What's For Dinner #57: The Keep On Keepin' On Edition - May 2020

Exactly!

Interesting, the flavour profile. Maybe due to this, it is often used with coconut, savoury or sweet.

To be honest, I don’t recall using the pandan extract when making mango sticky rice. I use coconut milk and brown sugar. I’ve only used it when making plain rice as an accompaniment to other things.

Now you’ve got me started on a mission for pandan leaves. I wonder if it can be grown in a pot?

Good idea! I see seeds and seedlings in ebay.

I used David Thompson’s book Thai Food recipe, it was used to make coconut cream: heat the coconut cream with pandanus leaf, add rice flour and salt (mixed with water) and stir until thick, then add sugar and stir till dissolved.

He has another black sticky rice recipe that needs 3 hours to steam!

1 Like

Not dinner but wanted to share. I’d say our first attempt at crepes was a success. This was a team effort: BF made the batter (I did add a splash of Havana Club rum) and chocolate ganache while I did the cooking, filling, and plating. We had been watching a lot of Julia Child and Jacques Pepin lately and were inspired. These were absolutely delicious. Looking forward to trying different variations, such as some savory fillings next time.

I posted to Instagram and tagged Jacques Pepin’s account and he actually responded saying “Looks good”. I must say, those two words made my day.

24 Likes

Very cool. And he’s right! Gorgeous.

2 Likes

Congrats! And they are lovely. I’ll need a big splash of rum and chocolate.

3 Likes

A simple dinner of shrimp scampi on the porch allowed us to think of warm, sunny days at the sea (where we’re not).

14 Likes

Away for a week, and now flipping through your cumulative fabulous meals I am reminded of this old saw…memories…

Tonight’s poor contribution is red peppers

Lidia’s chicken casalinga with same pan potatoes, side of scorched asparagus

13 Likes

Joint effort tonight: Berbere-honey grilled chicken thighs over couscous with apricots and almonds served with yogurt sauce and mixed greens with blueberry dressing, local blue cheese, grape tomatoes, and pecans. Really good!

Kind of a sh**** day despite the lovely weather, so at least dinner was tasty.

17 Likes

We continued to support local restaurants this weekend with some spectacular takeout from Ariane Kitchen and Bar run by former Top Chef contestant Ariane Duarte. We enjoyed an excellent juniper cured pork chop with Brussels sprouts, cheddar grits, and bacon onion jam; wild pan seared halibut, with farro salad, pineapple corn salsa, tomato red pepper beurre blanc; bacon wrapped parmesan stuffed Medjool dates; cornmeal crusted oysters with horseradish cream; and smoked Gruyere mac and cheese. It all went great with an outstanding Spanish Priorat.

14 Likes

Birthday dinner for DH: pimenton roasted halibut plated with a stew of diced potato, chorizo and onion with tomato; sides of cauliflower and crispy chickpeas seasoned with garlic and pimenton, broccolini. Chocolate cupcakes with chocolate buttercream frosting for dessert.

17 Likes

oh my god, i want to self isolate with that dish!

1 Like

Haluski tonight. Homey & homely, but delish. Pepper bacon, onions, cabbage, a little caraway seed, celery seed, lots of pepper, and a tbs. of sour cream. Wide egg noodle.

Also made a batch of kimchi, it had been like a year since I’d made any. Used the regular green cabbage instead of Napa because that’s what I had for the haluski. Also bok choy, carrots, scallions, jalapeno. shit-ton of ginger and garlic. can’t wait for kimchi fried rice!

kimchi%20makings%203

16 Likes

beautiful! and I’d be over the moon if Jacques noticed me!

3 Likes

thank you!

I don’t know if this is right, but someone told me that what is sold as Kewra / Orange blossom extract in indian stores is actually pandan / screwpine.

We only use it for biryani and a couple of other special dishes, and it is distinctive and definitely floral.

2 Likes

An oven roasted 5 spice chicken thigh, broccolini, and garlic noodles.

12 Likes

Wow, never thought I’d see haluski appear as WFD. My grandmother used to make it with tiny dumplings, which if memory serves, were much like spaetzle. Hers was a vegetarian version for Lent, with neither bacon nor dairy.

Yours with bacon and sour cream looks extra yum.

Lots of black pepper is a must.

2 Likes

Pepin’s response is a salute to you both. Good work, and nice man.

2 Likes