What's For Dinner #6 - Feb 2016. The Hunker Down Edition

Just barely made it thru my gig… sucks when your voice just doesn’t do what you want it to do. At least there weren’t a lot of people there — and our guest sax/clarinet was awesome, as usual.

I had a crappy tom kha gai from a local restaurant for dinner. Meh.

Looking forward to tomorrow night’s Sichuan jour fixe :grin:

Two nights ago, I made what Serious Eats calls “Chicken Fajita” but was just your standard marinated chicken thighs with Mexican seasonings. After marinating, I “grilled” the chicken on a cast iron indoor grill pan and set up a taco bar of sorts. Warmed corn tortillas, pico de gallo, crema, black beans, and a beautiful avocado. I would definitely make this again. Nice flavor. I did substitute a serrano pepper for the crushed red pepper.

This became lunch the next day.

1 Like

WFD: ~ Roast Bone-In Turkey Thighs. Air dried in the fridge all day, seasoned with TJ’s 21 spice & additional turmeric. Chopped potatoes, onions, carrots, parsnips, and garlic cloves will be tossed with olive oil, cayenne, cumin, turmeric, S & P and added to the roasting pan with the thighs.

~ For greens we’ll have Escarole sauteed the typical Italian way with olive oil, red pepper flakes, S & P, and few anchovies to melt away and enhance the over all flavor. If we were not having the turkey I’d add cannellini too. Along with roasted potatoes that would be another meal for another day.

2 Likes

WFLunch today was fish pie – cod, spinach and hard cooked egg, surrounded by a cream and cheddar sauce (w/onions and carrots and parsley) and topped with mashed potatoes. I hosted bridge today, and this comfort food really hit the spot. Leftovers are WFD tonight.

For dessert I served Nutella Cake posted by rstuart on CH: this was a HUGE hit with the ladies!

4 Likes

Tossed 12 chicken thighs in the sous vide bath today. Seasoned with salt, thyme and rosemary. Quick chilled and these will be future dinners at least one bag may make it in the oven tomorrow for a mock chicken confit.

Tonight a quick dinner of coleslaw and seared salmon

5 Likes

scoobie, re the thighs, at what temp for how long? I’ve not given enough work on the SV.

146f X 3 hrs will do it

1 Like

Segregated eats tonight. The bloke and the four year old are off to a yakatori bar while I have an appointment. A late dinner for me will be bangus sisig (milk fish sisig). I bought it pre made on a whim and it’s sat in the freezer waiting for an outing.

If the weather plays ball we’re heading off camping for the long weekend. Sadly the hot pot family aren’t joining us so there won’t be a repeat of that extravaganza.

1 Like

I will finish these in a hot oven to brown and improve texture.

Yeah, I figured that. My SV experiences haven’t been that great. It’s been all large chunks of beef. Need to branch out.

Keeping a few bags of these in the freezer makes for easy, tasty and quick evening meals.

That’s exactly my thought. I love having a really good tasting and quick option. Thanks, kiddo.

Baby lamb chops grilled with evoo & rosemary, S&P on top of some black beans , kale , yellow onions and minced Jalapeño…Twice stuffed potato; cheddar, gouda, asiago, butter and heavy cream; a fan of sliced avocado.

7 Likes

WFD: Escarole and Cannellini Minestra. Olive oil, onions, parsnip (instead of turnip), white beans, chicken broth (instead of water), white wine, escarole, S & P, grated Parmigiano for each serving. Garlicky grilled focaccio is an almost obligatory accompaniment.

This is a delightful and hearty soup from a cookbook titled, “Twelve Months of Monastery Soups” by Brother Victor-Antoine d’Avilla- Latourette. It’s a terrific little book whose recipes produce soups of all types that burst with flavor, without needing many ingredients or taking an eternity to make. This is about the fourth soup we’ve cooked from it so far this year.

5 Likes

I’ve prepped some buttermilk ranch dressing for a big-ass salad upon my return from work tonight at 10:30, and my man will grill a nice piece of chuck-eye, of which I will have the room temp leftovers.

3 Likes

Chicken Piccata over penne

9 Likes

Sous vide chicken thighs are in the oven browning and taters are boiling for a good mash as a side

1 Like

Spaghetti and sawce last night. It was, after all, Prince Spaghetti Day. And the woman who played Anthony’s mother in the Prince Spaghetti commercial back in the 1970s (“ANTHONY! ANTHONY!” hollered out a North End window) passed away the day before, so had to enjoy spaghetti in honor of her.

Tonight is simple - some Stonewall Kitchen’s Lemon-Dijon Vinaigrette was augmented with some Meyer Lemon zest, dried lemon-thyme, honey, and a bit of extra olive oil, all shaken up in a jar and poured over a Frankenchicken breast. Into the oven at 350° for a half hour, then 400° to finish up, basting a couple of times.

Side is broccoli. No starch, no wine.

1 Like

Sous vide chk thighs from the other day. Into a hot CI skillet and roasted until brown.

The “good stuff” that stuck to the CI skillet was added to the mashed potatoes. Decadent I know but so damn good

7 Likes

Sold. I just purchased a copy, it sounds like just the thing we would love to cook from. Thank you for mentioning it.

1 Like