What's For Dinner #60 - The Hot August Nights Edition - August 2020

looks are plainly deceiving - my knot-work was amateur at best! but thanks.

I’m moving on . Cheers. :wine_glass:

Chinese-ish tonight.

Vegetarians had baked tofu with peanut-sesame sauce and roasted broccoli.

I made steamed chicken with black mushrooms. Fine, but not my usual chicken because the mushrooms had been marinated by someone else.

13 Likes

My daughter is back home, and she made this; she calls it “a tortilla and an egg”.

I made some chicken for a side . The carrots were store bought. :open_mouth:

12 Likes

As close to authentic tasting chicken vindaloo I’ve made, though the process greatly differs. I had boneless chicken thighs rubbed with salt, pepper, and curry powder and then browned them in the skillet. Removed and fried onion. I deglazed with vinegar since traditional vindaloo uses that. I then added Patak’s simmer sauce, a ridiculously spicy hot sauce (meant for three drops but a couple extra slippedout :dizzy_face:), and eventually the chicken after cubing. Also added par-boiled potatoes in keeping with the original version of this dish (Portuguese influence).

No booze tonight and thankfully so because my mouth is ON FIRE.

20200831_225301

20200831_225405

15 Likes

Linda! But where’s the wine!

1 Like

Crab cake, slaw, potatoe 08-31

Maryland style crab cakes, house made cocktail sauce, duck fat fried potatoes (with cracklings) and Savoy slaw.

13 Likes

@Saregama What an extraordinary story. Although there have been rough patches with your family that you’ve chronicled here and you are probably tired as hell of being away from home, maybe a renewed sense of togetherness and unconditional family love is the happy result of a frightening situation. Glad you’re here. And were there.

PS Through your posts, I’ve felt like you’ve been underappreciated by your family. You’ve been cooking for a crowd with different dietary needs for a long time. :clap:

12 Likes

I don’t understand. Did I miss something?

2 Likes

Welcome, tasty. Good eatin’ and good people here.

1 Like

I’ve created September’s thread here:

3 Likes

It was too late by the time I sat down to dinner - and it was a Monday. I try and limit my imbibification to Thursday through Sunday. :wink:

3 Likes

Bizarre.

1 Like

I organized the spices a couple of months in, because the drawer was an utter disaster. I grouped them by cuisine, as that’s how they’re used - “western” herbs on one side, “asian” cuisine ingredients in a group, and indian stuff on one side (just the shaker/finishing spices - the cupboard has the big bottles that are used if we are actually cooking indian food).

Then two months later they were jumbled a bit and my sil decided to organize them alphabetically (she uses the spices least of the 3 adults).

When I opened the drawer next, I had to suppress a belly laugh. When my sibling opened the drawer later, he couldn’t help himself - they had been arranged right to left.

I joked that she secretly reads Arabic/Urdu or Hebrew - I’ve never seen anyone go the opposite way on the English alphabet :rofl: (also grateful she never had to shelve books at the college library like I did :joy:).

3 Likes

@TheLibrarian28, it was so long ago, I’ve forgotten! I was there all the way back in 1975. Think it was a Ramos Gin Fizz they were famous for. It had a big wooden deck, and was a famous place, casual seeming.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: What’s For Dinner #61 - the Back to (Home) School Edition - Sept. 2020

Love invention! Your offspring is is a gem.

1 Like

Last night, August 31st, we had tuna noodle casserole. Palate, but not picture worthy, salad on the side.

6 Likes

I love tuna noodle casserole. Comfort food at it’s finest. Put peas in it and you don’t even need a salad.

2 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: What’s For Dinner #61 - the Back to (Home) School Edition - Sept. 2020