What's For Dinner #57: The Keep On Keepin' On Edition - May 2020

I went to the Asian Food Market (its actual name) based on @Ct.ebner84’s recommendation above. It just so happened to be near one of our favorite Chinese restaurants so I picked up way too much food. Everything was delicious and nothing was very photogenic.

8 Likes

No idea yet, but I’m definitely going to go through your posts for inspiration!

Ina’s crispy mustard chicken. I used boneless skinless breast since that’s what we had. Dip in a mustard/white wine mix, then a panko, garlic, thyme, olive oil, butter mix. Side was yellow was bean in bacon vinaigrette (I added some broccoli that need used).

13 Likes

Maybe you can slowly convert him . I’m sure you can do it . Open up the dining game .

1 Like

hah! we’re going on 19 years, so… yeah, no.

3 Likes

I found the thread, started by Sasha.

3 Likes

I made the most beautiful mussels last night from my Local 130 fish delivery (Local 130 Seafood (shop), Asbury Park) Fresh herbs would have been a nice addition but I didn’t have any. Simple tomato broth topped with crunchy breadcrumbs/capers/garlic. Then settled down to read my new books. Perks of my husband’s job!

19 Likes

:heart: THOSE. :heart: LAMB. :heart: CHOPS. :heart:

2 Likes

Danny Trejo was just on Top Chef where they had to make tacos using interesting ingredients.

6 Likes

I saw! I didn’t catch that he had a book out during the show so when my husband sent me a list of the new books Penguin was coming out with, I jumped on that. I had to put it away because I was getting too hungry!

4 Likes

So, on an unrelated note of WFD, has anyone hit the wall yet in terms of cooking? Even before the pandemic, I/we cooked five nights a week, and with us trying to do takeout once a week now, not too much has changed on the home dining front. But these last few days, I find myself totally uninspired! Maybe it will pass in a day or two, but tonight we have plans for takeout and tomorrow is a meal in the slow cooker (it was one of my dad’s favorites and this weekend would have been his birthday). Last night, as shown, was some drinks and apps. Have I run my course in the kitchen??? :expressionless:

I wanted to create a separate thread for this question, but since the people who seem to cook the post post here almost daily, I’ll leave it here.

10 Likes

Beautiful food, and nice Costco! I don’t recall ever seeing pork belly in mine.

Ummm yeah. It’s slowed down a lot for me. I’m inspired maybe once or twice a week. Some weeks not at all. I’m also over the multiple choice meals here.

The past few weeks I basically “quit” participating in breakfast and lunch to get over the over-fooding. I might eat lunch occasionally, but often it’s something simple I made in bulk (plain homemade yogurt another, toast with or without an egg, upma / indian cream of wheat, etc.)

It has helped - at least I’m excited to make one or two things in a week (the rest is just to get dinner done). This week it was tikka masala and “real” bolognese, both new to me.

Other people notwithstanding (for eg I started my lasagna project with the slow bolognese on Wednesday, waiting for assembly today because I miraculously found fresh pasta sheets for our grocery delivery; the other meat eater wants to “keep it simple” and have spaghetti bolognese instead - simple left the stable when I started Marcella Hazan’s recipe, but also it’s annoying to have that response about something I was actually excited to cook… I’m making it anyway, but only for myself. Easier too. ).

I think there’s another thread on food ennui. I’ll look later.

9 Likes

I’m collecting chicken ideas, and this looks delicious!

Thanks Linda! I consider that quite a compliment coming from you!

1 Like

I’m pretty sure there was an adobo discussion around here somewhere, but I could only find this on on Chowhound comparing Fillipino and Mexican. . They also mention the Cuban.

I find the history of adobo so interesting! Descriptions a various Filipino types in that link.

One more from Saveur .

4 Likes

Hopefully not!

3 Likes

It’s a comes-and-goes thing for me. I used to mostly cook on weekends, making something like a roast chicken so I’d have leftovers, as well as salad makings. Now, I’m cooking whenever - sometimes ONLY having leftovers on the weekends, meaning I have to cook a couple of times during the week. But I also have a freezer full of small meals (pot roast, mac & ham & cheese, pork and sweet potato stew, chili and meat sauce) that I can take out whenever and use as a single meal.

8 Likes

I hit the wall quite a bit, particularly because I cook and my husband does not. One thing that helps me is having a virtually no-cook dinner possibility that I think of as fun food. It’s my escape hatch.

For example, I try to keep around couple of avocados, a can of Kuner’s seasoned black beans, Cabot 70% light cheddar, and tomato salsa that I can either turn into a layered dip or tacos on demand.

A cheese plate accompanied by green salad has been another.

I try to have a couple of “get out of jail free” options for days when my imagination and energy are nowhere to be found.

9 Likes

Yes and I totally complained about it here LOL!!!

It will come back. I would say that I’m ready to cook my way out of my taco book so maybe you should order a new cookbook to rev up the ideas?

4 Likes