What's for Dinner #51 - the It's Dark Outside! Edition - November 2019

…It’s Vivid, lol. The chowder does have a nice color from the golden hued corn stock & red pepper from the shrimp heads but it’s not quite that bright yellow. Ever since my iPhone automatically & unnecessarily upgraded (do i really need an emoji of a unicorn with an exploding head or an emoji that looks like me & talks?) my photos are uploading to HO with a dull unfocused look, so I’ve been manipulating them with the highlight features. It works but the details are overshadowed with brightness. I’m thinking about contacting someone (idk who) to see if anyone else has the problem and can it be fixed. I want pretty & natural not technicolor.

…but thanks! It does look like saffron. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

That’s what children are for @TheCookie :joy::joy:

5 Likes

Hah! I Know. I asked my son about it yesterday when we met for breakfast. He was a little vague and said something about doing a hard shutdown. I’ll see if that works.

New to the blog. Nice to meet you all. Love the pictures on this discussion group. It really does help when I get home from work (late) and never know what to make. Now I have great ideas!! I usually get take out, but tonight I may just take the time to make a big pot of stoup for tomorrow because it is turning mighty cold up here in Boston.

14 Likes

Eat more fiber-rich foods and you won’t feel hungry all the time.
Welcome to the forum!

Welcome!

Thank you

I don’t know about the fiber part, but thanks for the welcome part

Happy to have you here at HO! Hope you survive the Arctic blast that’s headed your way. Don’t know how you NorthEasters do it! Brrrr just thinking about it.:snowflake::snowman_with_snow::dash:

2 Likes

Thanks. Friends in FL say the same thing, but, hey, it’s warm in my house, my office, my car, restaurants, bars, movies… you get the idea.

3 Likes

Of course - same thing happens in summer in brutally hot places…
I live in the Seattle area, so typically we don’t have extreme temperatures here. But I’ll take every chance to go somewhere warm and sunny in the winter. :sunny::palm_tree:

2 Likes

Welcome “Hungry”… Remember you have wonderful people here and we consider everything food as part of our culture, so please feel free to put it out there.
See you round the HO boards …….

1 Like

Thank you!

Don’t know if it’s the Fall effect, but, dang, HOers have really been cooking up some extra fabulous grub in the last 24 hours! Thanks for sharing and inspiring.

(“HOers”, now THERE’S one for you!)

5 Likes

Welcome, Hungry! This is a great group. Glad you found it. Also, check out our Boston area board and please share any thoughts on food in the Boston area.

3 Likes

Thank you and I most definitely will check that out!

1 Like

I made two recipes from Leila el Haddad’s Gaza Kitchen - sweet and sour pumpkin and lamb stew (she calls for beef) and Beit Jirjah salad. Served up with steamed basmati. The salad, with its tahini-dill dressing, is a definite repeat.

16 Likes

I don’t know about fiber either. You could eat more FAT! Disclaimer; they say you may not live as long. Oh well…

4 Likes

Welcome to HO and the WFD thread, @HungryAllTheTime! Sometimes it scrambled eggs or a tuna melt, other times it a roasted chicken or a beef tenderloin! Looking forward to your posts. And yes, stoup will be very good for the expected single digit temps on Wednesday!

1 Like

Feeling too annoyed to cook after a ridiculous grocery store trip, so I just made a quick khichdi with a mix of green and yellow moong.

Accompanied by yogurt, papad, and chicken pickle gifted to me a while back. I decided I like khichdi too much plain to bother with pickle, so none for the second helping.

More sweet lime today - peeled rather than cut up. Still tart, but not as much as the other day. I’m continuing to zest them first and mix with sugar for a shrub starter. Ridiculously fragrant!

10 Likes