What's For Dinner #58 - the Uncertain Certain Summertime Edition -June 2020

Gorgeous looking risotto and truffles! That is always a great combination.

2 Likes

Bummer about those ribs but that slaw sounds delicious!!!

1 Like

Wow, are those habaneros? Looks spicy!!! :fire::fire::fire:

1 Like

AH HA! No wonder The Sprout has been making all kinds of brown butter concoctions. Cookies, cakes, crumbles. Your daughter’s cookies look great. Mine hasn’t made CC (not her favorite) but I may have to suggest she try.

2 Likes

Quick dinner last night of roaster potatoes with lemon, oregano, basil, and added feta and sun dried tomatoes for serving. Andouille sausage sauteed with spinach and shallots.

16 Likes

Yes, it is a favorite of our´s too …

Thank you once again …

1 Like

Tonight’s dinner was pork meatballs with coconut rice, roasted broccoli and a quick pickle. Various cilantro, toasted sesame seeds, sweet and sour condiment and siracha YUM.

15 Likes

Ooh meatballs and coconut rice both sound soooo good to me!

2 Likes

I’ve found out how far a cup of Barley will stretch. In soup, six servings! Some goodies added to ours, but it was dinner last night. Tonight. And probably tomorrow. Kind of feels like eating Depression foods instead of Pandemic cooking. I’d do this again in the blink of an eye.

13 Likes

I made pad see ew (ish) with ground beef and regular broccoli. It was tasty, but snacks ruined the kiddo’s appetite. D’oh. Pac choi with butter, soy sauce, black vinegar, and chili crisp on the side.

19 Likes

“depression foods” = another phrase for most of the most delicious foods from country/farm kitchens around the world. Ironic that we entitled cooks now try to recreate the flavors of these homely dishes.
I’d join your table in less than your blink of an eye!

7 Likes

You know, I always end up soaking “too much” barley, though it’s really the right amount, but so filling in soup that I can’t eat as much as I would otherwise.

Now you’ve made me crave barley soup!

2 Likes

They are "aji dulce " peppers. Great aroma, and almost no heat.

4 Likes

another winner from the BF - braised short ribs. similar to the pot roast the other night, but more spices/herbs. Buttery mash, and green beans.
Perfect for our June-gloomy weather today.

18 Likes

Nice . I dont miss the June gloomy weather as a native of Santa Cruz. Super gorgeous here in mt Shasta. 89 degrees, clear with a fabulous view of the mountain.

3 Likes

And beautiful color!

2 Likes

I don’t necessarily love June gloom, but 89 is waaaaay too hot for me these days. Give me a nice, sunny, 73 with a light breeze and I’m happy

6 Likes

I know , I know . I’ve been through over 12 , 000 foggy days . Just hanging on the deck , shorts on . Glass of wine .

5 Likes

Yum, barley soup! Now I’m craving barley and mushroom.

1 Like

Last night marked the seasonal return of my greens pie. It’s what I do when we have a pile of greens to use from our CSA share. We call this BLD pie at our house, because it’s equally agreeable for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

This one’s got Red Russian kale, Swiss chard, sautéed sweet peppers, onion, garlic scape, feta, eggs, dried dill, and dried Urfa chile in the filling.

As a bonus, I always have a little extra pie crust left that gets turned into a crostata. (I use prepared pie dough because after cleaning, blanching, draining, and chopping greens in a hot kitchen, I’m okay with not making my own dough.)

This crostata used the remainder of a jar of Greek cherry spoon sweet that I didn’t love. Dollop of tangy Greek yogurt on the side.

19 Likes