What's For Dinner #6 - Feb 2016. The Hunker Down Edition

WFD: Turkeyburgers simply seasoned w a dash of ground cumin and turmeric, S & P, topped w homemade 1000 Island Dressing. It was so good with last night’s sandwich!

Speaking of last night we’ll have the Nopi Green Salad that was postponed. So we don’t have to substitute anything because arugula and baby salad leaves are being bought as I type. The dressing consists of: sumac, red onion, olive oil, sherry vinegar, bit of sugar, allspice, S & P. Come to think of it I think I’ll add a few unseasoned croutons to this salad, for the dressing you know…

2 Likes

Pulled the trigger on some lighting for the kitchen (Lowes) and dining room (Amazon) today. An exercise in almost-futility, as I like the style of one item, and the color of another, blah, blah, blah. Figured I just needed to get my ass in gear with a decision. We’ll see how it looks when the electrician gets it installed.

Dinner ended up being Pork Marsala, steamed Yukons, and green beans. Wine. I’ll be watching “Burnt” with Bradley Cooper, Sienna Miller, Uma Thurman and Emma Thompson. I will, of course, compare it to the excellent flick, “Chef”, since the premise is basically the same.

4 Likes

Warm comforting dinner in order. I’m exhausted from a crazy week and sleep issues (i.e. DH’s man flu and congestion snoring :mask:). Tossed a bunch of baby broccoli into the rest of last weekends roasted cherry tomatoes. Orecchiette, red pepper flakes, a few dollops of fresh ricotta rounded out our one bowl dinner. I had wine.

3 Likes

Nice! I’ve added those to my to make soon list. Over the years i have made and eaten a lot of veggie burgers (i’ve been veg since the only storebought option was the original gardenburger!)
One of my favorites is the ppk beet burger- it actually works better with canned lentils. Oh, and i omit the fennel pollen and add in a good gob of dijon too. Best done stovetop but i’ve also baked them as meatless balls
http://www.theppk.com/2012/02/quarter-pounder-beet-burger/

2 Likes

Between rain and wind the weather just didn’t play ball with our camping plans. We opted to spend the long weekend at home and have been pottering about doing odd jobs around the house instead of the initially planned frolicking at the seaside.

Tonight’s dinner was a greens from the garden filled ravioli with a walnut sauce. The greens were mainly
silverbeet (chard) mixed with basil and marjoram. An onion was finely diced and cooked till sweet to mix in with the chard. I considered making ricotta to go into the filling them decided I felt like something rich in greens.

7 Likes

Super Bowl dinner tonight - Buffalo wings and pizza dip (hot italian sausage mixed with cream cheese, topped with marinara sauce and mozzarella and baked)! I’m also baking a loaf of sourdough for a friend who’s coming over, but I’m planning to use pork rinds to shovel the pizza dip into my gullet.

2 Likes

Non meat eaters avert your eyes now.

A heavy dinner. 2.5hrs roasting on low heat. Marinade has Vietnamese fish sauce, minced lemongrass, and sherry. Eaten with a big plain salad (far bigger than seen in the photos) and some baguette. Vietnamese “nuoc cham” made it even better.

Here it is, beef short ribs. Very strong beefy smell, but good beefy smell.

This is the whole1.5kg after roasting. Eur.13/kg. Ordered from my trusty organic butcher’s shop a week in advance.

3 Likes

I’m surprised the meat ‘pulled back’ that much at a low temp for that amount of time. Assume you browned before roasting.

Yes, briefly. There’s still a lot of meat left considering how much it “pulled back”.

@Presunto

Like catoliver, the pics showed the meat as if they were cooked normally.

Compared to high heat cooking, was it more tendered?

Fish mullet, cooked in oven, was stuffed with leek and ginger, with sesame oil and light soy sauce.
Salad is mâche, radish, feva beans, beet and augula with a raspberry vinegar.

6 Likes

Went with chili for Super Bowl Sunday, topped with grated cheddar, sour cream, and minced green onions. Sides were mini corn muffins, and a salad with a lime-honey-mustard vinaigrette. There’s wine.

6 Likes

Lamb tagine, minus the tagine. I love this kinda food

2 Likes

I don’t have a tagine. Recipe link? I have a bunch of local, grass fed lamb in my freezer!

“Minus the tagine”. I don’t have one either. Enameled cast iron pot, Dutch oven…works great for a lot of things.

No recipe per say. You can kinda see what’s in there, but a can of diced tomatoes, 1/2 can of paste, stocks-lamb and chicken, onions, garlic, preserved lemons, blanched almonds, chickpeas, green olives, (herbs and spices), parsley,cilantro, baharat spices, cumin, corriander, dried peppers (guajillo, morita and paprika) and a touch of honey to round out the edges. Kinda all I can think of.

Over rice it was red light food.

1 Like

Almost cassoulet : ) My Staub also doubles as a tagine.

Naf, oven temperature was at 150C (low?). There was quite a bit of fat in 2 layers. It kept the meat moist.

I have a tagine (Staub), but I find a cocotte or dutch oven is more practical, more space to stir things or for reducing vegetables.

I talked to an Algerian, to make a real difference, you need a tagine in clay, the more you cook with the pot, the more aromatic it becomes. Those pretty ones glazed are just reserved for serving on the table.

150ºC is low, even 160ºC
I have some pork ribs in the fridge right now, I will try to use this method this week.

I cooked beef 160ºC for 4 hours in a cocotte in oven…super tender!

Worked till 10 PM last night, then went over to the local hot pot restaurant for the Chinese New Year celebration, hosted by the owner of the CBDTR and several other establishments in town.

So, hot pot was for dinner. Delicious. And lots and lots of booze with the staff, karaoke silliness and a very, very, very late night. Sofa king tired today :sunglasses:

As for tonight - probably pork souvlaki. Big mixed salad on the side.

Happy Year of the Fire Monkey!

3 Likes

Steaming half a chicken now. After yesterday’s indulgences I want something lighter for a change. Chicken is being steamed with lots of ginger so I am going to eat it with a plain salad and Vietnamese fish sauce/Nuoc cham, and another sauce with tamari. White white to wash it down but don’t know what I have, otherwise beer will do.

I don’t care for Chinese birth year animal thing but who is here a monkey?! :grin:

1 Like