What's for Dinner #59 - the Summertime Covid Blues Edition - July 2020

Tonight, I made crispy pork belly.

Poked holes in the skin after a brief blanch, dry-rubbed salt and five spice on the meat, then salt + baking soda on the skin. After a day’s rest, rubbed off the skin and neutralized the baking soda with a touch of vinegar. Roasted until the skin was super bubbly, scraped, oiled and finished until golden brown. There are secret tricks involving vodka and other unusual things done to the skin, but this was more than good enough for me.

23 Likes

Ohhhhh, MY! That looks amazing!

3 Likes

Ooooo. @jon914, that pork belly is making me covet my neighbor’s goods.

Oh well…

You guys are always posting about blistered green beans, so I gave them a try. I didn’t grow these. Also @pilgrim -inspired- stuffed-pork -loin.

15 Likes

Thanks! July till mid August here is always festive in spirit!

This looked really tasty!

That purple cauliflower! :star_struck:

1 Like

Dinner Thursday night. Spaghetti and Meatballs (ground turkey) in an homegrown tomato sauce (tomatoes from last year, frozen) served over thin spaghetti, Greek style with browned butter and Mizithra. Fresh green beans from the garden.

19 Likes

That all looks fantastic.

1 Like

Nice roulade there!

1 Like

Tonight a play on shrimp and grits. Shrimp and andouille over polenta.

15 Likes

Slow-cooker brisket and mac & cheese tonight. No pics, since it is a rather colorless “brown meal”. The brisket was larger than normal, so it ended up cooking much better. More tender and more drippings which made a good gravy.

There was an Appletini as well.

7 Likes

Shitty week, but finally quiet today. Spent Friday at the emergency vet cardiologist with a very sick dog. Ugh. But, with some meds he’s doing better. Dinner was a flat bread with sautéed onions, yellow squash slices, buffalo mozzarella, za’atar, few splashes of pomodoro sauce, and prosciutto. Wine for sure.

16 Likes

Great day before my birthday. Missed Shasta meats by 25 miles . My buddy who loves to drive I turn to him and say this doesn’t look right . He knows my sense of direction. Find it . Yes I’ve been here before. Driving through the most gorgeous country .Fabulous beef ribs from north east California. Smoked for 3 1/2 hour. Cheers .

19 Likes

Happy birthday!

2 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

Hope a speedy recovery for your dog.

3 Likes

Happy anni-birth-sary!

@emglow101

Happy Birthday!

A while back @tomatotomato posted a dinner of harissa meatballs which looked so good. I love harissa. Every time my SIL goes to France (she’s a French professor and is lucky to go often) she always brings back a few tubes of it making it easy to create harissa-infused dishes.

I found some ground lamb in the freezer which made harissa meatballs a no-brainer for dinner. Served with a chopped salad and roasted okra with tomatoes and dried lime from Zahav.

Since it was so hot we made a frozen version of Zahav’s Lemonnana but because The Sprout doesn’t like bourbon as called for by the recipe I made them with tequila. Not bad.

16 Likes

Glad he’s doing better! The helplessness for a human when the furry kids are sick is always so tough. The pizza looks great!

2 Likes