What's for Dinner #53 - the Start of the New Decade Edition - January 2020

I LOVE that recipe!

1 Like

We usually ate when they are ripe, i.e. soft. Recently, a Vietnamese told us we should eat while they are still green.

+1 for dry vermouth cooking seafood or poultry dishes.

Love maki! Quite some work!

1 Like

LOL! Next time, he cooks!

1 Like

Sardine “bruschetta” for a Sunday quickie meal.

Stuffed shrimp with garlic, shrimp paste XO sauce.

Mushroom with fish sauce and served with coconut milk cooked rice. All 3 dishes inspired by Chicago’s Fat Rice Macao cooking.

French onion soup and lamb ragout. (posted in the French COTQ thread)

17 Likes

Were they good? How odd that the mix had no fish.

Thank you! We used a Silpat for rolling.

Multipurpose! Any tips on proper filling layout. My few tries at sushi, when it came time to slice the roll the filling collapsed.

1 Like

Do you soak chops in milk first?

No, just pounded lightly, dusted with seasoned flour, dipped in egg and panko.

2 Likes

After a long 8 mile walk along the causeway and into Honeymoon Island state park, we got home just after sunset. Seafood was on my mind and the fact that it cooks quick was a plus

14 Likes

We had the fixins’ for French Dip sandwiches so I went with that…

9 Likes

I pressed a thin layer of this rice over the whole sheet of nori except the far edge (left about 3/4" uncovered). I did cook the rice with the sugar and salt but sprinkled the vinegar over after it was partly cooled. The rolls with less filling held together better - I think most important is to roll them tightly. Ingredients with a little give (like avocado) can also help act like glue. A very sharp knife is a must for slicing.

2 Likes

Thanks, as always. I have a bamboo mat for tight rolling but I prob over stuffed. And the rice thing is very useful for future attempts. Thanks to my brother, who loves to sharpen stuff, every blade is always in good shape.

The recipe reads like an adaptation of Kerala fish moilee (I lol’ed at her headnote of “South Indian channa” which is an oxymoron). Moilee is lightly spiced, a green chilli adds heat, but it’s just aromatics and tempering aside from that - perfect for light white fish. I could see chickpeas needing something more…

2 Likes

Nice roll action!

Tempted me though I’m off sushi for a bit - my welcome-home-from vaca takeout sushi (or accompanying soy sauce) a couple of days ago triggered my allergic (eyelid swelling) reaction. Sigh.

1 Like

Happy new year, Onions!

Missed the camaraderie and meal sharing these past weeks while I was away.

Back in my kitchen, but have to find my 2020 cooking mojo first!

10 Likes

Yesterday we hit the flea market and then late lunch at Boulevard Brewing. I had brisket nachos and DH had the brisket stew served with a biscuit. Food and beer were great. No dinner as we were still full.

15 Likes

Same to you! Happy to see you here.

2 Likes