What's for Dinner #51 - the It's Dark Outside! Edition - November 2019

Thank you. Got home at 8, picked up a BLAT on the way home from Tatte (my favorite caffe in Boston), chopped the vegetables, meat and herbs, added the spices and now the stoup is simmering and I am waiting for the aroma to fill our condo. I’ll pick up a rosemary ciabatta from our local stop and shop on the way home from work tomorrow. It’s supposed to snow at around 4pm. We’ll eat at 7. Can’ t wait.

9 Likes

Roasted my sister’s bday dinner last night. At my dad’s request, I made my grandma’s chili dip. Tonight we used the leftovers for frito pie. Fritos, chili, cabbage, parsley, green onion, avocado, and a squeeze of lime juice. Salad and wine for sides.

15 Likes

A snowmaker moved in around 7 AM this morning and hung around for about 13 hours. Hence, metro Detroit got a bit more than seven inches of H-E-A-V-Y snow. A comfort food was in order, turned out to be vegetarian spaghetti:

16 Likes

@HungryAllTheTime, thanks for taking us along for a short walk in your day. Very evocative. I feel like we’re there. More, please…

Ooooh, be still my heart.

1 Like

I absolutely love your take on frito pie .

1 Like

Holy cow, good HO people! I turn away for a moment and you are blowing my mind with your creative home cooking!

Tonight was a few pancakes umpf’d by the last of my personal pumpkin pie spice mix (forward note on ground mace) spread with honeycomb and a Rooibos tea.

A shout out and respectful salute to any Vets in the HO audience :v:.

Rooster

11 Likes

How sweet.

@rooster you have a very sophisticated nose/palate!

that salad sounds up my alley…

1 Like

Slashed and smashed! Andrea Nguyen’s slashed chicken, and smashed cukes to go with. You slash the chicken twice on each side and then marinate in a fish sauce/sugar/shallot/garlic concoction. A friend on another site used thigh/leg pieces, which makes for a prettier presentation. I used thighs that were pretty small, and shrunk up quite a bit in the high heat. But the skin was super crispy and the marinade tasty, and did permeate throughout. Smashed cukes were their usual smashing selves.

16 Likes

I do like to spice shop!

1 Like

Now you’ve piqued my interest as to what went down at the grocery store.

3 Likes

I feel like every grocery trip I’ve taken in NYC has been ridiculous or nears ridiculous territory (when my bro first moved to Manhattan, I’d visit and go grocery shopping for him while he was at work). Little did I know…

1 Like

Hi, What is the name of that lemon?

Wish you the best of getting well.
I have not been posting, problem with joint pains, construction ( started a custom greenhouse but now, have to take down Bec of stupid county law, being in the buffer zone fo critical area, cannot add anything to my property), and of course son very upset bec his Dec 3 surgery for total disc arthroplasty in Germany was not approved by BCBShit. They consider it experimental but Germany has been performing the procedure for 10 years with superior proven disc.
Anyway, if after your wound heal, get to a pool, that is the best exercise., even just walking for the first few weeks.

Thank you @ccj! I am progressing slowly and trying to do some moderate walking back and forth from the front to the back of my house several times a day. Initially I couldn’t bend, or even get up from a chair or bed without being in excruciating pain, but I am making progress there. I just have to take it one day at a time.

I’m sorry to hear about you and your son’s health issues, and about not being able to build a greenhouse. There is so much ridiculous bureaucracy around. Maybe your son’s surgeon can do a peer to peer review with the health insurance company to convince them why the surgery is needed, and how common the surgery is in Germany. I had the laminectomy to remove parts of L3, L4, and L5 lamina that were touching a nerve. My insurance company initially rejected the L3/L4 procedure but approved the L4/L5 procedure. My surgeon got the lab person that wrote up my MRI report to adjust the wording from minor to moderate and then Aetna approved both procedures after the peer to peer review.

2 Likes

Everything on this plate looks amazing!
Is the chicken smashed as well? I love my chicken thin. Our local Whole Foods is the only place that is willing to slice and smash my chicken. I ask they cut it sideways into three cutlets and smash it thin as possible. I get a lot of dirty looks, but my kitchen doesn’t have chicken pieces splattered around and I love thin schnitzel.

4 Likes

Thank you! no, not smashed, just slashed. it just shrunk a lot from the high heat!

I do smash my chicken at home if I make chicken schnitzel - just put it in a gallon plastic bag and smash from the outside - no mess! but you probably get thinner pieces by having your butcher slice it thinly and smashing it for you.

1 Like

Well, The 2 German surgeons as well as the chief of Neurosurgery at Georgetown ( he had only done 15 to date) all wrote and agreed that Will needs the surgery but Will does not want the US approved disc because it has only been around for a few years whereas the Germans have been performing this surgery for the past 10 years with no known complications. .Will claims there is a big difference between the German LP_ESP and the FDA American approved ProDisc-L and the activL Artificial Disc
BCBS finally approved 10 cases in the US to be done in Germany but not without a lot of fiasco. One case I know of is an engineer from NASA who got approved, then denied but finally , NASA helped BCBS to pay for it .

I try not to get involved since I no longer am in the trade. BCBS is a shitty company, even when Will’s insurance policy allows him to have it done anywhere around the world as long as it is approved. He had Ganz Osteotomy in 2012, was supposed to fly to Switzerland to have it done. Ganz started the surgery , only a handful in the US are familiar with procedure. Since nobody at Hopkins can do so then, RT( Trousdale) from Mayo flew here to Hopkins to perform the procedure bec my husband was sick and having stem cell bone marrow transplant. RT studied with Ganz I Switzerland. Now, I no longer have clout!!!

Good Luck with y ours and rapid recovery!

4 Likes