What's For Dinner #58 - the Uncertain Certain Summertime Edition -June 2020

61376241553__001F415C-222C-496C-9DE1-94AFB27A7515.jpeg

Torched cheese omelette. Nice char; almost pizza crust.

Handles well on road gigs sans cooking appliances.

16 Likes

I have not been able to get this out of my mind ever since I saw your photo the other day. Made it tonight and it is sooo good. Thank you! And RB too of course.:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

We made packaged gnocchi crisped in sage brown butter, served over a schmear of vodka sauce and delicious local Italian sausage. Salad with lettuce from our friends’ garden and balsamic vinaigrette on the side. Our newly minted 3 year-old threw an annoying tantrum about not wanting to eat this unfamiliar meal - dramatically pushing the bowl away across the table multiple times. We kept our cool and I persuaded him to try a bite of the sausage, and explained that the gnocchi were like “crispy french-fry pasta”. He bought it and ate heartily. Gratifying. It’s all in the pitch.

22 Likes

I’m impressed with your sales techniques! My kid said tonight she didn’t want to eat dinner but only wanted snacks. I’m said oh ok, here are fun snacks of farro and broccoli. She ate them both. No fish but more for me ha!!!

6 Likes

Well played :laughing:

3 Likes

Broccoli, bacon and caramelized onion quiche with a side salad of mixed lettuce, chopped radishes, cukes, and tomatoes with a lemon-honey sherry vinaigrette.

Wine.

And a gorgeous day. My long PTO weekend worked out better than I had hoped. At least so far.

27 Likes

Everyone got involved making dinner tonight. The Sprout made steamed vegetable buns, I seared tuna and grilled zucchini, and Mr Bean made sticky rice with mango and strawberry. Amazingly enough, each of us washed what we used.

22 Likes

First meal out in months! We headed upriver and had lunch and beers on the patio at River Outpost brewing in Peekskill. Absolutely gorgeous day, delicious food and great beer (I had a mango sour ale, which was fantastic). Everyone we encountered was either masked or keeping their distance and smizing abounded - you could tell everyone was happy to be out. The war is not yet won, but hopefully we can enjoy this level of freedom without seeing a rise in cases.

18 Likes

Great job on the pie crust crimping, very attractive @LindaWhit.

2 Likes

So envious of your outing @biondanonima! Although we’ve moved to phase two, we seem to be experiencing Juneuary here, so too cold for outdoor dining.

1 Like

We had our neighbor and her beautiful dog over tonight for cocktails and appetizers on the patio. I started out with a New Amsterdam “Pink Whitney” (aka pink lemonade) vodka and club soda (with a muddled strawberry). It is immensely popular with my hockey player friends since it was founded by a former NHLer but I didn’t like it. Too strong on its own and too weak when mixed. Meh. I switched over to martinis on the rocks and got delightfully buzzed.

There was a mozzarella and roasted red pepper salad, an assortment of cheeses, my neighbor brought her famous spinach-rice salad, my mom made zucchini squares, and there were mini tacos from Trader Joe’s. An enjoyable evening.

22 Likes

@gcaggiano

Greg, don’t you know that when dogs or cats… any animal really, is mentioned in a post, a picture of the beast is mandatory.

8 Likes

We had some more sensational gourmet takeout from Il Nido. It was well worth the 2 hour round trip. We enjoyed butter poached lobster arrabbiata over saffron risotto; wagyu short ribs; soft shell crab with green garlic, scapes, and pesto bianco; duck confit salad. It all went great with an excellent 2012 Chateauneuf Du Pape.

17 Likes

Roasted a chicken. So basic but always a winner. Rosemary and butter under the Skin. A little olive oil rubbed on the skin

13 Likes

Ah. Well, she is kind of in this one!

My cat came down and got scared at us being so friendly with a dog and ran away.

16 Likes

Gorgeous food and pics . As always.

2 Likes

Chinese takeout after 3 months… one of my last meals out was at din tai fung, and somehow we have not gotten chinese takeout because there has usually been something the kids lobby harder for, lol.

Turns out the chinese place walking distance from us turned over ownership and chefs after we tried it last and it was dismal… it’s now east coast-style food. Not good per se, but hit the spot and made me realize I’m missing even the crappy chinese place behind my building which is my takeout of last resort :joy:

Beef chow fun, kung pao chicken, velvet chicken soup, kung pao tofu, tofu with black mushrooms, and vegetable pan-fried noodles. The soup made me most happy, because it’s a childhood favorite.

Also baked two loaves of bread today - a GF sandwich loaf for toast and grilled cheese and my first regular flour loaf since this situation started, using the tiny 2lb bag I finally procured.

15 Likes

May I ask what recipe you used for your GF loaf - looks great, and with a good rise @Saregama.

1 Like

Hopefully they came back…

Ver nice outdoor space @gcaggiano! Your spread looks lovely as well. Sounds like your switch to martinis was a good move too. :monkey::cocktail::monkey:

1 Like