What's For Dinner #60 - The Hot August Nights Edition - August 2020

Everything looks amazing @naf! I want to come to your house for dinner.

1 Like

This is one of my favorite things ever. There’s a restaurant in town that used to make a really good one, before ownership changed hands.:sob:

Thank you!

Just wow. Especially the shrimp, pizza, and tart

2 Likes

I don’t know how I missed sabich and amba before. They are everything I like.

2 Likes

Oh god haha yep. Just this week I’ve made a huge pot of Misr Wat, one of red beans for red beans and rice, and 2 other meals that produced bits and pieces of leftovers. I managed to squeeze some portions into the freezer, but gifted the rest to my aunt because I’m camping for most of next week.

1 Like

If you really like sabich, you should visit Israel and try Sabich Aricha in Jerusalem or HaKosem in Tel Aviv. I realize that Israeli cuisine also recognizes “sabich on a plate,” but having everything together in one bite in a pita is a different experience. In Manhattan I tried the sabich at Taim and found it disappointing.

1 Like

Here’s what kills me - I’ve been to Israel twice and somehow missed sabich both times. Oy vey! I guess I’ll have to go back again. Aricha and HaKosem are two of the places Solomonov talks about in his book.

I did put everything into a pita it just wasn’t very pretty but it sure tasted good.

3 Likes

I started putting chopped kimchi in my grilled cheeses a while back, and it takes it to a whole nother level. So good. The richness of the cheese and the sharpness of the pickle compliment in each in the best way.

7 Likes

I smoked country-style pork ribs all afternoon and served 'em with broccoli mac n cheese and a garden kale salad with basil, peaches, cashews, and currants. Delish, if I do say so! I also brought some ribs to my friend with a new baby and made her sides of corn pudding, cole slaw, lactation brownies, and some purchased potato roll sliders.

20 Likes

Looks delish!

One of the littles here said at bedtime the other night (deep thoughts, you know) - “I love all the kinds of mac and cheese, you know, except for when someone inserts vegetables” - the horror! Also, “I think all moms and aunts and grandmoms make great mac and cheese. I don’t know why, I just know they do.”

5 Likes

Your mac and broc and cheese looks very saucy. What’s your trick? Do you bake it? I don’t get that texture when I bake mine.

1 Like

next pandemic, i’m socially distancing chez vous!

4 Likes

yep! i’ve done kimchi grilled cheese and kimchi patty melts, but this was my first kimchi reuben. Kimchi in everything, henceforth!

3 Likes

Extra likes for your post; very helpful to think of people with new babies with prepared meals @ChristinaM.

3 Likes

Pork-a-palooza in progress.

I broke down a giant pork shoulder into 3 yesterday, marinated for (1) porchetta-style roast, (2) char siu, and (3) momofuku-style bo ssam.

The porchetta and bo ssam pieces are slow-roasting in the oven, I think the former will be dinner tonight, because I don’t have scallions for my favorite bo ssam accompaniment.

I decided to let the char siu marinate another day or two, plus I have chicken kababs marinating (it feels like a pandemic kabab factory over here) so they can all go on the grill this weekend.

Pics after almost 3h slow-roasting: I decided to move the pan positions and rotate them as well. And belatedly scored the bo ssam to render and crisp better, as I had already done to the “porchetta” during prep.

19 Likes

No problem, you need to visit France.

1 Like

Veleveeta - stovetop☺️

2 Likes

The last time I offered to make noodle soup (from a packet), he asked with trepidation if I would be adding carrots. Not a fan🤪

I often add sauteed, shredded zucchini to mac, but broccoli and yellow squash are often rejects.

1 Like

It’s Friday.
That means steak tips.
I didn’t have any when I checked the freezer last night.

BUT…I had a very small beef tenderloin.
So that’s WWFD.

Seasoned with Penzeys’ English Prime Rib seasoning (not a lot because it seemed too salty in my initial taste test), a sprinkle of dried rosemary and roasted to a perfect medium-rare.

Gravy was found in the way way back of the freezer. Perfect 1/2 cup amount for the size of this roast.

Sides were roasted Yukon Gold potatoes tossed with olive oil, s/p, and Penzeys’ Mural of Flavor, and a mix of peas and corn from the freezer…because I have no veggies in my veggie drawer. :flushed:

There was definitely wine.

17 Likes