What's For Dinner #54 - The Leap Month Edition - February 2020

Was supposed to go out with a friend who’s here for the weekend staying with her parents.

But… her mom heard her mention my name and made biryani.

So, instead of us going out I went over. Made brownies for the grown-ups, and tried my hand at single cupcakes for the kids.

Also made buttercream for the first time, because I’ve watched these kids eat cupcakes before… the cake is mostly left on the plate while the frosting is licked off :joy:

If you’re counting, yes, that’s two batches of brownies in less than a day :smiley:

11 Likes

Yeah, the only real reason I did in the IP was to save splatters, and maybe develop the flavor in the sauce a little more than stovetop.

1 Like

Better would have been to make my own taco seasoning - paprika, garlic and onion powders, cumin, other ground toasted chilies. Sometimes expediency is all.

3 Likes

That IS pretty outstanding looking bread. Method? Yeast? Sourdough? 18 hr?

2 Likes

Delicious-looking treats!

1 Like

Sweet!!

Agreed! Congrats!! Which yeast?

Last week we both had our up and down time with our stomachs, we missed some dinners, or ate some easy small meals.

A few more normal meals.

Prawns with lemongrass chili and coconut milk

Duck, leek and bacon

Cockles cooked with a shrimp sauce and white wine! Pasta is a must!

Marrow bone with a light salad

Mr n bought this thing without emptying or getting rid of organs, grills and scales. Now I still have this fishy smell on my hands.

A tarragon pea cream sauce with chicken broth and some dried sausage on a red snapper.

Lots of sausages and lots of pasta.

16 Likes

Well I’m somewhat cheating here. After numerous times I just ended up buying the dough from the local bakery . I put it in the fridge covered for two days. Then I remove it punch it down then shape it into a ball . This is pizza dough. I figured I would try and make bread out of it . 450 for a half hour with a cup of water for steam . This dough will be for pizza Wednesday or Thursday. Ready to remove from the bag .

5 Likes

Oranges

Really ersatz Swedish meatballs. Lets just call them beef splats!

12 Likes

Long day at work = Chinese takeout tonight.

The kitchen reopens tomorrow.

6 Likes

I was going to go to the office and catch up from last week and get a head start on this week, but by mid-morning, that idea was rejected for staying home with the dog and relaxing. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dinner was Quorn meatless crispy “chicken” sandwiches with spicy slaw and pickles, roasted baby potatoes, and lentil salad.

10 Likes

I want to eat at your house.

2 Likes

Tacos from the carnitas I made yesterday, and Mexi-rice. A true shame we were out of cilantro.

Froze two batches of the pork for future meals.

12 Likes

Started out making a (tweaked) coconut lentil soup from Ottolenghi, but then I wanted a bit more, so I sautéed some cauliflower too, and heated up a paratha.

In the middle of all this, the bottom fell off the container I was blending the lentils in, so I lost half of what I cooked, made a giant mess, and ate really late.

Soup / dal was really good, though - glad there’s another serving salvaged for tomorrow.

14 Likes

How infuriating! Grr

2 Likes

Lobster Moilee, from the book, Rasika. A delicious curry, different from most Indian food I’ve made or had. The only spice in it is turmeric and curry leaves, lots of coconut milk, ginger, onions and garlic. 63B764FF-844C-4C9C-A626-EBFCD8039CCF

17 Likes

Infuriating cooking night here last night but it was tasty. The gyozas wouldn’t come off the pan and when relooking at the recipe it does explicitly call for a non stick pan. I made pork and cabbage gyoza with sides of sauteed baby bok choy and more mung bean salad. I doubled the dumplings and was getting way too hungry to continue. Made the rest of the batch into meatballs for the freezer. Removing the pic after I realized it has all kinds of personal info on it. Oye.

5 Likes

Mrs PH and myself as children of the 50’s and grew up on convenient canned vegetables. So last night was a nostalgia meal.
We decided to go all in and 5 different veggies.

Uploading: 20200130_175846.jpg… Uploading: 20200130_181610.jpg…

Pan grilled center cut t-bone pork chops. Grape soda for Mrs; Seltzer for me.

PS…we are still waiting delivery of our new dinette table and chairs, and yes that is a folding table and chairs.

16 Likes

Much better pic of last night’s dinner as lunch leftovers!

18 Likes