What's for Dinner #51 - the It's Dark Outside! Edition - November 2019

Doneness looks perfect. Extra rosemary for moi.

My previous house has a fireplace but I never cooked anything in it. Great for burning wine corks, though. It was a surprise to me how primitive Albania (still) is. In the countryside they still cook all kinds of things in the fireplace, a lot.

4 Likes

Way cool . I did duck on a string at my old house . Cooked it in front of the fireplace. I have a old Faberware rottisere. I dont have a fireplace now . I can build a fire pit outside and do the same technique. Thanksgiving anybody . The wheels are turning. I love that shit.

7 Likes

Genius! How long on the roti? Our fire pit is out the kitchen side door. My brother took the brick fireplace that came with our home and converted it years back. It’s very handy for large cuts of protein.

1 Like

Boned leg = under an hour. Probably around 50 minutes. We’re pretty cavalier on measurements and timing.

2 Likes

Everyone was indifferent tonight. When that happens: chicken cutlets. May top with some roasted asparagus and shaved smoked gouda we have leftover from a meal a few days ago. Side of couscous.

6 Likes

Usual Friday dinner on Saturday. NY Strip steak pan-seared on the grill pan and finished in the oven, with Ballymaloe Steak sauce on top, and baked tater with the PSTOB and sour cream alongside.

Steamed green beans that were supposed to have drizzled red onions sprinkled on top…but I burned them. When they say they go from golden to burnt in a few seconds, they ain’t kidding. So butter and s/p sufficed.

Did I mention wine? Yeah. There was a couple of pours. More cheesy movies are in order tonight.

19 Likes

Voila!

15 Likes

RedJim - I would like to hear more about this bath in wet breading process if you don’t mind. Looks great!!

3 Likes

Second night in the country = pizza

A lot of fun but one of the most labor intensive meals I do. I really hate “a la carte”
Samples

Then I lose count between rolling, topping and finally trying to eat…

22 Likes

Wine and cheesy movies relieves all . Fabulous darling .:relieved:

4 Likes

So glad you are posting again!

1 Like

We had another fabulous dinner with our friends at Cafe Panache. Below is a link to details and pictures for anyone that might be interested.

4 Likes

3/4 cup of cool water, whisked into half a box of fry mix. Chicken coated, then in the oven at 375 until “golden brown”. :hugs:

6 Likes

Lazy person’s charcuterie feast for us on a chilly November Saturday night. All I did was arrange plates and slice up a honeycrisp apple to serve as “salad.”

The combo: Lomo, bresciola, tartufo, mole, and country pate meats. Barndance cheese. Sourced from Moody’s in Waltham, MA.

17 Likes

Love at first sight on your rotisserie and pizza oven set ups. Simply knowing that these exist and that you are using them makes me happy. The stuff of dreams!

5 Likes

I just added the Drake’s crispy fry mix to my Amazon cart. I’ll have to try this out, thanks @RedJim!

2 Likes

I hope you like it @LindaWhit.

1 Like

We made Fuchsia Dunlop’s gong bao chicken with thighs and added garden peppers. Home run. Cauli jasmine rice as the carb.

17 Likes

HOLY CRAP that looks amazing!

1 Like

beautiful spread!

3 Likes