What's For Dinner #54 - The Leap Month Edition - February 2020

I’m so very sorry for your loss. BTDT ever-so-recently myself.

And your cheat meal sounds very good!

3 Likes

Quickie - ww bowties with sausage, spinach, fennel, and red sauce, cooked in the IP (of course) last night. DH made this, actually.

11 Likes

Taco Monday

Chicken breast injected with a citrus/oil dressing before hitting the skillet. Veg of stuff hanging in the fridge. A few snow peas, tomato, jalapeño and cilantro. Corn tortillas toasted on the comal.

15 Likes

Looks wonderful!

1 Like

All I can see is bacon :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Matzoh ball soup - first attempt! Used the tasty soup I made last week.

Started with tomato focaccia I made over the weekend, with olive oil and calabrian chile paste for dipping.

15 Likes

Could have been the most amazing chicken under a brick (pan sauce deglazed with my 2019 tomato shrub!) , the beginnings of a tuna nicoise salad for tommorow ( more shrub in the vinaigrette),
brussel sprouts roasted in bacon fat

AND my son is coming to visit from Turkey for the first time in almost a year, but husband insisted I bone his chicken breast before putting it under the brick!

:worried:

15 Likes

Breakfast for dinner. Landed SFO ex Taipei 12 hours ago. Too lagged to slog out to buy fresh food.

SPAM steak with runny eggs, ACME torpedo roll. Green leaf salad still good after some time in the crisper.

Shopping tomorrow. :slight_smile:

16 Likes

Went to the market for sandwich steaks but saw a deal on filet that was too good to pass up.

Salt and pepper crust. Three minutes on each side in cast iron. Finished four minutes in the oven. Perfectly rare. Side of air fryer potatoes.

17 Likes

Perfect

2 Likes

Agreed

Most important: Hurray for your son coming to visit!

I adore chicken under a brick but have only prepared that dish outside on the grill. Under a foil-covered brick, for the sake of cleanliness.

So I’m curious if you prepared that delicious-looking chicken indoors using an actual brick? ‘Cause if I follow in your footsteps I can tell my husband one of my Onion pals did this. Then it’s legit to him. I’d have to adopt a brick from the garden outside.

6 Likes

Soup of the night: Kale and sweet potato with turkey linguica. It’s a riff on caldo verde.

This bowl got a squeeze of lemon and several grinds of pepper at the table.

Tasty enough. I expect the flavors to meld and improve as the leftover soup rests in the fridge.

ETA: Based on the favorable opinions of others on HO, I tried Better Than Bullion roasted chicken base to sub for stock that I did not have. Handy! I did double the product-to-water ratio—normal for me as I usually dilute commercial stock or broth.

8 Likes

Slightly random dinner tonight.

The last of the bulgur mujadara, okra with caramelized onions, and finished with green mung bean pancakes.

Frozen okra is so disappointing compared to fresh… sigh.

Pancakes turned out great, on the other hand

11 Likes

I use a heavy cast iron skillet just a bit smaller than the pan I’m cooking the chicken in.

1 Like

Grilled and chopped boneless/skinless chicken thighs with onions and jalapenos. Heavily seasoned with adobo, garlic powder, and black pepper. Side of rice and pink beans.

11 Likes

Aha, then my indoor chicken under a brick will have to be free of an actual brick. I could see my husband laughing his head off at the sight of a foil wrapped brick on the stove. A cast iron skillet should do nicely indeed.

And ( I like to think ) I’d say “Tell your story walking!”
My all time favorite line ( from Frasier).

For the record, my “walking-while-story-telling” husband arranged for an amazing exhaust to be installed in our kitchen.

4 Likes

Very much how I make my caldo verde minus the sweet potato. Yours looks delicious

1 Like

I had some extra fennel to use up so made a super simple riff on bouillabaisse. Sautéed onions, garlic, fennel, simmered with clam broth, white wine, fire-roasted tomatoes, and saffron until soft. Seafood mix tossed in at the last minute. Served with garlic toast and rouille. Hit the spot.

17 Likes