What's For Dinner #6 - Feb 2016. The Hunker Down Edition

Oh wow. Now were these bone-in? Could I use boneless, skin on?

These were bone in but certainly doable with boneless skin on

1 Like

With rain forecast for this evening we’ve opted to leave for our camping trip tomorrow morning rather than tonight as planned. There’s nothing worse than attempting to erect a tent in the rain at night with an overtired, car bound four year old in tow - except maybe dismantling a tent in the rain.

Sorrel from the garden joins onion and goat’s cheese in a tart for tonight’s dinner and tomorrow’s breakfast on the road. Lettuce salad on the side. The egg averse child has asked for meatballs so I’m making a batch of pork & fennel balls that will serve as her dinner tonight and our dinner tomorrow night.

Fingers crossed for good weather for the remainder of Waitangi weekend - New Zealand’s often contentious national holiday.

4 Likes

That’s a great meal. I love chicken piccata and yours looks especially good

1 Like

Wonderful, Frizzle. I do hope you and your family enjoy the book. Please note that I do not hesitate to substitute or include ingredients to suit our likes and dislikes, but try to stay true to the spirit of the recipe as written. Buon appetito!

@Gio - is this the book that the green split pea soup you cooked a few weeks back came from? Iota I k you substituted turkey stock for chicken stock? copied those ingredients down and get impatient for cooler weather every time I see them.

Beef braised in imperial stout. The beer is made by my acquaintance who is also the owner of his own little brew pub (where I am a regular). Gave him some yesterday so he could try it, too.

The “silly season” has officially kicked off. The hardcore party animals take the whole week off every year! I can imagine Lingua in her silly costume singing and dancing (and drinking!) all night long. I shall be in my quiet house eating and drinking, and reading.

Have a fantastic weekend, everyone!

2 Likes

WFD: 1.) Green salad from Yotam Ottolenghi’s “Nopi”. Sumac, red onion, olive oil, sherry vinegar, bit of sugar, and ground allspice, S & P. Escarole, and Healthy eight mixed vegetables (red and green cabbages, carrots, broccoli, jicama, bell peppers, radishes and celery) standing in for arugula and mizuna.

2.) Toasted cheese sandwiches w Emmanthal, sauerkraut, sliced sweet onion, prosciutto OR Serrano ham. Whole wheat bread. (because no dark rye, bah.)
Homemade 1000 Island Sauce:
3/4 c mayo
1/4 c chili sauce
1/8 c ketchup
2 T prepared horseradish

5 Likes

Yes. It’s a case of changing the ingredients… The title of the recipe is “Yellow Pea Soup”. I only had green splits so used those.

Here’s a link to the indexed recipes with the main ingredients. listed:
http://www.eatyourbooks.com/library/recipes?q=16715%20"Twelve+Months+of+Monastery+Soups"

Quite busy lately, but still try to find time to cook and to do eat decently. WFD is chicken with Frita: bell peppers cooked with tomato sauce, paprika, garlic… (think Piperade from Basque but without onion). Frita is Mr. N’s favourite dish.

[quote=“naf, post:10, topic:3279”]

stuffed squid. Onion, bell peppers, Chorizo, garlic, tomato, rice, paprika and Parmesan.
[/quote] I’m quite absent minded these days, photo took the same night but thought I’ve uploaded. Here comes the pic!

5 Likes

I pulled some ribs from the last time my husband BBQ’d out of the freezer and I’ll find a bag of some sort of frozen veggie. I added some grated gruyere to my spaetzel and I’m going to saute the spaetzel in butter and add more cheese to it. I’ve never done that, but it sounds good to me. My daughter loves spaetzel and this is for her – she is having a long, frustrating commute home from work due to the snow and our horrendous public transportation system.

3 Likes

Seared scallops, cubed mango and slaw

8 Likes

Ohhhhh…THAT sounds wonderful!

Damn.

Just leftovers of last night’s dinner - but I am having a small glass of wine with dinner. :slight_smile: So no pics of dinner, but just a couple of pics of today while at work - the tree is opposite our office’s front door, and the second is looking up the street after the storm had passed.

6 Likes

Last week I told him his imperial stout is nice on tap but bottle version is better in a braise. He was kind of surprised. I’m objective and very direct in my delivery. And he’s somewhat sensitive to criticism. But yes, it was nice and tender after being left to its own devices for several hours.

What she says!

Very nice. Mine always look like a mess. I can’t seem to stuff or roll.

You’re doing OK! In some parts of the world cheese Spätzle is a regional dish.

German Wiki page has a nice picture of it and some info as well (unfortunately texts are not in English but there are loads of recipes and further info to be found on the interwebz).

1 Like

@Frizzle [quote=“Frizzle, post:28, topic:3279”]
A late dinner for me will be bangus sisig (milk fish sisig). I bought it pre made on a whim and it’s sat in the freezer waiting for an outing.
[/quote]
Oh man, I just had a (wonderful) flashback to our recent trip to the Philippines, where I got hooked on bangus and garlic rice for breakfast. Don’t think I can find that here in Boston in a restaurant but I could be wrong.

1 Like

WFD yesterday consisted of two leftover Pizza Hut slices (meh) at a friend’s house towards the end of my shift… but, of course, I got a dispatch 5 minutes before clocking out. Just my luck.

Once I was done, I ordered a Puddle Jumper from Wingsover my man and I shared — because I still had celery at home, and how can you not order wings and blue cheese sauce? You have to :slight_smile:

As for tonight - not a clue. Working till 11 pm. My man’s invited to a dinner party. There’s a nice big head of orange cauli I could roast, or a few heads of Belgian endive I could braise in butter & lemon, one of my favorite ways to prepare them. Either way, this junk food thing needs to stop.

Happy Saturday, y’all!

1 Like

Whipping up a batch of butter bean burgers I saw on Vivian Howard’s show A Chef’s Life. I’ve made these before and they are tasty and a nice alternative to a no meat lunch or dinner

1 Like

3 Likes