What's For Dinner #58 - the Uncertain Certain Summertime Edition -June 2020

He’s an indoor cat who was looking through the screen door so he just hid upstairs.

4 Likes

Thank you! It’s been a work in progress for the last month but I think its finally done.

Charcuterie night has been off the menu for awhile since our favorite source has been closed during the pandemic (Moody’s in Waltham MA, which carries product made by New England Charcuterie). This week’s supermarket run yielded decent looking sliced coppa (Columbus) and imported Italian prosciutto (Veroni).

I give you the return of charcuterie night!

Not a big selection of meats, so I rounded out the meal with cheeses: Great Hill Blue, butterkase, and a Vermont Creamery goat cheese crottin. And a big bowl of red grapes.

I had a plain soda bread in the oven while we chatted on a Zoom call beforehand. That way, dinner could be on the table soon after.

23 Likes

Lovely day here yesterday. Spent most of it in the yard repairing some messes from a night of high winds. The worst was our giant two story bougainvillea which feel all the way down to the patio. Luckily the trunk didn’t break and we only lost a few giant branches. DH’s arms look a hot mess, but, the plant is back up and everything is clean again. Lunch was cauliflower tacos outside. For dinner we shared a grilled grass fed ribeye and some rosemary fries. No dinner pics.

The beast back up.

19 Likes

Nice outdoor space, and sorry about the high winds; know that occasionally happens down there. Think I visited Huntington Gardens a few years ago, a couple weeks after a storm knocked down a good number of trees, according to the guide. Still, very beautiful.

2 Likes

Thank you :blush: Cheers :wine_glass:

Sunday 14th June: Just a simple penne pasta, a regular on our at home menus.

16 Likes

I tried this one with my own flour blend of sorghum/millet, tapioca, and brown rice.

This was a half recipe, because I didn’t want to waste ingredients if we didn’t like the result, but I would do it again with 2/3 recipe to fill the loaf tin.

I’m finding that the GF loaves rise nicely but then lose height in the oven.

This has a very good crumb, and isn’t gummy and dense like many commercial sliced versions or even the GF boules I’ve been baking this far, which could be the flour mix or the gluten replacers or both.

Trial and error…

LOL. Sounds like the hubs( jk?).

Has anyone seen that commercial with the toddler repeatedly pushing the food away without even looking at it?

1 Like

Oh goodness. Ain’t nobody got time for that. You know - Ellyn Satter, the feeding expert I always cite, has some good stuff on adult picky eating, too: https://www.ellynsatterinstitute.org/how-to-eat/adult-eating-and-weight/#the-adult-picky-eater

More good info above: https://www.ellynsatterinstitute.org/how-to-eat/adult-eating-and-weight/#how-to-become-eating-competent

1 Like

Phoned it in tonight: TJ’s breaded cod, mixed fries, and minted mushy peas. The last of the eternal cole slaw.

17 Likes

Made a green Thai curry chicken soup this evening with some of the leftovers from last’s nights roast chicken.

6 Likes

Thanks much @Saregama; the failed loaf raised beautifully, then collapsed to 1 1/4 inches. Not giving up!

1 Like

That was good; thanks! To be fair, husband is rarely dramatic; just on his birthday, and he has been winding up for father’s day.

I happened to be talk to my adult son this morning, who now
lives in Turkey, and he was commenting on how his tastes have changed.

He now loves almonds, which he says he hated, as well as drinking tea and pomegranate juice all day, regularly eating chickpeas, etc. He now likes dishes made with eggplant, although he still doesn’t like it’s texture.

I think he misses bacon.

11 Likes

“Plain” is a misnomer. Your soda bread looks ree-dic-you-lus-lee good.

1 Like

sliced lamb roast (but not frenched) at my sister’s last night. i marinated them in olive oil, minced garlic/rosemary/thyme and lemon zest. pan seared, then into a 400 degree oven for maybe 5 mins. too much meat for the two of us, but we froze the rest for another night. shrooms sauteed with garlic & thyme. Big squeezes of lemon juice over everything. And a loverly $13.99 dry-as-hell french rose to drink that went down waaaaay too easy.

19 Likes

Quick meatball pizza on the grill after a day of trimming rosebushes.

And watching hopefully for the groundhog to reappear.

24 Likes

Been on a mozz-roasted red pepper kick lately. So a meatless Sunday sub: mozzarella, peppers in oil, sautéed broccoli rabe, and balsamic marinated grilled portobello mushrooms. They were a little too bitter but other than that, a good sandwich. Side of baked shoestring fries.

Side note: I used to always just buy the plain roasted red peppers. Always thought they were missing something. DUH. The ones in oil with garlic are delicious. Could eat them right out of the jar.

17 Likes

poochie!

1 Like

Another picture perfect weather day here, so we fired up the charcoal grill tonight for burgers. DH had a random craving for tzatziki with his burger, so I obliged, and threw some multi-colored bell peppers on the grill as well since I love peppers with tzatziki. I used Plymouth brand 80/20 from Restaurant Depot for the burgers and they were really fantastic- better than what I grind at home, I think!

I topped them with a slice if cheddar AND a slice of American and I think this combo might be the key to a perfect cheeseburger - not sure why I hadn’t tried it before.

12 Likes