What's for Dinner #55: The March Forward Into Spring Edition - March 2020

I see baked Italian comfort food is trending. My kiddo and I made roasted eggplant and zucchini lasagna tonight. He picked at it and did not eat the veggies. :roll_eyes: His loss.

17 Likes

I’ve been cooking every night (of course!!!) But nearly always forgetting pics. Tonight was this beautiful seared tuna (@CurlzNJ loveeeee fish) with sides of random. Mashed sweet potato. Mung bean salad thing. Quick pickle red onions. I feel like I’m on chopped. My grocery order isn’t coming until Tuesday.

18 Likes

Chunk of strip steak, marchand de vin sauce, mini-gnocchi in veloute

17 Likes

This dinner can be filed under: Odd Pairings.

Coney Dogs & Crab Dip…

This resulted from a meet up I had with Jim Beam starting about 3:30… :roll_eyes:

17 Likes

When I got home from work (yes, I am an “essential” worker who cannot totally self quarantine), the last thing I thought I would be doing is making 43 dumplings with my boyfriend of endless surprises. But here we are. Filling is pork-based.

Main course which he prepared: red curry short rib in the slow cooker. Side of basmati rice.

26 Likes

I had a meeting with him yesterday. Resulted my fried eggs on toast with cheese.

4 Likes

Since we couldn’t go out to dinner under the circumstances, we decided to celebrate our 9th anniversary by doing takeout al fresco on our deck, from Del Novo in Montclair. Owner Dimitri is very impressively donating 100% of takeout sales to his employees. If we were going to get married today we would request toilet paper and paper towels on our wedding registry :grinning: We enjoyed dates wrapped with bacon, almonds, and gorgonzola; grilled octopus with red wine stewed onions, chorizo, potatoes, and chili oil; black and white sesame crusted tuna with asparagus, roasted potatoes, chipotle aioli and soy reduction; charred dry aged hanger steak with roasted garlic mash and wilted spinach. It all went great with a Cooper and Thief red blend aged in bourbon barrels.

19 Likes

Felicitations and congratulations! You two are a lucky duo.

3 Likes

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Busy afternoon just prepping in the kitchen.

Some scrap growing successes have made me more careful about saving bits and bobs. That takes me longer… (Perhaps a corona-gardening thread would be interesting?)

So. Some beets were delivered with gorgeous greens attached - I separated the leaves, stems, top with a bit attached, the root, and the tail. The tail and tops I’m experimenting with regrowing. The leaves I shredded and cooked down like spinach, because more people will eat it that way. The stems I cooked like indian stewed beets. The roots I’ve steamed and peeled for another day.

Zucchini carpaccio was our starter tonight, along with cheese and crackers. The “carpaccio” is a copycat of a nyc restaurant version, and the way I first ever ate zucchini.

Brussel sprouts were the vegetable - roasted till crisp, seasoned with garlic, s&p, and smoked paprika, copycat of our favorite italian restaurant which fries them.

Chicken breast made into Bihari kabab and naan were the rest of the meal.

. .
20 Likes

Brilliant beet tutorial!
How were the zucchini finished? Roasted? Broiled?
All else stunning.
Many thanks for these inspirations.

1 Like

Home made pasta with Ina’s quick weeknight bolognese sauce.

22 Likes

Outstanding! Congrats @paryzer.

1 Like

What an assortment, wow!

Looks like a relaxing evening.

1 Like

You make it all looks so easy. Great dumpling folds…I have a ways to go. Those ribs are calling me.

3 Likes

Thank you @Rooster!

Pure comfort food :yum:

1 Like

We find that we also now have time for heretofore unusual meetups.

2 Likes

Happy Anniversary to you both!

(noticed your canine and feline wear the same facial expression. Guess that’s what happens with living together… :blush: )

4 Likes