What's For Dinner #58 - the Uncertain Certain Summertime Edition -June 2020

Yum! Great filling combo. The urfa pepper is a great addition. And that crust looks terrific. Do you have a favorite brand? I usually use Trader Joe’s, but last time I bought one they were packing them in flat boxes, which are much easier to use but won’e fit in my side-by-side freezer. I’ve been stuck making my own lately.

Coincidentally, we had my not-authentic spanakopita last week. The filling is spinach, feta, cottage cheese, sauteed onions, eggs and some parm. Not sure what got into me, since I usually score it on the diagonal, but it still tasted good.

14 Likes

Lovely spanatopika original …

I make mine with phyllo and spinach with goat cheese or sheep milk Feta.

We are big fans of Aegean Mezzedes …

1 Like

I’ll be right there with my fork to eat any of your leftover spanakopita from a safe distance. :wink: Looks great!

I just used my last package of TJ’s frozen pie dough, which (formerly?) came rolled up in a skinny rectangular box.

I’m partial to pie dough with few ingredients, so in the past when I ran out of TJ’s I would sub a couple of frozen fill-and-bake pie crusts from the supermarket. I allowed the crusts to thaw and soften enough so that I could flip one crust out of its pie tin to serve as a top crust.

3 Likes

Oh, thanks. I didn’t check TJ’s freezer section when I was there last, so I’m not sure how the pie crust is sold now. It sure is good, though. I also fall back on Oronoque from the supermarket when I don’t have TJ’s and don’t feel like making my own.

1 Like

I repurposed leftover Father’s Day grilled lamb into Iskender. Served with a roasted beet and cilantro salad dressed with fennel, sumac and garlic yogurt.

15 Likes

Our farm share veg runneth over. I made minted sugar snap peas, grilled chicken thighs with garlic, lemon, and thyme, cucumber salad with sherry-orange vinaigrette, and buttery quinoa and beet greens with dried cherries and toasted almonds.

17 Likes

Apparently people say I look skinny. I have worked my ass off in the last three weeks. I have a very high metabolism. So I’ve taken upon myself to go on the 2,000 plus calorie dinner diet for a month. Granola for breakfast and everything in between. Dinner 16 oz piece of prime steak , 1 1 /2 cups cooked pinto beans and 1 avocado. I already feel fatter after 5 days . 3 weeks to go . We’ll see how it goes for this experiment… For tomorrow . A little salt on the ribeye curing in the fridge.

Target 10 pounds gained. Cheers. :wine_glass:Cowboy on the trail diet .

18 Likes

Nothing like growing it!

1 Like

That’s what my brother said back in 1970

4 Likes

So much can be made of a vague statement taken out of context :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As someone who was in her teens in the 70s, I had the exact same thought as you, @Sasha. LOL

Four cheese tortellini (from BJs, very good, and freezes well in small packages!), with a quick homemade Parma Rosa sauce, frizzled prosciutto, and a basil chiffonade.

Crusty buttered roll and wine alongside. :wink:

21 Likes

Guisado de pollo: onions, garlic, chicken, homemade chicken stock, potatoes, green beans, bay leaves, carrots, cherry toms, manzanilla olives, cilantro, Sazon Goya with cilantro and achiote, smoked paprika, cayenne, chipotle powder, granulated garlic, and a squirt of harissa (by accident), which actually worked. the best thing, however was i chopped up a dry old corn tortilla and dissolved it in the broth, giving it a satisfying corniness. what was unforgivable, however, was that I FORGOT TO MAKE RICE. It would have been so much better with rice! Still, another good dish for a cool, blustery day. Big old FM salad on the side.

19 Likes

Oven baked Spare Ribs. Low & slow. Michigan farmed Asparagus. Delightful

20 Likes

Finally! Buffalo turkey wings .

15 Likes

How similar to Emeril’s New Orleans style BBQ shrimp recipe, do you know?

That sounds amazing, especially if it’s still okay without rice. …But what is this cool, blustery day you speak of? Certainly not here. It was a hot-like-when-you-open-an-oven-on-roast day.

1 Like

The Spout went to college in Rochester, NY (RIT) where Garbage Plates are a late night tradition.
A traditional Garbage Plate starts with a choice of cheeseburger, hamburger, Italian sausages, steak, chicken, white or red hots (a local hot dog thing), served on top of any combination of home fries, french fries, baked beans, and/or macaroni salad. The pile is then topped with “hot sauce” which in this context is a spicy meat sauce, usually spiced with cumin, cayenne, allspice, cloves and cinnamon. Optional mustard and onions may be added on top. I like ketchup too.

She decided to made a Vegetarian Garbage Plate (an oxymoron), using tofu for in the meat sauce., veggie burger, roasted potatoes and homemade mac salad. It was really good.

18 Likes

Thanks for the detailed “recipe,” I’ll be making this! With rice :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

So kind of like a Coney dog or Cincinnati chili, but on top of fried potatoes or mac salad! Just when I thought I’d heard of everything…