What's for Dinner #59 - the Summertime Covid Blues Edition - July 2020

Hope you have a great birthday weekend, @emglow101!

2 Likes

My Catch-Up postings for WFD:

Thursday ā€“ Pizza. Another Weewalka thin crust.

Friday ā€“ Boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts fired on Mo Weber. Leftover COTC joining in.

Saturday ā€“ Leftover Chicken Breasts repurposed as a stirfry.

No ideas percolating for dinner tonight, Sundayā€¦

11 Likes

Your dinner looks stunning, @MsBean. That tube of harissa is good stuff and the real deal.

I have been using a couple North American brands lately: Entube (which tastes more like a New Mexican chile paste to me) and New York Shuk. Both arenā€™t quite the flavor profile I expected, though are enjoyable In their own and very different ways.

1 Like

I give you what I call beach pasta. Thatā€™s the kind of summery pasta you make when you donā€™t really feel like cooking after coming home from a long walk on the beach.

Actually I make pasta like this with a simple salsa crudo as soon as summer tomatoes are available.

This uncooked sauce contained a big peachy-looking heirloom tomato (would have used two if I had it), the bud of a garlic scape, a bit of chopped fresh jalapeƱo, olive oil, and grated fresh mozzarella. We tore fresh basil leaves and grated Parmesan onto our plates at the table.

12 Likes

Iā€™ve been using Whole Foodsā€™ dry Harissa blend (in w the other dry spices) in a couple of dishes of late, and Iā€™ve been very happy with it. I ā€˜bloomā€™ it in the oil (as taught to do by my pal Chef Floyd Cardoz #RIP) and the flavor is fantastic.

@MsBean: It wonā€™t surprise you that I was applaudingā€¦ :grin:

5 Likes

Thanks for the tip on this blend, @CurlzNJ!

P.S. I should have also mentioned that Iā€™m not a fan of TJā€™s harissa or Mina brand harissa. I tried both at different points and neither had enough complexity for me to enjoy them.

1 Like

Just realized I should share the recipe that got me on the Harissa kick:

9 Likes

Thank you. And thank you for the harissa suggestions. For the past several years my SIL has been to France at least once a year and was able to bring some back just as I was about to run out. Alas not this year and I was beginning to fret about my dwindling supply.

I highly recommend the Harissa Chicken Thighs @CurlzNJ mentioned. They are delish.

4 Likes

Next time I make the Lemonnana I think Iā€™m going to used as an aged tequila instead of the white.

1 Like

Nice photos and nice subjects. I love harissa meatballs AND merguez sausage! Iā€™m thinking of doing the Harris thighs (gag- breast-gag for the husband no doubt) tonight.

2 Likes

Thank you. Sorry that your husband is a breast guy. Iā€™m lucky that Mr Bean is ok with thighs. Thanks for mentioning merguez as I think I may have some links somewhere on the bottom of my freezer as well. Yum.

2 Likes

Your meal looks fabulous @tomatotomato, and canā€™t tell you how much I love that plate! Very striking.

ETA - maybe itā€™s a shallow bowl?

Last nightā€™s WFD, was truly not picture worthy. After a day of deck painting for H, as well as a project and raspberry jam day for me, neither of us was in the mood for much of a meal effort. You would have seen a white flour tortilla quesadilla on a white plate. The inside wasnā€™t that exciting looking either, but it was tasty, and filling. Black beans, avocado, fresh jalapeƱo, green onions, cheddar and pepper jack cheeses. Then a movie - Ferrari vs. Ford. H liked it, I didnā€™t pay attention, because I didnā€™t feel like it. Will rewatch when in mood, usually like those kind of movies.

Tonight a better dinner is in order.

6 Likes

ETA. Oops! Already added.

2 Likes

ā€œSorry that your husband is a breast guyā€

Somewhere in there itā€™s good. Overall, we use the whole chicken.

Jack Sprat
The most common modern version of the rhyme is:[1]

Jack Sprat could eat no fat.
His wife could eat no lean.
But, together both,
They licked the platter clean.

I DO like breast when perfectly done, but that is not always the case.

There was a little girl

BY HENRY WADSWORTH LONGFELLOW

There was a little girl,

Who had a little curl,

Right in the middle of her forehead.

When she was good,

She was very good indeed,

But when she was bad she was horrid."

5 Likes

Hi @Lambchop! That bowl is a big, deep salad bowlā€”the kind you typically use to prepare and serve green salads. Itā€™s an oldie from Pier 1.

Thanks @tomatotomato - too bad Pier 1 is leaving us for good, they had a nice selection of thingsā€¦

ETA: ordered some new summer glassware and plastic serving pieces from them online, and on sale, a few weeks ago; when the order finally arrived, 4 of the 6 stemmed wine glasses were broken. Turned out you had to return damaged merchandise in person at one of their stores. Decided that my $16-20 credit wasnā€™t worth my health, time or gas, and didnā€™t want to task H with it. (Heā€™d say we didnā€™t need the cr*p in the first place) ā€¦so I reordered 4 glasses to replace. Nowhere to plead in special instructions to pack them well, either. Amazingly, they arrived early and intact. Iā€™m happy, and at least my unclaimed refund didnā€™t go to Jeff Bezosā€¦:upside_down_face: Maybe I can use them one of these summer nights soon, when the deck is done and we have Covid careful people over.

4 Likes

@shrinkrap, must say you are well ā€œversedā€ in your nursery rhymes, and childrenā€™s books! Iā€™m impressed! Glad too, the whole bird gets eaten!

2 Likes

Re the Longfellow poem: I have curly hair, and various people would recite that to me when I was a kid. It was probably appropriate!

1 Like

I attended a food and wine trade fair approx 10 years ago in San Francisco, Calif. and we went to an Italian Two Michelin Starred Restaurant ( ** Michelin Starred Acquerello ). The restaurant was quite exceptional.

We also had been to Manhattan a couple of times for food and wine trade fairs and some tourism.
We enjoyed Nyc as it has quite a dynamism.

4 Likes