What's for Dinner #53 - the Start of the New Decade Edition - January 2020

I think it would be great if we all stopped talking about why/how other people don’t drink, insist that they do for some important occasion??? That’s so wrong. And for you, I hope you would feel comfortable to respond to an invitation to somewhere, to say, what if we tried…(non bar, etc.)…enforcing drinking for some and forbidding drinking for others??? I don’t get it.

1 Like

Total bummer mariacarmen, sorry you are having such a siege of ill health :cry: Rest, hydrate & get well soon!

2 Likes

And I’ve NEVER seen them there…then again, maybe I’ve not been looking before!

3 Likes

We have this exact oven. I really love it. Got it for a gift after we gutted and remodeled the kitchen. It’s been flawless for three years.

1 Like

Made Ina’s Italian Wedding Soup tonight. Delicious, fresh, quick, and the addition of white wine to the soup was really nice. I doubled the meatball recipe (and used ground turkey cause that is what I had) and froze half for a later meal.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/italian-wedding-soup-recipe-1945517

17 Likes

We had another outstanding dinner at Drew’s. Below is a link to the details and pictures.

3 Likes

Beautiful! Isn’t it incredible how much of a difference store bought wrappers are???

1 Like

When I was catering our mantra was know what you do best and what others do better. We always bought our dumpling wrappers. The results were infinitely better - both in taste and appearance - than if we made our own.

2 Likes

Been craving mushroom risotto. So when I had a chance to snag a mix of locally grown mushrooms at the farmer’s market, risotto needed to happen.

Parmesan cheese added after I took the photo, because otherwise you wouldn’t see any mushrooms.

These Fat Moon mushrooms are exceptional when you find them absolutely fresh (Boston ‘burbs). Sometimes I see sad local mushrooms that a retailer has held for too long.

14 Likes

Oh, great that you got such a good deal on the Breville! Ours gets a lot of use, and looking at how nice and clean yours is makes me a little envious. It’s tough to get the baked-on cheese from reheating pizza. Anyway, enjoy!
Dinner looks great, too.

2 Likes

Now there’s a find! I’ve been debating the counterspace for the Breville (their small one is just too tiny inside).

In the past, I’ve found their name good / bigger appliances to be overpriced compared to online discounted prices - well the store near me anyhow.

1 Like

Yep, I do think it’s less severe than it would have been had I not gotten the shot. I’m feeling 99% better today.

5 Likes

I’m Boston area, but not 'burbs, would love to be able to buy those mushrooms. Where?

1 Like

I was off FB all day so didn’t hear about Kobe Bryant, his daughter, and the others lost in the helicopter crash in Calabasas, CA until I heard it on the evening news. My heart goes out to all of their families. :sob:

Dinner was relatively simple: chicken thighs seasoned with olive oil, s/p, lemon zest, and lemon juice and roasted in the convection oven. Sides were steamed asparagus and leftover rice. And wine.

9 Likes

We had chicken thighs, too. We’ve found a Tuscan spice blend we really like on chicken made by Sarah’s Sea Salt . Our sides were roasted acorn squash and whole berry cranberry sauce out of the can. Oh, and wine. My heart breaks for the families in the tragic fatal accident. What a horrible way to die and what promising lives lost.

3 Likes

We had our vegetarian neighbor and her dad over for dinner - a potluck at her suggestion. She brought mushroom Wellington and excellent zucchini fritters (fried up to order) served with garlicky yogurt sauce. I laid out Castelvetrano olives, pistachios, and sweet potato chips and made rigatoni alla vodka, lemony fennel slaw, and black-raspberry crostada with maple-bourbon vanilla yogurt sauce. All was delicious. We cracked three bottles of red that went down well with the food.

14 Likes

Simple homemade pizza and ham calzone tonight. Lots of leftovers to munch on the next few days.

11 Likes

You had me at mushroom Wellington :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Late night and/or hangover meal of champions - chicken kathi roll - chunks of grilled chicken wrapped in an egg-coated paratha, with pickled onions, chutney, and gratuitous green chilies in this case.

I’m not hungover, but we over-ordered these at 1:30am, for whatever reason they didn’t arrive till almost 3am, and half the intended eaters had left or fallen asleep… so those of us still standing ate one or two then and I brought a couple home today.

Funny thing was, I tried to order food - both pizza and kathi rolls - at midnight when half the party was still there, but friend’s (very drunk and bugged at caterers for not clearing up) hubby yelled at me - WHO was still hungry? Caterers had also stiffed us on food, unbeknownst to him at the time… heavy apps were neither heavy nor sufficient nor well circulated… anyhoooo… an hour after I calmed him down, and with everyone even more hungry (and having eaten through the disgusting, cold leftovers) he placed the order directly with the restaurant rather than through the food delivery service, figuring it would be quicker… nope, no indeedy.

(I got a few apology texts from him today… sorry I yelled, sorry I didn’t listen, sorry I didn’t just let you do it given that only one of us was in our senses, etc, etc :rofl: He’s like my brother so it’s not like the “yelling” actually even registered :joy:)

A fun night, but now I need to catch up on sleep again.

So, one of extra kathi rolls I brought home for early dinner. Sooooo good.

11 Likes

Epic.