What's for Dinner #55: The March Forward Into Spring Edition - March 2020

Yesterday, I fried up some eggplant before it went to waste. Tonight, I turned it into eggplant parm alla vodka over rigatoni. Good comfort food right here.

20 Likes

Mine always look like I rolled them with boxing gloves on.

6 Likes

Funny image :rofl:

I have used the antico simplified pattern with the bowl and dinner plate in my photos . The pieces are colored with iron oxide . Thats what’s so cool . A ancient art I treasure all my pieces.

1 Like

Hello, HO friends. Hope you are staying safe. It’s been a rough ride, and there’s a lot more of the rollercoaster to go.

Self-isolation dinners with family since the weekend. My short visit turned into an extended-for-not sure-how-long. Hopefully nyc passes the worst in the next couple of weeks and I can go home.

Haven’t been taking pics as the stress of adjusting to our new normal took over. Multiple adults home and working full time with kids who are home for extended spring break followed by “remote” school of some sort, which looks like it’s going to be just a couple of days and a couple of classes. So, lots of time to fill and meals to eat and people to juggle.

Tonight we had a comfort meal of breaded chicken cutlets, pasta with assorted sauces (rao’s and butter-parm), tomato salad, and roasted broccoli and carrots.

Shockingly, I’ve never made breaded chicken cutlets before even though I love eating them! I mixed panko and pecorino, as well as some chili powder. Chicken was flattened and seasoned with s&p, garlic, and rosemary. Rao’s is as good as marcella’s homemade. And I’ve been making cumin roasted carrots a lot, yum.

Last night we had black bean chili (with a separate meat chili that some of us added) and fixings, vegan cornbread (because yes, there are some vegans in our small group), and a butter lettuce salad to start.

The night before, we had chicken malai kabab (which I had marinated and frozen on my last visit, lol), naan, roasted green beans, esquites (copycat for a restaurant version we had just last week), and a big salad.

And before that, belated Pi day pizza delivery.

We are slowly getting better about planning meals - and being around each other quite so much all day :joy:

I’m trying to take a sunset walk with the dogs and kids, for fresh air and sanity.

20 Likes

I think this will be key for families who are on top of each other 24/7 for the next several weeks. :heart:

7 Likes

Hey HOs! It has been a stressful couple of weeks here in NYC, as we went from “this is no big deal” to “get ready to shelter in place” in a matter of days. I had a show canceled just as we completed our final dress rehearsal and all of my upcoming gigs have been postponed. I’m also doing my day job from home. Needless to say, I need a creative outlet! Today’s kitchen projects were a large pot of Bolognese (using fennel instead of celery because I didn’t have any of the latter and didn’t think it worth a special trip), a pot of chicken stock and a complete reorganization of the freezer. At least we will eat well while we go stir crazy!

13 Likes

Quick Lunch Today the 19th, Thursday:

Tortilla Española ( Traditional Spanish Omelette) …

20 Likes

It bubbled. It squeaked. It became Bubble & Squeak.

Couldn’t resist throwing in some left over Corned Beef…

Hard fried Cabbage and potatoes is a gift from the gods.

21 Likes

Oh yeah, wordless except to say oh yum!

1 Like

WFH is not the same, especially since a lot of my job is based on in-office needs as they happen. But I’m making do.

A quick run in to the work location post office and the workplace, then to Hannaford for fresh veggies and half-and-half.

Dinne was easy peasy. Leftover roast chicken was used in a chicken, roasted red pepper, and herbed cheese panino, with Ruffles potao chips alongside.

Oh yes. There was wine.

18 Likes

Pasta con Sarde, Insalata di Finocchi
Buon San Guissepe!

15 Likes

That’s a beauty!

1 Like

Dayam. I’m sending you big puffy hearts for that meal!

Beets, goat cheese, horseradish, smoked trout, sweet onion.

Scalloped potatoes and ham

With parsley salad

14 Likes

That looks like a great one!

my sister and I just watched a show that featured Bar Nestor’s tortilla de patata in San Sebastian. I’m kicking myself that when we were there, we had the chuleton and the tomatoes, but not the tortilla (of course, they only make 2 a day.) But I’ve had a TON of them throughout Barcelona, Sevilla, Granada, Cordoba, etc., and at home. I want to make one a little runny, or jammy, inside, like the one I saw in the show about Bar Nestor. maybe that will be tomorrow’s project…

4 Likes

Thank you. I make this every year thanks to a friend who invited me over for St Joseph’s Day many years ago.

We had leftovers of 1 meatball in Rao’s marinara, some rice, and 1 chicken thigh. We also had chinese sausage, so the BF made himself fried rice, and I made myself pastina for the meatball. Some may think this is not the proper application for pastina, but they would be dead wrong. So good.

life in the time of coronavirus… today i went for a walk (we are still allowed, as long as we do it alone and stay 6 feet away from others) and saw 3 popular restaurants in my neighborhood that had boarded up their storefronts. all the implications of this are disheartening.

Still and all, it was a gorgeous day to be alive and healthy.

14 Likes

why would you ever resist!

1 Like

BF was off today with plenty of time, so that meant a pot of Sunday, err, Thursday Sauce, which cooked all day. He went all out with brasciole, sausage, and meatballs. There must be an Italian grandma inside of him because it is amazing as always. There will be leftovers for days. Dessert was St. Joseph pastries from Normandie Bakery in Hazlet, NJ (support small businesses!).

IMG_20200319_213842_323

And how about my version of the “Quarantini”? Gin, Lillet, and one lonely olive all by itself.

18 Likes