 - The Hot August Nights Edition - August 2020

Thank you. We don’t do oysters often but we were at our favorite local fish monger and they were right there! Couldn’t resist.

I love living vicariously through your pictures and am putting together a plan for when we can travel again. Stay safe and enjoy life!

As seen on TV! Ronco Showtime rotisserie chicken, served with leftover potato salad, and garden squash. Delicious, and eaten al fresco. The wasps are really aggressive this year, we didn’t linger, despite burning citronella.

11 Likes

I still use it. I prefer not giving my credit card data to everyone. I guess I’m just hopeful that I won’t get cheated.

3 Likes

Me too. I’ve actually had more problems with “regular” credit cards used at the point of service. I think that’s the expression. In any case, it helps to stay on top of it. Pretty stressful when it goes awry.

Hope I didn’t jinx anything.

1 Like

Eggplant Parm, lightly sauced over rigatoni. Two side salads: spinach and another tomato soaked in extra virgin olive oil.

14 Likes

Let me dive into that dinner right now! Very sorry to read about your paypal exp. thats a real pita!

The storm took out a few large trees in our yard during the last wind/storm and its been cleanup central ever since. The tree service finally was able to finish today. Meals during this were on the fly. I baked off a pizza (the house was already warm and the dough loved it) and made a martini but my gal had the iphone; busy taking yard damage before and after pics, so no dinner shots tonight.

Now, I’m off to take a cool shower followed by brandy and fresh peaches!

4 Likes

DH made a light salad with more chicken of the wood.

11 Likes

maiale al latte ragu, with broccoli rabe/purple broccoli and bacon. I’ve made the pork before but never as a ragu. Pretty danged tasty. From an old CH recipe.

14 Likes

Steak fries from the freezer cooked in the air fryer and topped with Mornay sauce and a fried egg.

17 Likes

Birthday dinner for my best friend Bob . Over 45 yrs . Skirt steak tostadas. Took a 50

min drive north east of here to cattle country. A small butcher shop out in the middle of no where . Love this place . Tuna baja tacos , beans . Cheers .

16 Likes

A fresh homemade loaf of bread and a caprese salad. After the photo, we laid on some torn prosciutto around the rim and a little balsamico. Quite delicious. The basil was the last of 5 lbs that were purchased and “pesto’d.”

24 Likes

Comfort food and an easy dinner of stroganoff. Had ground pork out so used that with minced onions, beef bouillon, worcestershire sauce, lots of pepper, finished with sour cream and chives. Green salad and an iced cold martini rounded out the meal.

17 Likes

That just screams summer.

2 Likes

It felt that way. It had been a while that everything on the plate was more or less raw and cold, and I immediately thought - must repeat!

Thank you for the lovely compliment …

Hope you have been able to solve your dilema with PayPal.

Have a wonderful August too.

Tonight we made a variation on what a local restaurant (Chai Pani) calls Desi slaw. I adapted a dressing recipe for chaat masala salad from Meeera Sodha: black mustard seeds are popped in hot neutral oil, then salt, sugar, lots of lime juice, Kashmiri chili, chaat masala (spice blend), toasted coconut, and sesame seeds are stirred through. That’s poured over shredded green cabbage, shaved cucumber, chopped cilantro and basil, and dried cranberries. An addictive sweet-spicy-sour medley with plenty of crunch.

20 Likes

Power is out tonight, courtesy of tropical storm Isais. Yeah, we live in the Eastern part of Massachusetts but with so many trees around here a downed power line is a given. So tonight’s dinner was no-cook: slices of leftover eggplant tart and tomato salad bathed in olive oil and sprinkled with dried oregano.

The husband just connected the portable generator so that we don’t lose all the food in the fridge.

We might have poured a glass of wine.

I hope all the HO peeps are faring well.

12 Likes

Paging @Saregama - is all well?

1 Like

Zhajiangmian with celery, cucumber, frozen peas, and egg.

17 Likes

No power since noon. Was off from my main job today but had to teach via Zoom in the morning and thankfully got that in before it went black. All okay here…just very hot!

Dinner tonight: when I said I could cook Chicken Marsala blind, I didn’t mean it! Wanted to make use of chicken, mushrooms, and cream before I throw out my entire fridge. :rage:

Served over egg noodles.

19 Likes