What's for Dinner #53 - the Start of the New Decade Edition - January 2020

Made my first batch of falafel this afternoon along with tahini sauce. A bit prep intensive because my fp work bowl req’d breaking up the pulsed ingred steps into parts and folding together in a bowl after but they taste delicious and the cumin/garlic flavor level…well, somehow I managed to nail it…and taste test it :wink:

19 Likes

Looks delicious! I’ve only made these once but great reminder to do so again!

1 Like

Looks great! Did you use a recipe?

I’m always tempted, and always fighting the urge :joy:

Got away with beets and a cauliflower plus some apples and lemons. Oh and chicken legs because I’ve been craving soup given the tundra I came back to :joy:

Yes, my wife has been following a gal from CA’s blog called, Downshiftology. Knowing this, I used both falafel and tahini recipes. Video step by step was also useful to me.

2 Likes

those look perfect!

Thanks, it was OK. Probably better if I had freshly cut mirepoix, but sometimes expediency counts.

The nice big piece of mahi mahi stood up well to a highly umami gojuchang/ginger/honey/sesame oil paste. I didn’t pan-sear the fish first because I didn’t want to dirty a saute pan and a baking dish (a recently-acquired vintage Dansk baking dish that I LOVE from a now-closed modern vintage shop in Essex MA). So I put the fish with the paste in the baking dish, covered with foil and cooked at a low heat, then removed the foil and ramped up the heat right before serving to let the paste caramalize. I would’ve used my cast iron skillet to go from stove-top to oven but I sadly have let it rust and need to re-season it. :sob:

Sides were cold take-out style peanut/sesame noodles with cukes and sauteed rapini in garlic and lemon. Definitely a repeat, especially the fish.

My meals that I post all look the same for some reason. Maybe it’s my boring plating? Same/but slightly different ingredients? :thinking:

14 Likes

Thanks. I wasn’t sure how wet/dry the final mix should be but I’m glad I didn’t overdo the chickpea flour because they firmed up nicely in the oven but aren’t dry in the center. I didn’t feel like bothering with frying but I’m sure frying would be equally delicious and more crisp.

2 Likes

A dinner preview.

I’m thinking that maybe just four or five times a year, I’ll walk into our kitchen and be dumbstruck by the aroma that has built up while our dinner is cooking. Today is such a day. I have pork country ribs, yellow potatoes, small diced celery & shallots brewing in the Slo Cooker in a white wine and butter bath. The aroma filling the room is very nearly sinful.

Dinner is at 5:15. Pics to follow…

12 Likes

What about Google Maps directions? We’re ready…

4 Likes

I shall be having one/several tonight as I am off tomorrow (not that work the next day stops me, but just needed a few day detox/step back). Work week has been up and down! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Sure is. It follows the three F’s: Fattening Food is Fun.

2 Likes

Another dinner preview. The cherub who slept over last night woke me at 4 feeling hot and achy. 102°. Texted her mother at 6 to come collect her. Went downstairs and let her try to sleep. Came back to find her in my bed. Spent much of the morning washing bedding. Dinner guests coming tonight. Thank goodness most is under control and the rest is mostly on “been there, done that autopilot” Will advise.

10 Likes

Ugh on levels! Sick kids are never a good time for anyone involved. Hope you don’t get it either.

2 Likes

Gorgeous pupusas, Saregama!

Thanks! This is quite close to what I ended up making with my pork loin ribs, except no Old Bay or vinegar.

Those look incredible! Love the bright green.

Gosh, I hope that’s the worst of it, and that the rest of your household stays well.

1 Like

Halibut tacos, chili zucchini, charred cauliflower. A really good syrah-grenache from Naked wine to go with.

13 Likes