What's For Dinner #54 - The Leap Month Edition - February 2020

here. I changed some of the wording and added my notes:

1½ tablespoons red-pepper flakes
1 ½ tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 ½ teaspoons toasted sesame oil, plus more as needed
Kosher salt and black pepper
½ cup plus 1 tablespoon neutral oil (I used grapeseed)
6 tablespoons roasted, salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
Rind of 1/2 orange, peeled into 2- to 3-inch strips (I would add a little more)|
1 pound ground chicken or pork (I used probably half of this, but kept all other amts. the same.)
10 to 12 ounces ramen or udon noodles, preferably fresh (I used some type of Chinese egg noodles)
3 tablespoons finely chopped chives (I used scallions)

1. In a medium heatproof bowl, stir together the red-pepper flakes, soy sauce and sesame oil.
  2. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook the 1/2 cup oil, peanuts and orange rind, shaking the pan occasionally, until the peanuts are golden and bubbling, 3 to 5 minutes. Immediately pour contents of the skillet over the red-pepper mixture (be careful of splattering!) and set aside. (Once cool, the chili oil will keep in the refrigerator for 2 weeks in an airtight container. – I kept it out on the counter in a jar overnight.)
  3. In the same skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon oil over medium-high. Add the chicken (or pork) and press it down with a wooden spoon into a thin layer. Season with salt and a generous amount of black pepper (forgot pepper!) and cook, without stirring, occasionally pressing the layer of chicken down, until the bottom is browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Break the chicken up into small pieces and cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes more.
  4. Cook noodles according to package directions, until chewy but not soft. Drain and toss with a bit of sesame oil. (I forgot to add this bit of sesame oil.)
  5. Remove and discard orange rind from the chili oil. Off the heat, add the chili oil to the chicken and stir to coat, scraping up any browned bits from the pan. Add the noodles and toss to coat. Top with chives and serve at once.
10 Likes

Leftover kahlua pork turned into carnitas burritos. From the freezer!

12 Likes

Kahlua pork? Do tell!

Oh yum… Might need to make this one soon!

Looks good, just one problem, I don’t think Indian cooking uses pork. LOL.

I’ve tried several times cooking Biryani rice, texture isn’t right with rice cooker. Soaking and steaming is the closest.

1 Like

Want that! Your skin looked thin!

1 Like

Goa is known for its pork vindaloo and I would think there are other Goan pork dishes.
Other nearby regions with Portuguese influence and Catholic populations, such as Kerala, also would have more pork in their dishes.

You’re correct that most of India does not cook with pork.

3 Likes

Ha - wish it was the real deal! This is a slow cooker version with coarse sea salt and liquid smoke. I used some Hawaiian orange salt, and cooked it on low for about 10 hours. It comes out very moist and delicious.

Our contractor, who was born and raised in Hawaii is going to show us how to pit roast a whole pig the traditional way, with ti leaves and the whole bit, possibly this summer @gcaggiano.

5 Likes

I made cevapi, a roasted red pepper sauce, tzatziki, pickled cucumber with sumac, Urfa, thyme, and dried mint, and pumpkin-spelt risotto. Leftover naan. Everyone ate - everything!

18 Likes

I am definitely saving that recipe. My family will love it.

1 Like

These colors! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Another dinner “just for me”

11 Likes

It can, alThough it’s less common than goat or chicken. Original versions of vindaloo were made with pork

2 Likes

Good to know. Thanks for info. @Phoenikia @Kalivs

Drove an hour round trip just to pick up this bad boy.

Followed by espresso in our new toy.

Followed by Tums.

14 Likes

Kindred soul!

1 Like

Love the new toy . Looks like my Bialetti .

1 Like

It was great. I added freshly grated nutmeg (per another recipe) and some Montreal Seasoning.

Pizza/coffee combo all but requires a preemptive Tums strike. So far so good…

Thanks so very much!

1 Like