What's for Dinner #55: The March Forward Into Spring Edition - March 2020

Hear, hear. Welcome! Excited to hear more about your vegan cooking.

3 Likes

thanks for info
I am in zone 7, temp this past year had been mostly extremely wet. Lost quite a few English box , a beautiful dwarf blue spruce, and several other shrubs
Son brought this from outdoor to our DR - conservatory which faces north but skylights were changed per architect’s suggestion in 1990 as it was too hot and so, I changed all the plants to silk ( also cannot keep up with orchids and bougainvilleas. The Meyer lemon is full of sticky sap. It is in a terracottas pot. Want to transfer it to my indoor pool which is not being heated ( problem with county who demanded that solar panels be taken out- long story). Son is now growing seeds under lights and then transfer to pool . He says temp is 40-80 degrees. Started building greenhouse Sept last year, almost completed but we are planning to remove it for ear of lawsuit. Hope he can find someone to lift the plants to the pool or outdoor .

@Saregama, I have access to several produce people who sell sweet limes. Our conversations are very cordial but limited to simple questions and explanations. Can you tell me how to choose sweet limes? The several I’ve tried were not delicious, as in a fruit you could just cut and eat out of hand, like an orange. What should I look (or smell) for?

FRIDAY LUNCH TIME … AUSTRALIAN BLUE RARE ANGUS …

11 Likes

@Barca, absolutely gorgeous job on your steak - it appears we like ours cooked the same way, although you did a better job on yours, than I mine. Was it a thick piece of tenderloin, or filet mignon, as we call it in US? Was it tender? Mine was quite chewy, unfortunately, not the best piece of beef I’ve had in awhile. Should make a pretty good sandwich or a steak salad with blue cheese, if we have any. H doesn’t seem to be managing the red wines that well. I’m no expert, because it’s not my passion, but the Merlot was from 2013. Am I wrong here? Hope others will chime in if I need some edification. Again, lovely job on your steak!

1 Like

That is a spectacular looking piece of steak and a perfect wine pairing @Barca! I bet the 2008 is still going strong.
Enjoy your weekend!

2 Likes

Repurposed the alboldigas as spaghetti and meatballs. Tasty.

12 Likes

A simple pasta dinner as I was not much in a mood to cook. Leftover sausages in slices, cooked with can tomatoes, anchovies and dried tomatoes. Finished with the garden arugula.

11 Likes

I wish I could tell you! Sometimes it’s just waiting for them to ripen. They are very sour until then. But sometimes it’s the type of fruit itself - even when ripe they might be bland.

1 Like

I really wasn’t in the mood to cook tonight. And I wasn’t last night, either (I just had a bowl of Raisin Bran Crunch). But the pork chop that had been defrosted was saying Cook Me or Toss Me. And I couldn’t do that to a beautiful boneless chop.

So s/p and Penzeys Tsardust Seasoning was liberally applied, along with some olive oil. Seared on the grill pan and finished in the oven, with a drizzle of cider syrup.

Sides were Maple-Pepper Sweet Potato Mash and steamed green beans.

Of course there were several glasses of wine.

And I still can’t upload photos from my phone. :::sigh:::

8 Likes

That meat looks to be perfectly cooked. I love a nice char on the outside with the inside just this side of raw.
I had my first Tignanello (2000) this past New Year’s Eve. It was stupendous.

3 Likes

Clean out the sons frig pizza for dinner.

18 Likes

Friday treat: spanish scarlet “carabineros” prawns. Cleaned, marinated with harissa and garlic, skewered, and on the grill.

Accompaniments were similar to yesterday, using up what’s in the fridge - a big salad, cauliflower with peas, rice, black urad dal.

22 Likes

Looks great!

1 Like

Thank you very very much once again …

Yes, it was quite extraordinary ! And the oak aged red was a perfect pairing too.

Have a lovely weekend.

1 Like

Fantastic !

1 Like

Thank you very much. Simply amazingly awesome and melt in one´s mouth tender …

1. Some people are intolerant to sulphites which are used in preserving oak aged red wines of this calibur (2008 Tuscan oak aged reds). Go with ecological reds. They are widely available from Italy and probably from Washington or Sonoma Valley. Sulphite free oak aged reds are clearly marked on labels.

2. The Australian Black Angus, was “filet mignon” …

Have a lovely weekend.

Thank you … Yes it was scrumptuous.

We are big fans of oak aged Tuscan Reds !

I am sure the 2000 was extraordinary as the 2008 was a spectacular noble nosed bespoken masterpiece of art …

Have a nice wkend. Thank you for contributing.

2 Likes

I hope you like to suck on the head. It is the best part. Most Americans I know including my son toast them back to me. Their lost! My gain!

5 Likes

Oh trust me @Barca, I can handle the sulphites, and love to drink wine aged in oak, including Chardonnay. A little old school there on the whites. Also, due to a good friend, and many others, have imbibed some of the best red wines in the world, aged to perfection and drunk at their peak. While I enjoy them very much, it’s not my passion to collect, manage, do my diligence, as to tasting, making notes as to how much longer to age the rest of the case, and all that. Nor do I have the space for a serious collection.

Since I found a 2013 Merlot in the wine cooler, that is what I opened to go with my steak, because that seems overlong to store a merlot. They are to be enjoyed 3-5 years after bottling, even if stored in a wine fridge, as I found out. My husband said he bought it fairly recently, so we both need to be more careful about selection. That particular bottle was bought at a grocery store, with a well stocked wine section. Trying to get rid of the old stuff… I need to go through the rest of the cooler and see if there are other bottles that need to be used. We have our very best stuff on the bottom three shelves, so will focus my efforts there.

Thank you however, I do appreciate the information! Have an enjoyable rest of your weekend!

1 Like