What's for Dinner #55: The March Forward Into Spring Edition - March 2020

I seemed to have mis-understood your original message.

It could be the temperature that your Merlot was stored at …

We do not grow merlot as a 100% mono varietal in Spain, so I do not know much about this specific grape … Was it 100 % Merlot ?

However, it could very well be that it was stored improperly. This is older than a Grand Reserve …

Spain is a prolific Tempranillo grape grower … our bread and butter …

2013 is 7 years ago … Maybe your temperature controls or the grape variety ?

Have a nice weekend.

No problem @Barca. It was decent and tasted good with my steak. Yes, 100% Merlot varietal, grown in my state of Washington. Stored in our wine cooler at 55 F. I think the store was rotating their stuff and trying to sell their older bottles. H, didn’t notice, so bought a bottle that was older than it should have been. I’m sure it was past it’s prime, but still good. :wine_glass::grapes:

A still mooing flat iron steak in a Korean marinade, mashed sweet potatoes, and stuffed mushrooms. Appetizer was zucchini fritte (in the air fryer) with garlic aioli.

Washed down with several martinis modeled after what I had at a bar this week: gin, Lillet, and orange peel.

15 Likes

I decided on dinner this morning…but then?
Wegmans.
Sweet, local caught, dry sea scallops.

So I did both: pan-seared sea scallops with pasta carbonara (I used tagliatelle) using bacon instead of guanciale, because I forgot to pick it up at my Happy Place.

With peas. For color and a wee bit o’ veg.

Wine.

And it was goooooooood.

24 Likes

Nice .

1 Like

Beautiful. And a picture . Cheers :wine_glass:

1 Like

All 4 ended up on my plate :yum:

Looks fab

1 Like

All sounds great!

1 Like

Another treat… kurobuta pork short ribs. Sides of sautéed green beans, beets, roasted broccoli and cauliflower. Ribs were sous vided and then smoked. Absolutely delicious.

Some added a Hawaiian bbq sauce recommended by the butcher. I added calabrian chile sauce.

That was a late lunch / early dinner. There will be some snacking later, but no meal.

18 Likes

Chicken thigh skewers, marinated in lemongrass and fish sauce. Resurrected sushi rice, fried with green onion. Nuoc cham

Mache from the backyard[

20 Likes

I had to download to my laptop and post from there.
But this was worthy of the download. LOL

4 Likes

Sure was

1 Like

Three pound cut of pork shoulder. Inspired by the last chicken recipe. Of course altered . Granny Smith apple and shallots. Added a cup of Rose after picture.

Last dinner before the time change . Yay . Cheers.![20200307_203853|393x700](upload:/

17 Likes

Fixed the double picture

This week has been warm in Northern California, but I’d picked up a celery root with stalks at the farmer’s market, made a batch of soup. (Saute celery/onion/carrot, add water and whatever and seasonings, in this case the celery root got sauteed and the stalks were mostly leafy and didn’t, plus a few mushrooms and some barley, simmer until done.)

Last week the grocery had giant artichokes at 3/$5, so I made the family recipe for Stuffed Artichokes Of Death. The breadcrumb stuffing (or cracker crumb, if you can find it), gets lots of Italian spices and garlic and sauteed in lots of olive oil, then crammed in between the leaves of the artichokes, which then get steamed and served with way too much garlic butter. (One side of my wife’s family also adds parmesan or romano cheese to the breading, but she doesn’t like those so we skip them.) Pressure cooking means they’re usually steamed enough in about half an hour; before we got the pressure cooker it tended to be 1.5-2 hours of steaming.

8 Likes

I love the name. :grin:

The pork looks fantastic. Are those cookie-looking things gingersnaps - sort of like sauerbraten?

They are Italian Amaretti cookies.

1 Like

@emglow101 Brilliant!