What's for Dinner #51 - the It's Dark Outside! Edition - November 2019

Linda, I missed reading about your mother till early this morning.
I know how it feels as I lost my mother 13 months after arriving in the US for internship. It was a shock bec she was only 43 years old… It was very hard on me, arriving here with a J1 Visa, ( exchange visitor), I was unable to return home for her funeral for many reasons. I might not be able to return to the US for many years. I was 22 years old in a new Country, not having any CC still, and to top it all, it was Jan 30, a blizzard struck Maryland and northeast US with 50-60 mph wind causing white to condition in Maryland. There was report of 15 inches of snow on top of 12 inches already. on the ground with drifts a s high as 20’.
I o not have regrets about it as I will always remember my mother as the beautiful mother, who was trying to come to this country to visit me but thru some stupid error, she died an iatrogenic death . I never cooked when I was at home but I watch her often and remember all her tricks.
Your mother was very very blessed , in the short time I had come to know you, I find you one of the most affectionate and loving daughter to her. I know how you go out of the way often in your busy life to visit , feed her our wonderful dishes . The love between a mother and daughter is forever.

“When I am gone, release me. Let me go.
I have so many things to see and do.
You mustn’t tie yourself to me with tears.
Be happy that we had so many beautiful years.
I gave to you my love. You can only guess
How much you gave to me in happiness.
I thank you for the love you each have shown,
But now it’s time I traveled on alone.
So grieve a while for me, if grieve you must.
Then let your grief be comforted by trust.
It’s only for a while that we must part,
So bless the memories within your heart.
I won’t be far away, for life goes on.
So if you need me, call and I will come.
Though you can’t see or touch me, I’ll be near.
And if you listen with your heart,
You’ll hear all my love around you soft and clear.
And then, when you must come this way alone,
I’ll greet you with a smile and say welcome home …”

10 Likes

Tonight’s meal - one dish was a disaster.

Steamed cod fish in wine. Should have used the steamer or the saucier pan instead. I used a flat-bottomed frying pan and it ended up burning the rest of the ingredients after all the water and cooking wine evaporated (despite with a cover), minus the main - cod fish as it was on top of a kombu. :weary:

And chicken soup - drumsticks are in another bowl.

6 Likes

@LindaWhit

So sudden the news! Very sorry for your loss and hope the best for you. Would like to see the recipes of your dear mom. Mama must be very proud with all her lovely daughters. Stay strong!

2 Likes

@LindaWhit - I am so sorry for your loss. I hope that making your mom’s recipes will help you. Even though we’ve never met, I enjoy your food writing and wine comments tremendously. Take care.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry about your loss @LindaWhit

2 Likes

I’ve been cooking but not doing as well on pictures. I made a fun shrimp/red lentil curry thing which everyone else in my house refused to try so I ate that for 3 days. Last night, skirt steaks, roasted cauliflower and kale salads with a bottle of bubbly! My husband finally accepted a job he had done 6+ interviews for!

13 Likes

Those sound like two wonderful meals. I’ll have what your family doesn’t eat :slightly_smiling_face:
Congratulations to your husband on his new job :champagne: That is certainly reason to celebrate and give thanks for on this Thanksgiving!

4 Likes

We just got the turquoise cuff in the mail today. It is beautiful and very well made. It stays on her wrist and doesn’t turn around. It looks great with her other long cuff. As you can see Mrs. P is not too subtle :grinning:

This should keep me out of the dog house for a couple of weeks at least :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

great !I thought you will include Mrs. P’s picture as well.
BEAUTIFUL!
NO, you will never be in the doghouse as I know she must love you very much !

1 Like

Thank you! Mrs. P wasn’t really dressed for a picture.
I (as well as most husbands) always manage to find a way to get into the doghouse :rofl:

Congrats to Mr. @gracieggg!

2 Likes

HA HA
I thought life is simpler by myself with my son gone but he invited 2 friends with their parents here on Sunday and now, another friend who found out offered to go to Costco or me. I think she also wants to come as they are good friends , so, here I am.
Making a list to cook.
I guess I have enough duck leg confit from D’artagnan for duck confit cassoulet although I do not have garlic sausage ( I will add a shit ton of garlic to the Costco’s chicken sausage, and wil use turkey bacon instead of pancetta).
Am thinking of making individual cheese soufflé’s but that is kind of difficult as they deflate easy so am going to make butternut squash soufflé’s which does not deflate.
Also had some spring rolls which I made August before my alpha gal diagnosis, rolled 60 of them, will fry some as appetizers, some for my son when he returns in February, and not wanting to go to store, ordered a mocha cake from the famous German Konditorei in Arlington Va . Hmm asked my sister to get me some broccolini if her driver comes ( she has Parkinson’s so, gave her car to her cleaning lady and the son will drive her to the grocery store )
Still waiting for canned abalone to arrive from Ca via Fed Express for my pre thanksgiving diner as a treat for my sister.
Am not sure I can take pictures, kind of difficult when friends may not understand what it is all about

8 Likes

congratulations. Hope everything works!

1 Like

Thanks for sending the pic @paryzer - it looks straight out of Aida, and I mean that in the best possible way!

My H is still in the dog house, but I’m holding out for a car :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Haha, your son must be very proud of you and your cooking.

I am so sorry for your loss - my condolences to you and your family. I hope you can all enjoy raising a glass to Mom at Thanksgiving.

1 Like

That looks so fresh and appealing @shrinkrap! I want it for lunch! I could practically lick my IPad! Good pic too.

1 Like

His friends are here when he is at home . They cruise the bay, sleep out and return home Sunday or Monday, sleep over in the house and often have dinner here.
I guess they feel I cannot be alone during thanksgiving holiday but I had to go out of state to visit my sister, so they are planning to be here.
I cook simple meals based on what they like but lately, it has been tough bec of alpha gal.
No more smoking butts and ribs etc.

1 Like

I have to modify recipe for duck confit cassoulet bec of my diet.
No ventreche , no armagnac garlic sausage so I plan to use brandy, shit ton of garlic and turkey bacon instead.
I happen to be out of tomato paste and have decided to use my home made tomato sauce instead.
Hope that works out!

4 Likes

Wahooo! Congrats!!! :champagne:

2 Likes