What's For Dinner #60 - The Hot August Nights Edition - August 2020

Looks fantastic to me! We’ve been on a Ritz kick lately anyway. - before the Pandemic I hadn’t had any in a good 25+ years? Inspiration!

3 Likes

Sweet and sour tofu sounds awesome- I’m adding it to my list. I’ve done a sesame tofu, but never even thought about sweet and sour. Thanks for the inspiration!

1 Like

This, exactly. I could feed half my street for like a week, and each day could be something from a completely different food culture. I’m a hot mess.

2 Likes

Yeah, knowing myself, I can only imagine! It’s a little crazy, but it could be worse…as in habits to have @Ct.ebner84.

Yup - when I make meat sauce, I make a BIG pot - and usually at least four 2-cup containers go into the downstairs freezer for easy reheating on the flame tamer.

When I make pot roast - at least 3 slices of roast with gravy go into shallow Rubbermaid containers.

When I make soup - it’s a big pot and those 2-cup Ziploc containers come in handy again.

When I make mac & ham & cheese - I do so in small rectangular foil containers so I can pull one out in the a.m. and it’s defrosted by dinnertime for easy baking after topping with Panko.

But even with ALL of that food, I still buy more shit at the stupidmarket. :laughing:

5 Likes

For those who didn’t see this thread and have asked about @meatn3, I found an old email address for her on her CH profile and took a chance, and she is thankfully ok.

I do hope she’ll be back at some point, but in the meantime I’m sure she’d be happy to hear from us here (or via email) - I know I was.

8 Likes

Wumo hoarding

6 Likes

Saaaaaaaame!

1 Like

I only have them on hand for breading dishes like that one (usually Schnitzel).

Chicken adobo with stir-fried cabbage mixed w/ leftover brown rice.

In keeping with the discussion, I made enough for at least one more meal. :sweat_smile:

12 Likes

I almost forgot! My DH made “quick” mozarella, which we ate with tomatoes and basil from the garden. It was great!

Also, my three year-old sat down to dinner tonight and said, “Thank you, Mama, for my meal.” :exploding_head:

24 Likes

:sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

He then proceeded not to eat the meal, but later allowed himself to be spoon-fed while watching a kiddie movie before bed. Then he tried to persuade me that because he’s three years old, he should be allowed to eat three miniature donuts. :thinking:

10 Likes

I blame my mom (she is the BEST) for buying me a vacuum sealer for Christmas a few years ago. I must cook like you do- it’s hard or pointless to scale down a lot of things, and I feel super comforted knowing that I always have a good meal (or like 20) in the freezer no matter what.

3 Likes

Sound logic on his part, I must say. :wink: His negotiating skills are only going to get better. You’re screwed. LOL

4 Likes

100%

He borrowed my logic for limiting bedtime stories and used it against me.

3 Likes

I can’t wait until my 2 year old nephew provides some gems like that. Kids are hilarious.

2 Likes

Tsardusted pork chop with a gingery plum ketchup, maple-mashed sweet potatoes, and broccoli. Perfect dinner for the cooler weather that rolled in this afternoon, even though I didn’t know it would chill out like this tonight.

Wine.

Will have to pick up some more black plums to make some more plum ketchup, as that’s the last of it in my freezer.

And a sunset with fire clouds after the thunderstorm that came through earlier this evening.

16 Likes

Quick and easy. Roasted tiny potatoes, cabbage with apples ‘n onions (and caraway and cider vinegar), broiled seitan that spent the day in a beef-esque marinade. Horseradish, yogurt, Dijon sauce on the side. Sauce was thinner than I anticipated, but tasted fine.

8 Likes

South Indian tonight - Idli, dosai, sambhar, chutney, potato bhaji.

Coincidental given tonight’s DNC, lol.

Kid request of funnel cake for dessert day - I must immodestly pat myself on the back for what looked and tasted right on - too bad I don’t eat funnel cake :joy:

16 Likes