What's For Dinner #54 - The Leap Month Edition - February 2020

Simple fix of chicken lettuce wraps tonight.

2 Likes

Falafel wraps tonight with sweet potato fries inside. Leftover tzatziki and ajvar, along with pickled cucumbers. Meh. Not big on these TJ’s falafel, but maybe we overcooked them in our new air-fryer microwave.

8 Likes

made all-the-old-crap-in-the-fridge soup the other night. Toulouse sausage (some Frenchy herb blend), potatoes, shroooms, mini peppers, celery & carrot, basil, garlic, onions, chicken stock, and then turmeric, which tied it all together Pretty good. BF toasted up some rye bread, grated some parm reg, and that was dinner.

13 Likes

Looks yum!

1 Like

Your soup looks great.

We do all the old crap soup, salad and omelettes but our favorite is all the old crap pizza. Especially if there’s many different old crap cheeses.

2 Likes

House double cheeseburger with grilled onions . Side of slaw. Cheers .

18 Likes

Love the fries inside :raised_hands:t3:

The flatbread looks good - what did you use?

2 Likes

Tomatoes with blue cheese dressing

GREEN soup = zucchini, spinach, celery, onion, potato, big chunk of butter, garnished with creme fraiche and bacon

By special request, garlic toast grilled in the bacon fat!

14 Likes

Last weekend we were shopping at one of the Patel Brothers grocery stores in Edison, NJ (there are 2 less than a mile apart but I like one location better than the other). The store was crowded, especially the produce section. The biggest crowd was buying okra. I thought about buying some but okra is gross and slimy. Then we went to dinner and Bhindi/Okra was on the menu so I thought I may as well try it. IT WAS AMAZING! So I went back to the store and bought some to try.

I cobbled together a dish from various recipes in an attempt to recreate what I had that night. It came very close. There was a slight char on the okra and no slime whatsoever. I served it with Egg Masala from one of my favorite books, Curried Flavors, by Maya Kaimal MacMillian and purchased naan.

15 Likes

Inndeed! I try to buy small pods, wash and dry, moosh in EVOO, salt and pepper and grill in a cast iron pan. Char, crunch, delicious.

1 Like

Many of the recipes I saw called for washing the pods and then making sure they were totally dry before cooking. I used a large stainless steel sauté pan. The pods cooked for about 15 minutes at a medium high heat and then another 5-7 minutes at a lower heat. I let them cook until all the slime was cooked out I think.

A cast iron pan sounds like a great idea. I imagine the char would be even better. Thanks for the tip.

An organic whole wheat tortilla from Mission. They are way better than the conventional ones! Pricey at $3.50 for 8.

1 Like

You’re killing me! :drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face:

1 Like

Dinner night before last; eggplant, ground turkey, tofu, over fresh rice. Tasty!

Oh and potstickers too.

12 Likes

I can assume but which Patel Brothers do you like better? I love that store!!!

I’ve been cooking but failed to take any pics except tonight’s Valentine’s day pizza :heart_eyes:

I did a super delicious Japanese eggplant, tofu, bok choy, mushroom, scallion thing earlier this week. I loved it. The rest of the gang gave it a solid ehhhh.

Happy Hallmark day everybody! :partying_face:

11 Likes

I like the one that’s to the left off of Wood Avenue assuming you are coming from Route 27S. It’s the one that sometimes has women making fresh naan, samosa, etc.

1 Like

It’s a Friday. Which means steak tips from my local butcher.

Burgundy steak tips with Ballymaloe Steak Sauce, half a baked tater with the PSTOB and lots of sour cream, and asparagus.

Oh shit, yeah. There was wine. Long weekend ahead, after all. :+1:

And the only pic I could get of my non-interested in-house boyfriends who are keeping me company on this romantic night.

I’ll have a Licor 43 for dessert.

15 Likes

Poor BF’s dinner was not his best. TJs balsamic/rosemary steak tips (which I bought) cooked through so fast the meat was super well done and dry but he couldn’t even get a sear on one side. also, no discernible rosemary. mashed taters were good, if a little salty. best were the sauteed shrooms/onions/zukes. We don’t celebrate V-Day, but we’ll be going out for cocktails later - it’s Friday night!

6 Likes

i bet YOUR steaktips were delish!

love those BFs… :heart_eyes:

1 Like