What's for Dinner #51 - the It's Dark Outside! Edition - November 2019

A hybrid Pork Chop Murphy. Baked breaded pork chops topped with a sauteeing of a coworker’s homemade pickled cherry peppers, onions, garlic, and a little bit of tomato sauce. The peppers were VERY spicy! I need a Tums tonight!

14 Likes

That place is on my shortlist for sure- menu looks good!

1 Like

That sounds great. I love Filipino food, and have been missing it since I became a vegetarian. I may have to experiment with some recipes to go with that flan!

1 Like

I like the result you had, than any of the recipes & photos I just looked up. Terrific!

1 Like

Dinner tonight.

Made this again. Fried rice with scrambled eggs and siu yok, plus a little fish sauce. The mister had no chance to dine at his favorite roast stall due to irregular work hours so bought a piece of roast to cook this.

Stir-fried French beans and bacon in butter.

Miso soup - mountain yam, carrot, leftover shiitake slices, aburaage. Seems to be sweeter due to the carrot, we quite liked the crunchy mountain yam sticks in the soup.

15 Likes

Yum to all of that

2 Likes

I TRIED TO WRITE MY RECIPE DOWN FOR Y OU HERE IT IS. LET ME KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT! I THINK YOU WIL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!

My Leche Flan Recipe

Filipino leche flan is a rich steamed custard topped with a syrupy caramel. It is one of the most popular desserts served at parties, fiestas, and other special occasions. This sweet dish is also popular in some Latin American and Caribbean countries. Among the Hispanic population of North America, leche flan is also known as creme caramel.

10 egg yolks
2 eggs
1 can evaported milk- 12-14 ounce
1 can condensed milk- 14 ounce
1-2 tbsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt

There are 3 steps in making Leche Flan, , The caramel sauce and cooking the egg mixture /

FIRST STEP :
MiX the egg yolks and eggs, then the condensed followed by evaporated milk so the last bit of evaporated milk can be poured into the condensed milk to get every little bit of CM left in the can. With each step, IT IS MANDATORY NEVER TO BEAT THE EGG MILK MIXTURE BUT STIR IN ONE CIRCULAR MOTION THE EGG YOLK, THE 2 EGGS THEN THE MILK TO PREVENT BUBBLES. COVER WITH ALUMINUM FOIL, THIS IS THE KEY TO A PERFECT FLAN. NO BUBBLES!!!
Cover the top of the mold using an Aluminum foil

SECOND STEP

In a heavy thick-bottomed pan, melt the sugar over medium heat until it liquefies and turns an amber color. There is no need to stir the sugar but swirling the pan occasionally helps make a smoother and crystal-free syrup. I follow Julia Child’’s as this helps prevent crystals. Follow her method for making caramel sauce and you will not have problem with crystallization. I DOUBLE THE AMOUNT FO SUGAR / WATER TO MAKE SURE I HAVE ENOUGH CARAMEL SAUCE TO LINE THE THE BOTTOM AND SIDES OF MY PAN.
I do not add cream to mine, Once the syrup acquires the color of amber, quickly remove it from the heat and pour into the pan that the Leche Flan will be baked in to cover the bottom and swirl to cover the sides. I use a SS rectangular pan and have another bigger pan that this pan can sit in with 1 inch water to make a water bath.

THIRD STEP

Place your Leche Flan in a 375 degree oven, If possible, place your pan in another larger pan filled with 1 inch water to make a water bath. Cook for 45 min to 1 hour until a toothpick inserted in to the middle of the flan comes out clean.

Cool the leche flan then chill. Use a butter knife to loosen the sides of the flan then invert onto a serving plate or individual dessert plates.Some of the syrup will flow down the sides of the flan and form a pool on the plate. That is how it should be.

9 Likes

One of these days, I have to try quail breast…

2 Likes

It’s very good. It is similar to dark meat chicken but more flavorful.

2 Likes

WOW! Just saw this now. Thank you so much @ccj! I will def prepare this recipe soon and post when I do.
:raised_hands::raised_hands:

2 Likes

Spiced turkey meatballs and chickpeas “tikka masala” with Madhur Jaffrey’s sauteed spinach with extra…you guessed it…jalapeño.

15 Likes

@Sasha, me too! The craving hit the other day, so out came the bone stash, made my broth in the Instant Pot, yummy matzoh balls!

18 Likes

I hope to try this; maybe halved, with one egg. Half of that may be even better.

Let me know how it turns out.
Just remember to slowly stir in one direction, with the addition of egg yolks, eggs , Ev ,Cm so there will be no bubble when the flan is cut .
I never add sugar as it is sweet enough but some filipino recipes call for sugar
My SS pan ( an OR pan with SS cover) so I do not need cover but this also prevents steam from making marks on the flan.

1 Like

I’m quite amazed by the kind of ingredients you guys can get hold of. We mainly eat local vegetables, pork or chicken (for most) and common fishes (except for farmed salmon) in SEA.

1 Like

Glad to hear it Eli… Also glad to hear you are up and walking.
I was told that if I could walk a mile on flat ground, that I could return to my “normal” life ( what ever that is) but mine was 10 years ago…as an afterthought I guess the operation did not affect your appetite for good food!

1 Like

You guys have me obsessing over my chili sauce options.

With these. I needed freezer space and found these. I might have made them almost a year ago. When would you toss?

I ate them.
A little pale, but cooked through. How do you pan fry from frozen?

15 Likes

Thank you @PHREDDY! I appreciate it. I am up to walking 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 miles a day, over a half hour period, on the treadmill. My bandage is not showing as much discharge when I remove it, so I’m close to going bandage free :slightly_smiling_face: I still can’t lift anything heavy. Poor Mrs. P has been literally doing the heavy lifting, but she is used to that :slightly_smiling_face: I still feel a little pain in my glute and hip area, but the main area where the operation was does not hurt as much, and I am not getting the pain shooting down my leg, and the numbness in my foot.
Yes, I am lucky to still have my appetite, thanks to Mrs. P’s wonderful cooking :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Here is an frying frozen that does t he trick for us
I use a small amount of chicken broth
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=how+do+you+pan+fry+frozen+dumplings&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

1 Like

For all of you crab fans today is the first day of the 5 day Dungeness crab and Alaskan King crab claw sale at Costco. It looks like Crabsgiving is starting early this year :hugs: Mrs. P just bought 8 of each. We will both have 1 of each tonight and have vacuum sealed the rest. They are frozen and already cooked. They told Mrs. P they can be vacuum sealed. That is why she bought so many.

11 Likes