What's for Dinner #55: The March Forward Into Spring Edition - March 2020

Too funny. I’m actually up off Belmar Blvd, right at the Belmar/Wall line. If you ever see a slightly out of shape dude with too short running shorts, too bright shoes, and a sweatband… that’s me haha. Keeping it food related- I VERY rarely eat out, or order takeout. Been making an effort to do so now, to support local businesses. Any recommendations for places I can find vegetarian options?

4 Likes

I’ve always wanted to go there. We tried to go to a sister restaurant in New Orleans, but it was much too far away. Looks amazing. Is that the pomegranate-molasses lamb?

Many places offer something vegetarian, these places are little more veggie-centric I’m not sure what’s open but off the top of my head:
Kaya’s Kitchen, Belmar
Sami’s Street Food, Asbury Park
Sentosa, Brick
Luna Verde, Bradley Beach
Porta, Asbury Park
The tofu buritto or taco at Mogo, Asbury Park
I’m tagging @CurlzNJ as I am sure she will have some ideas.
Have you been to the NJ regional board? We are pretty active. The folks there have lots of opinions.

Yes, and it was delicious! The salatims were very good as well, especially the eggplant and matbucha (spicy pepper salad). And I’ve never had hummus so smooth.

1 Like

WHO’S OPINIONATED?!? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::grin::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The list you posted is very good… I’d add Cardinal Provisions in AP for some excellent veg options!

There’s also a terrific vegan baker named Michelle who sells under the name Cat’s Luck – she’s doing deliveries. She normally works out of Sami’s but I‘dc heck to see if she’s still stocking the case there. I’m not vegetarian but I got zucchini-walnut muffins from her and they’re excellent.

1 Like

I’m giggling. A LOT! :smiling_face::laughing::joy:

3 Likes

Even dining at home, you and the missus do it up right! A very happy anniversary, and LOL at the pupster and kitty behind and their rather disgruntled faces. LOL

1 Like

In fact, I did it again at lunch today. :laughing:

8 Likes

Like you, I have been cooking my heart out. I consider last night’s pizza a personal best at repurposing. Here’s the fourth meal I got from a batch of pulled beef brisket.

Concocted a BBQ brisket pizza with sliced red onion, the dregs of a bottle of Stubb’s Smokey Mesquite Sauce, TJ’s pizza sauce, and the aforementioned brisket. On top you see cilantro leaves and a “crema” made of Greek yogurt thinned with water. We thought this pantry pizza tasted as good as a planned recipe.

Time to unleash your culinary MacGyver.

16 Likes

Perfect- thanks! I hit up Porta for my birthday in October, and it was great. I’ll have to scope out the others. Sami’s sounds good. I’ll have to check out the NJ board more.

1 Like

Cardinal Provisions was on my list for post-run next Saturday- I’ll have to check it out. Thank you guys for the input!

1 Like

Went with a frig dive chef salad and djon dressing. Dragon kale, boston Bib, romaine, sliced turkey, virginia ham, smoked provolone, red onion, micro greens and baby tomatoes this time.

Season 3 of Ozark on the tube.

Be well.

6 Likes

That bread looks just like my mom’s rendition. I think she generally starts with the Good Housekeeping recipe- first cookbook I ever got.

I made homemade pasta tonight after having a flash of realization that I could probably make the dough in my food processor. So much easier!!! Used up sauce and meatballs from the freezer. Made last week? Or week before? Who knows! Very complimentary reviews.

14 Likes

Love your pottery.

2 Likes

Saturday WFD here in rainy SE Michigan:
Potato, Egg, Mushroom & Swiss Oven Bake…
No recipe. Followed my Muse. Proved absolutely trustworthy again. :hugs:

16 Likes

Oh Yum. I usually make the dough in my KA mixer since I use their pasta attachment and everything gets dirty anyway. This is my favorite recipe:
https://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/fresh-pasta.html?cm_src=RECIPESEARCH

2 Likes

Was feeling inspired by you all so hit the freezer! A 3 lb pkg of ground beef yielded a keto meatloaf, used almond flour instead of bread, etc. Also made 1-1/2 doz meatballs, also keto inspired. So dinner last night was the meatloaf with mushroom gravy: sauteed the schrooms in butter & a bit of olive oil, added chopped shallots, s&p, thyme, sherry, heavy cream, chicken broth, thickened with xanthan gum. Then mashed cauli with butter & cream & an artichoke. DH was very pleased with this meal, me too!

17 Likes

Slept in.
Slept WAY in.
Because what the hell am I supposed to do during a frickin’ pandemic?

After a quick trip to Hannaford to pick up some fresh veg, I read most of the rest of the afternoon. TV doesn’t interest me much right now, although I’m sure I’m missing out on some good movies and shows. But it’s all become part of the “noise”. So I’m glad I’m mostly an introvert.

Dinner was patterned after this recipe.

I used campanelle pasta, chicken stock instead of veg stock, and added some white wine to the sauce.

Steamed asparagus and a crusty buttered roll alongside. And more of the aforementioned wine.

14 Likes

Thanks but it is my aunt’s! She is incredible and produced the most beautiful pottery in her wood fire kiln. My house is filled with her work. This recent series is so awesome. Lots of texture!

5 Likes