What's for Dinner #59 - the Summertime Covid Blues Edition - July 2020

In Spain, we eat our MAIN MEAL, lunch from approx. 14.00 - 16.00 …

So we spent all morning preparing this lunch for our 2 visitors (2 grandsons aged 7 & 8) …

Turned out quite exceptional actually …

Have a great weekend Shrinkrap.

5 Likes

It looks exceptional, and I am inspired.

I will do my best! It is crazy hot today. My garden thermometer is saying it can’t compute.

1 Like

Nice day here. 26 degrees centigrade …

And very breezy …

1 Like

As an aside, can I assume many in Spain might not be able to have lunch this way ? Or maybe they do. I have loved my travel in Spain, but got the impression that “lunch” was changing, and there was some good and some bad to it. My fantasy is that spending all morning preparing lunch would be “best”. If so, I think I’d love to retire there.

My son lives in Turkey, and it’s different. Different from where he grew up in Nor Cal, which is different from where I grew up in Queens NYC, which is different from where my daughter lives in Queens right now.

All good perspectives brought to us by "the internet ".

5 Likes

Lightened Up Pad Thai for Two
Cabbage Noodle Pad Thai
CABBAGE VEGETABLE PAD THAI
VEGETARIAN CABBAGE PAD THAI
Cabbage Pad Thai-ish
Cabbage Pad Thai with Baked Tofu

2 Likes

Stunning!

1 Like

What fun!!

1 Like

Tonight’s Playbill was filled with the usual stars with a few unexpected substitutes: grilled steak tips with Ballymaloe steak sauce, a baked tater, and sauteed spinach with shallots, garlic, and dark soy sauce.

The long-running Broadway favorite of simply grilled steak tips was greeted with much applause, and while there was disappointment in the Russet not being on stage tonight, the convection-baked understudy of a large Yukon Gold performed admirably. The asparagus also decided to take the night off, so spinach stepped in with a last minute’s notice, to much fanfare.

The wine almost never takes a weekend off, and sure enough, it arrived early at 6pm, and was still going strong when the curtain was raised at 8pm.

The Tillamook Waffle Cone Swirl ice cream might make an appearance at curtain call. It’s still in its chilly dressing room deciding whether to come out and wave to its adoring fans.

26 Likes

Bravo!

3 Likes

Encore!

4 Likes

Break a leg . The show must go on

4 Likes

Nigel Slater’s preserved tomatoes on grilled ciabatta, smeared with soft goat cheese (some with bacon.) Heaven, i could have just had the whole plate of those. But we had a lot of produce, so, big salad of FM curly red leaf lettuce, roasted orange cauli, spring onions, and radishes in a dijon vinaigrette. BF had to augment his dinner with an Italian sausage to ensure he got his daily recommended requirement of meat.

18 Likes

I love Nigel Slaters tomatoes! Do you know what kind you are using there?

Very impressed with your dumpling project, as well as the loving care that went into them, and the luxe ingredients. I’m sure everyone heartily enjoyed @Barca.

2 Likes

You do tend to do your research quite thoroughly @shrinkrap! :smiley_cat:

1 Like

Well, @LindaWhit, I’m certainly glad it wasn’t a “dark” night in the theatre this pm! You get a standing ovation for your post :+1::champagne::bouquet:

2 Likes

Ok @MsBean, @CurlzNJ, and @mariacarmen - absolutely no need to get your credit card out, regarding the ME cookbooks; simply memorize the numbers, as I have done. It’s AMAZINGLY handy for all sorts of situations - most highly recommend :joy_cat:

4 Likes

Mofongo was requested by my BF tonight. He always says I make the best he’s ever had (he’s a very straightforward critic so I believe him), but my version is far from traditional. I boil the plantains rather than fry them before mashing, use bacon instead of pork cracklins, and add diced onion for crunch (which is not normally included). One thing in common with “real” mofongo: lots of garlic! Served tonight with some baked chicken.

It’s currently pouring outside, so no fresh parsley garnish.

21 Likes

they were just called yellow cherry tomatoes at the FM…

1 Like

sorry - what are ME cookbooks?