What's for Dinner #51 - the It's Dark Outside! Edition - November 2019

I absolutely love crab, but I can only eat it at a restaurant because I wouldn’t have any idea what to do with them once I bought them… and your wife should open a restaurant, so those of use who are not as fortunate as you to live with such talent can enjoy her meals as much as you do.

2 Likes

Thank you for the kind words @HungryAllTheTime :relaxed: I am very fortunate, but there are quite a few accomplished cooks on this web site. Mrs. P is just self taught. Her mother was a lousy cook.

The great thing about these Costco crabs is that they are already cooked. You can either let them come down to room temperature, or quickly steam them and have them with drawn butter and old bay seasoning. There is nothing stopping you from buying some, unless you are not a Costco member :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I have not purchased crabs from Costco. As you may know, my property has one of the best blue crab spot, that is if my son is wiling to go and put the crab pots in. He did the previous years but not this year. However, he had his fishing rods on the dock and for 2 weeks prior to leaving, we were catching rockfish and catfish daily. We used to use the catfish for crab bait or give them away but this year, we tried and after just keeping the belly, discard all the red part, it was delicious fried ( either with egg, starch and panic or using Korean fried seafood dip like tempura dipped in crosse and Blackwell’s malt vinegar)
Enclosed is a typical day’s catch, both rockfish and catfish. He froze rockfish but a lot of catfish were given to friends

Have. you tried the octopus at Costco? They are pricey at around $31.00 I think. Very tempted. I love dried octopus ,rehydrated, marinaded in chili oil, garlic etc etc and roasted over fire.
I am glad you are getting better. I was at orthopedic doc yesterday. Pain on both tennis and gol elbow from 9/10 to 3/1o but have occasional flare ups so, I am better and am now typing again.
take it easy .

11 Likes

never!

1 Like

that’s on your side of the country, tho, right? I believe here on the West coast the season is being pushed back yet again… :sob: that was going to be part of our Thanksgiving weekend eats, so have to re-think (we don’t do the whole traditional turkey, etc., as it’s just my sister and me at her house while I help her with her dog boarding biz. I’ll maybe cook a turkey thigh for the BF.)

3 Likes

Gorgeous crabs!

How are they priced at Costco? Might have to make a trip, though I’m gone (again) most of thanksgiving week so I don’t know when I would eat them.

1 Like

Steam them! I couldn’t find the thread I was looking for, but this is the content.

Here it is!

Ode to Melanie Wong

Thank you. They are very reasonably priced for the size of them. I think the Dungeness crabs came out to about $8 each and the Alaskan King Crab legs came out to just under $20 each.

They are already cooked and frozen so you can vacuum seal them and eat them later.

1 Like

Yes, in NJ, but I would call your local Costco to see if they have them on sale. These were cooked and frozen and could have been shipped from anywhere. Obviously we don’t have local Alaskan King crab legs or Dungeness crabs in NJ :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Those are some beautiful fish @ccj! Fried catfish is very good. It’s more like a New Orleans or Southern thing.
I haven’t tried the Octopus at Costco, but I love Octopus, and usually order it as an appetizer if a restaurant is carrying it. Mrs. P never tried making it at home.

I am sorry to hear about your pain, but glad to hear you are slightly better, and hope the Doctor can give you something to manage the pain (maybe a cortisone shot)?
I always enjoy your posts and pictures. I like to live vicariously through your high end lifestyle, amazing cooking, and beautiful home :slightly_smiling_face: I hope that in the future you can find someone almost as good as your husband to share this beautiful lifestyle with.

2 Likes

Thank you Mr paryzer
I did have cortisone shots on both forearms 23 days ago when pain was 9/10. I could not even open my car door, nor turn ignition on with one hand.However, cortisone shot does cause my BS to spike and in addition, if too many shots are given, there is high tendency for the tendons to rupture. I also have pains in all my joints since 9/5 when my allergist requested that I discontinue my daily dose of ibuprofen. So, we are trying a new anti-inflammatory drug now .
I am 77, my husband was my best friend and the one and only one in my life and it is not till death do us part in our situation. You re very lucky to have a second chance with a lovely wife.
Take care.

3 Likes

ah i see, i misread - i’m looking for the steamed but not previously frozen we get every year, and I think they’re delaying the season this year until December. Thanks anyway!

ETA: here’s the story re our delay:

Drat! It’s always something.

1 Like

We just followed the instructions on the package. As I remember, you just added a bit more water and cooked them a little longer than fresh.

Do you mean the wrapper package? I think I made them from a Serious Eats recipe, which included directions from fresh and frozen, but I ended up doing it from memory; enough water to steam, with oil added with water to fry after. Lid on until just about done, then lid off, simmer the water off quickly, then pan fry in remaining oil.

Found it; I remembered wrong. Like ccj wrote.

To Cook: Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a medium non-stick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add as many dumplings as will fit in a single layer and cook, swirling pan, until evenly golden brown on the bottom surface, about 1 1/2 minutes.

Increase heat to medium-high, add 1/2 cup of water and cover tightly with a lid. Let dumplings steam for 3 minutes (5 minutes if frozen), then remove lid. Continue cooking, swirling pan frequently and using a thin spatula to gently dislodge the dumplings if they’ve stuck to the bottom of the pan, until the water has fully evaporated and the dumplings have crisped again, about 2 minutes longer. Slide dumplings onto a plate, turning them crisped-side-up before serving with the sauce

2 Likes

Hopefully your allergist can find the right anti-inflammatory drug and dosage.

I always thought that my 1st wife was my one and only, ‘till death do us part’, but eventually life goes on, and you can’t be lonely the rest of your life. I was very fortunate that ‘lightning struck twice’ and I was able to find the current Mrs. P. Don’t give up :slightly_smiling_face: Although you currently have some health issues, you are very active for 77, and cook like you are 37 :slightly_smiling_face: I don’t think anyone half your age would attempt to cook these massive incredible meals. You seem to have the energy of someone half your age. You will never find someone to replace your husband, but it would still be great to have a nice companion.

9 Likes

That’s great! I might have to make a trip…

Thanks. But really, it doesn’t get much easier than plopping a hunk of tuna in a hot pan for a few mins. Maybe be a notch over a TV dinner due to timing

I actually make tuna more for my wife. She loves it. I’m usually looking for bigger flavors

I used the leftover sliced tuna on a half a bagel with a lox cream cheese spread for a quick lunch before heading back to work today. Now that packed in a little more flavor :sunny:

4 Likes

Very helpful, thx!

thanks paryzer. I can call ou Eli?
My companions are my two poms. They stand by the door crying when I leave them alone, never for more than 2 hours.
I am busy with grooming them, brushing their teeth twice a day and keeping them happy.
Well, perhaps lightning will strike twice but I doubt it.
I will let you be the first to know if lightening strikes me again.
My friend who came for the paella party a couple weeks ago is 85 and she has just fallen in love since 2 months ago! She and I hardly see each other as both of us are a bit hearing impaired, in addition she does not use computer. However, in 1987 or so, when I went with my son’s school to ski in Austria, my husband elected to stay behind for 2 more days of skiing rather than take the bus tour to Munich as scheduled. Well, there was an avalanche, a whole village was buried, Prince Charles best friend died there. For 2 days, I cried my heart out as I was not aware if my husband and son survived. My friend Lucy, comforted me during those days. When she became a widow, my husband tried to I introduce her to a friend but it did not work out, so when she found this retired air pilot, she called me and wanted to bring him over.She was in love!! I was pleasantly surprised to see Lucy dancing to techno music!!!

8 Likes