What's for Dinner #53 - the Start of the New Decade Edition - January 2020

Nice!

1 Like

Thanks so much for your reply. I’ll check out Neighbor’s Acre Farm at the Cambridge Winter Market. I used to go to that winter market a lot but now instead I usually go to the Somerville Winter Market. This mushroom vendor is usually in Somerville:

I’m curious about Fat Moon, so I’ll investigate. I have three joint replacements and can’t take public transportation to food shop, so the really awful parking situation in Cambridge is an impediment. Somerville Armory isn’t great either, but it’s better! Thanks again.

1 Like

WOW. all of it. WOW. I am bowing and drooling, simultaneously.

3 Likes

GIOVANNISPONGECHOCOGOLDTOPPING68644351_1464264897054179_4969819469812596736_n

Dessert Photography: Giovanni, my dear.
Grandsons delights.

9 Likes

Stunning! A real work of art.

Mujadara for dinner tonight.

Made with bulgur instead of rice for a change.

13 Likes

I made spaghetti alla chitarra alle vongole in the IP, adding artichoke hearts. It’s good to be an adult and just do what you want sometimes! Everyone liked it.

Roasted Brussels with shallot powder and oo and steamed broccoli with butter, orange vinegar, and soy sauce as sides.

14 Likes

Have not been posting since I ma not cooking much There is inertia or plain laziness.
Yesterday, decided to make Siomai, different kinds ( chicken + shrimp), Duck + shrimp to freeze as son is coming home next week.
No picture taken as I was just rushing to finish them off since nowadays, I have to brush the poms twice a day as well as smear their teeth at night with healthy mouth’s oral gel. Now, somehow, they are sliding around the house and I was told to buy something for their paws at night when they are already ini bed , so all these takes time.
Today, I decided to make congee.
Use around 2 ,5 cups of rice ( measurements using the cups provide by Aroma, 12 cups of broth from chicken bones, shrimp shells, asparagus and other vegetable ends), reconstituted shiitake mushroom, dried Louisiana shrimp, star anise, ginger and turned on slow cook porridge menu. Meantime, I browned ground chicken thighs in EVoo, shrimp, then added caramelized onions, Szechuan spicy condiment with blackbeans, spicy chili crisp, garlic, soy sauce and lots of sesame oil as well as crispy fried shallot from Asian store, ( I was out of spring onions so, this works as back up) .When porridge was almost ready, added this to porridge, and more sesame oil.
I had 2 bowls of this creamy porridge .
Really good with side dish of XO to add
However, am hungry again after 3 hours!
Will have to eat some Chinese NY’s bean cake with salty eggs.

15 Likes

Soul food

Nice to see your post @ccj, I was beginning to worry about you!

2 Likes

Crunchy okra alongside the mujadara

12 Likes

Those sides sound delish

1 Like

OMG, I’ve only wanted yogurt the past couple days, but I think I could devour that okra. Maybe even just inhale it!!

1 Like

Well that’s a good sign your appetite is coming back :smiley:

2 Likes

Looks Fab. My kinda Soul Food !

The crispy caramelized onions really make the dish. Well it’s my favorite part. The oil used to caramelize the onions also carry loads of flavor. So simple yet so good. Simple being a relative word. Getting the onions brown and crispy and not burnt is the biggest challenge

3 Likes

Yes indeed

Agree. I browned some onions for the flavor, and supplemented with crunchy onions from TJs that I’m trying to use up.

I am fine. Has had former colleague brought her 2 daughters home for the holiday for dinner, birthday lunch for a friend but did not get around to taking pictures. ( Apple update phone which makes it a bit difficult for me as I am not a computer geek. Also had someone come to fix leaking wax ring but did not know what he was doing, so had to wait for plumber to come)

4 Likes

Man, I would love a seat at your table! Everything looks sensational!

Very interesting about that bread. Did you notice a sourness to it? It looks beautiful and you can often mimic some of that sourdough tang with a long ferment.

2 Likes

Did you deep fry the okra? Would love to learn more about the prep and cooking method

Looks delicious