What's For Dinner #60 - The Hot August Nights Edition - August 2020

Sorry I didn’t see this sooner. I second everything @shrinkrap said about shucking - though Mr Bean did the shucking not I. The only thing he did, I didn’t seen mention, was place the oysters on a bed of ice and let them chill in the fridge before shucking. He thinks that helps. He used a knife similar to the Dexter one. I do know that different varieties can be easier to open than others. These seemed pretty easy - Delaware Blue Point. I’m not sure if there were others available but these were relatively well-priced. $9 a dozen.

The were good and really hit the spot on a hot, very humid night.

Enjoy!!

5 Likes

Incredibly useful tips @MsBean! When I have my sights set on something new to me, I have learned that someone here usually has experience that will enlighten me. Thanks!

2 Likes

Your post has officially put San Remo on our must-visit list when we can travel again. Your beautiful photos speak volumes.

Enjoy!

2 Likes

We aim to please!

1 Like

Grilled bacon cheeseburgers, tater tots, COTC, and grilled asparagus. Happy we beat the storm.

17 Likes

On weekends we tend to have a bigger lunch out and something quick and light (or a protein shake) for dinner. I made summer squash sauteed in brown butter and OO with minced shallot, fresh basil, tomatoes, red pepper flake, s&p, and a splash of white wine vinegar.

12 Likes

Gorgeous food @MAH, with especially beautiful buns!

Mmmm the gifts of summer @ChristinaM

1 Like

So jealous - it looks wonderful!!!

I give you Sunday night dinner of reverse-seared ribeye finished with marrow butter, CSA corn, and green salad with quick pickled red onions of Tropea (my fave onion).

15 Likes

@gcaggiano You don’t need my advice at this point but if it might help others, husband is a “practicing paranoid”. He put a limit on the bank account that supports our PayPal account. He keeps it small, can jack it up if a hefty purchase is indicated. It is NOT linked to major accounts, so when it is maxed out, it is maxed out an doesn’t draw into other accounts. This seems extreme, but it has never constricted our purchases. Sending you all good thoughts. We live in financially complicated times.

3 Likes

I have a very longstanding PayPal account. I only use it for purchasing - I don’t sell anything. I get an honest-to-goodness paper bill in the mail every month and write a good, old-fashioned paper check to pay them with. We buy bits and pieces of things from online vendors and have used PayPal to rent apartments in Europe. When we’re going to be away from our mail for a period of time I cease to use PayPal and let my account go dormant. It’s the only paper bill we get, except for the electric bill for my husband’s small hobby shop on our property (the electric company will not agree to automatic payments for a commercial account) so we prepay several hundred in advance and let them figure it out.

3 Likes

Tapas-ish dinner, with Morcilla i bought at a local restaurant and sauteed, pan con tomate (including two that I burned! :sob:), corn on the cob for me, a saute of corn/shallots/leftover curtido for him, FM heirlooms with fresh mozz, arbequina evoo, kosher salt and basil, a little manchego, and a green salad. The morcilla was great, next time I’ll try cooking it in red wine.

18 Likes

And later an egg and cheese sammich on thinly-sliced Dave’s bread.

1 Like

the Dexter-Russell is now in my cart! I have the other kind you mentioned and while i can open them with a LOT of effort, it’s not comfortable. thanks for the tip!

1 Like

Hope it works for you!
I searched for pickled Fresno chilis

and found “Kenji’s cooking show”.

Tonight I made his version of chicken scarpariello.

Boneless skinless breasts for the hubs :disappointed: Bone in skin on thighs for me :grin:

Well recieved!

16 Likes

The whole Ligurian Coast is quite amazing.

We were at three different venues ( 2 bars with terraces and 1 restaurant ). Making our rounds !

I highly suggest San Remo … It is quite popular …

It is very close to Nice, France, approx. 25 - 30 minutes by car.

Have a lovely August and I hope that things are improving for the Usa.

Thank you for your lovely message.

2 Likes

Lovely oysters on the half shell !

We are grand fans ! When in season !

Have a wonderful August and all our best wishes during these challenging times.

Very nice! I do a similar Giambotta, which is essentially the “boneless” version of what you made. And it has homemade potato chips on top.

1 Like

PayPal used to be THE non-bank money transfer method for years, at least in the US. For all their supposed security, it didn’t help me very much.

You have a great August as well. I always look forward to your marvelous food pictures! :camera:

1 Like