What's for Dinner #53 - the Start of the New Decade Edition - January 2020

Nah, all in the emotion of the evening.

What he’s actually in trouble for is forgetting to open a bottle of champagne…

2 Likes

1) Roast Chicken and Vegetables
2) Antipasti Penne
3) Chicken Tikka Masala

I often have Chicken Tikka Masala for my dinner as it is very delicious and I got to know it from Desi Lunch Box restaurant when I visited Dubai and the rest two are from a blog. For more healthy dishes I would list some of them here sooner.

1 Like

I had to make a “mid-course correction” while prepping dinner last night. Our meal should have been French Dip sandwiches (yes again), but I discovered we didn’t have enough shaved beef for two. Or, au jus. So out came the yellow potatoes for a riff on a hash. And it worked.

11 Likes

Is it a requirement that you must be a good cook before you are allowed entry into your neighborhood? Looks delicious!!!

2 Likes

We evaluate on a case-by-case basis. :rofl:

4 Likes

@Madrid, I didn’t know where else you might be able to find Fat Moon’s mushrooms so I emailed the owner. She said that Neighbor’s Acre Farm (find them on Facebook) at the Cambridge (Winter) Farmer’s Market has been taking her product there.

Not sure how often or what’s offered, so if you do Facebook or are at the Cambridge winter market you could check out Neighbor’s Acre Farm to see if they’ll have Fat Moon mushrooms on any given week.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I think we paid around $10 for the bag of fancy mushrooms we bought Saturday, and I put nearly every morsel to use in my risotto pot. Cooked the stems longer than the more tender caps, of course.

3 Likes

Cheese fondue with Mont d’or, minced garlic, white wine and garlic.

Ate with ham, potatoes and bread

Chicken with morilles with wine and cream. Splendid!

Alsacienne pork shoulder cooked with grainy mustard and white wine

I used it in a Choucroute.

Smoky paprika razar clams

Leek with bone marrow, and mustard, lemon, coriander sauce

Homemade Nanterre brioche
Tearful, as the fresh yeast under performed, nothing happened the first day. I tossed it in the fridge overnight hoping something would happen, nothing. Discouraged, forgot it one whole day in the fridge. On the third day, I took the dough out in room temperature, after 4 - 5 hours, I was about to add my second dose of yeast to save my dough and then I noticed the dough finally double its original size. (Normally 1 hour) I got rid of the gas, and another night in the fridge to rest. Final fourth day, I tossed in the oven and it became this.

Egg tart with puffy pastry style Provins, city closed to Paris famous for its celebration on medieval architecture and events. Normally, it is a cake to give to orphans on Toussaint. First time I make it, probably a bit too much ‘custard’…it has orange blossom water. Tasted quite close to Pastéis de Nata except the cinnamon. Love that, will make again.

A few dishes for CNY.

Crispy sesame chicken

Fried rice with crab meat, dried scallop, egg while and whole egg, preserved egg york

Brocoli, shiitake mushrooms, dried scallops

Pan fried water chestnuts cake

19 Likes

A win!

10 Likes

Thanks! I think I need some help from bakers here. More failures than success!

1 Like

I made Korean Pan-fried meat and tofu patties (Wanja-jeon) from Maangchi.com - but oven-baked rather than egg-washed, dredged, and fried. Served as lettuce wraps with rice, gochujang, cucumber, jalapeño, kimchi, and hoisin sauce. Quite yum!

16 Likes

Started the menu with a bag of cut collard greens. Got those on the stove with a little onion and garlic to simmer, just love them.

Got that going then worked on the the main. Tuna steaks. Made a mix of chopped cilantro and orange zest to top the fish with

All worked well. Really dug the collards

8 Likes

Super busy lately and no time to cook! Finally got home in time to make a decent dinner tonight and whipped up a riff on a shrimp and chorizo dish someone posted last month (sorry I can’t remember who!). I didn’t have chorizo, though - only Leidy’s andouille, which is quite lean. Butter to the rescue! Chopped up the sausage and sauteed it briefly in olive oil to render out a little fat and spice, then added a ton of sliced garlic and cooked another couple of minutes on low heat until the garlic was soft. Removed it all from the pan leaving the oil behind, then added shrimp for a quick sear. Deglazed with white vermouth and tossed in 6 tablespoons of butter to cool off the pan, then put the sausage and garlic back in with a handful of chopped cilantro. Squeeze of lemon and it was PERFECTION. I served it with parmesan roasted broccoli - we scraped the pans and licked our plates clean!

9 Likes

What a great idea. How long did you bake them and at what temp? These look really good!

350F for 10-15 min, then jacked up to 400F for a few more. They were juicy and delicious! I also added a bit of panko.

I doubled the recipe

9 Likes

Thanks - I’m definitely going to try these.

Cool! Thank @Saregama

Looks delicious! Do I spy grated carrot?

Glad you enjoyed it… I have to get some tofu so I can make them. I do like the slurry coating.

Also reminded me about a Rachael Ray (the horror!) meat patty recipe from one of her books - tastes like the inside of a dumpling. Easy and delicious.

1 Like

HAn unusually indulgent pasta dinner at home, mostly because I have a stinking headache and I wanted something quick and pleasing (and I’m fed up of chicken soup at the moment :joy:)

Cappellini with truffle mushroom sauce, finished with some butter and grated cheese. Delicious.

The jar of sauce was very briefly available at TJ’s before thanksgiving. My store ran out in a day, but my aunt picked up a few for me at her store in MA. I’ve been disappointed with TJ’s truffle products in the past, but this was quite good. Next time I’ll add sautéed wild mushrooms for a more complete dish.

10 Likes

Tonight was a very beige and not 'gram worthy air fried pork cutlet with couscous and a spinach salad. No pics. Meh.

3 Likes

Another attempt at edible chicken breasts, this time using this recipe for roasted bone in chicken breast from Seious Eats.

Not terrible.

11 Likes