What's For Dinner #54 - The Leap Month Edition - February 2020

Wow, you are very organized! Hope my DH doesnt see your post, he has been bugging me for years to do this… :pensive:

1 Like

Once the spreadsheet is created, easy enough to update it when it gets messy. It’s getting everything ON there that can be the tough part.

1 Like

Looks good!

1 Like

I think I should better start doing this, maybe just a file on my phone for easy updating. There are always some mysterious stuff or some forgotten goodies in my freezer…

1 Like

Thanks!!

Bad back pain and slept badly last night. Feeling freezing cold all morning, slept the afternoon and got better the night to make dinner. Must be some weird virus.

Tonight, pork loin (échine) with Jerusalem artichoke and mushrooms. Loosely based on something I saw on Google on pork and artichokes. The pork roast was browned in a cast iron pan with olive oil and butter, set aside. The lemon juiced Jerusalem artichokes were browned for a minutes and then joined by the mushrooms and lastly the garlic. The pork back with the roots with a splash of muscadet and chicken broth. cooked on stove top for nearly an hour, mushrooms reintroduced in the last few minutes. I added some black garlic. Very good for a improvisation.

Anybody has some recipes using the black garlic? Bought a while ago, and not much idea what to do with it.

10 Likes

Be careful. Those symptoms sound like a kidney stone.

1 Like

Thanks will see a doc if symptoms persist. I believe it’s a gastro flu problem (+ gas). I was overdoing with the rowing machine to create the back pain.

2 Likes

Make black garlic oil and drizzle in soups

2 Likes

I made vegetarian mapo tofu over cauli-jasmine rice. Zucchini and celery stood in for meat. The babe had his sans fermented chili bean paste and chilies - basically black bean tofu.

My in-laws arrive tomorrow and they are low-carbing Midwesterners - so it will be meatapalooza.

11 Likes

It becomes more frequently usable if you puree it with oil or/and vinegar - can be added to vinaigrettes, dips, marinades, general cooking, as a condiment, all kinds of stuff.

There was black garlic mania when Ottolenghi Simple came out, because it was one of his Ten Ingredients.

1 Like

Dinner looks yummy! Best of luck on your meat filled meals! Ha!

1 Like

ack! that’s too bad because that looks really delicious.

1 Like

Sick yet AGAIN (3rd cold & the flu since Oct. - and laryngitis to boot), stayed home today in bed, but i was hungry for dinner. Made Rancho Gordo flageolet beans in the IP, sauteed shallots, garlic, crumbled hot italian sausage, hot chili flakes, and spinach, then tossed that with the beans and ditalini. Parm regg over all. Also sauteed a zucchini and parm regged that too. Very good comfort dinner.

14 Likes

THAT looks SO good!

1 Like

Panini with turkey, brie, and raspberry preserves. Side of tater tots and homemade slaw.

Even the animal was interested.

And a rare glass or two of wine for me (chardonnay) since it was National Wine Day or something like that.

16 Likes

Thanks! We need it :rofl:

Got some ears of COTC to round out the kiddo’s plate.

1 Like

That beany-pasta sounds divine!

2 Likes

what a cutie patootie!

that oozing panini tho…

2 Likes

thanks!