What's for Dinner #51 - the It's Dark Outside! Edition - November 2019

Looks good beyond words @ChristinaM! I plan on ordering FD’s updated Land of Plenty shortly.

2 Likes

And cashews…:yum:

Oh, yep

Set alarm for 7 a.m.
Cat alarm woke me before 6 a.m.
The cat alarm(s) were pushed off the bed.

Listened to the return of Lisa Garvey’s A Train radio show this morning.
Glad to have her back, even if only online.

Called Mom’s home to see how she was doing.
Not a good day, so I didn’t drive down again. :disappointed_relieved:

Roasted 3 heads of garlic for the freezer.
Made a batch of Toll House chocolate chip cookies, half with toffee bits on top.

Dinner was using the last of my Patio container tomatoes. All but the 2 on the far right were picked green and ripened inside.

Sweet Italian sausage, broccoli, cheese tortellini and chopped tomatoes (augmented with some Pomi chopped tomatoes), dried basil oregano, and s/p with a sploosh of heavy cream. Grated Parm-Reg on top.

Wine as a side. And cookies for dessert. The Patriots on the screen.

17 Likes

Was planning to make salmon filets and a simple green vegetable tonight, but when it got dark at 4pm (waaaaaaaaaah - I hate standard time!) DH requested something a bit more hearty - my mom’s enchiladas. Flour tortillas (I used low-carb), smothered in a simple sauce made of ground beef, onions, garlic, cumin, chili powder and beef stock. Bake with lots of cheese and raw onions. The most comforting of all comfort foods!

7 Likes

We had another great dinner at Fin in Summit. Details and pictures below for those that are interested.

5 Likes

Bowl of clams with bread. Wine to drink.Cheers

16 Likes

Two dinners - tonight’s Serious Eats mayo and chimichurri marinated chicken, and Smitten Kitchen’s black bean soup with cumin crema, though I made it not soupy (on purpose!) Also, brussels sprouts with pancetta, brown sugar and whiskey (no bourbon in the house.) Thanks to @gcaggiano!

Loved the mayo marinade, and it cookes up beautifully without adding any additional oil or butter (plenty of fat in mayo & chimichurri.) Chicken turned out super tender and juicy. I’d use less chili flakes in the black beans next time. Loved that cumin crema.

Tomorrow night’s dinner, roasted TJs rainbow carrots, Jimmy Nardello peppers from the FM, a jalapeno, and red and green bell peppers. And an Italian pork roast liberally rubbed with the TPST of garlic, fennel, rosemary, thyme, kosher salt & pepper.

16 Likes

those tomatoes are real beauties!

sorry about mama - hope she’s feeling better tomorrow (tho I know you can’t see her until the weekend.)

2 Likes

Brilliant! I will have to try this soon.

1 Like

What cut of meat is the pork roast?

1 Like

I used shoulder this time. - I like it much better than loin.

4 Likes

Hope your mother is feeling better very soon.

I have some green ones still growing outside, I guess I should bring them indoors now.

1 Like

I made congee(ish) with leftover chicken pho from the freezer, garnished with cilantro, crispy onions (+ thinly-sliced white onion for DH), poached egg, green peas, Green Dragon hot sauce, and chili oil. Steamed haricots with orange vinegar, butter, soy sauce, and powdered ginger and lemongrass.

17 Likes

You definitely won this one!!! looks Devine

2 Likes

Pizza!
Mushroom, onion, eggplant and olive on my half. Sausage, pepper, onion on meat eaters half.

Would have been better on the grill (says me, always)

16 Likes

Running out of adjectives to describe all your lovely and sumptuous looking meals. Hang on while I grab a thesaurus :yum::+1:

6 Likes

Depending on your outside temps. I picked them all a couple of weeks ago when it was going to get down to low 40s at night. Didn’t expect them to ripen, but they did! Not sure I would have used most of them raw in a salad flavorwise, but they worked in this cooked meal.

2 Likes

These days the temperature varies from 9°- 14°C or 47°-57°F, a big one turned slightly red a few days ago and I took it inside. The late riping cherries are still eatable as salads.

I have some young shoots of purple basils, there aren’t much growth after like 6 weeks outside, maybe I will take them indoors and use a grow light.

2 Likes

Aww, sweet of you to say!