What's for Dinner #51 - the It's Dark Outside! Edition - November 2019

What did you think? I loved the warmness from the cinnamon in that!

if you like flan, the best flan is not the French but the Filipino’s flan. There should be no bubble and one of the tricks is to cook with evaporated milk and condensed milk, both with 60% of liquid removed ( no sugar to be added other than the Caramel sauce at bottom of pan to which the milk egg is to be poured into ) as well as 10 yolks and 2 whole eggs, not to beat but to stir slowly with a fork in only one direction so as not to create bubbles. The evaporated and condensed milk instead of cream or whole milk makes a very nice dry flan with caramel sauce compared to the French flan I have had in both US and France.

3 Likes

Agree! We enjoyed the flavors a lot. I might add a touch of fresh pineapple next time.

1 Like

Found it at Lidl!

That’s the Goya brand method.

gorgeous photos!! what a wonderful send-off!

and what a fab friend you have!! would love to have seen that!

The recipe for the pumpkin came from carnation

Sweet and sour chicken over brown rice. I forgot the pineapple. Sesame-dressing cucumber salad.

11 Likes

Ho hum. Mrs. P made another one of her pan seared quail breast salads for dinner :yum:

12 Likes

The flan?

Are you feeling better?

1 Like

I’m slowly progressing. Today is the 2 week anniversary of my operation. I’m still sore but started walking slowly on the treadmill a half hour a day. I have a nice nasty scar on my back that hasn’t fully closed yet. I still can’t twist or lift heavy objects yet but I have made a lot of progress considering I could barely get up from a chair or bed 2 weeks ago. Thank you for asking :blush:

8 Likes

I wish you further progress and good luck!

1 Like

Thank you @bcc! I appreciate it.

1 Like

Hello jalapeños! (I’m sensing a theme here…)

1 Like

Add spice post cooking to accommodate the lil one? :rofl:

1 Like

Penzeys Tsardusted pork chop with Triple Apple applesauce, baby potatoes with ground sumac, thyme, and s/p, and sauteed spinach with onions, garlic, and bacon.

14 Likes

Peppers and goat cheese

Penne with sweet Italian sausage, cauliflower, pork jus, fried crumbs, Parmesan

14 Likes

The carrot / coconut / lemongrass soup from a few days ago, with chili oil and fried onions.

With gougeres - I made 7 from 1/4 recipe (1 egg’s worth), and they’re g.o.n.e.

15 Likes

The Peppers and goat cheese looks incredible.

1 Like