What's for Dinner #51 - the It's Dark Outside! Edition - November 2019

It’s a sweet lime - indian, mexican, middle eastern too I think.

I’ve tried the gallon ziploc. Hate it. Not only that, but it’s fun annoying the Whole Food butchers. They see me coming and hide. It’s hilarious.

3 Likes

:smile::joy:

When spatchcocking chicken was a new thing (at least north of San Francisco), I asked one of the Whole Foods butchers to do one for me, and he didn’t know what I was talking about. Most of them are perfectly nice here, but don’t seem very knowledgeable. I tend to get along better with old gnarled butchers, ones who aren’t afraid of fat!

3 Likes

Garlic-Adobo seasoned chicken over grilled onion and jalapeno. Side of rice and pink beans (prepared with bacon since I was out of ham).

13 Likes

Real nice . Its WFD this weekend.

1 Like

I lovingly remember asking a counterguy at my custom butcher to cut a piece of meat into scallops. He looked at me like I was a loony and responded, “I can’t do THAT!” We went home and I amused husband by rather easily slicing the piece horizontally into 1/4" slices. Husband always says I should have become a butcher…

3 Likes

Ha.

It was TJ, and long before “rush hour” the checkout line wrapped around the store twice - twice as long as I have ever seen it. So everyone “shops on line” - because why circle the store a third time, when it’s hard to navigate anyway.

And then it appears that the folks who were supposed to be “moving the line along” must’ve been snoozing or people just weren’t being good “line neighbors” and moving the adjacent carts/baskets along, because the line suddenly compressed to a third of its length in 5 mins, leaving everyone at the back scrambling to get what they needed along the line while TJ employees scolded them to move. Sigh.

Also, the cart elevator was broken so they moved all the carts off the main floor to the basement level, and messed up people’s usual shopping flow.

Anyway. I got what I needed before the freezing weather arrived, and it was faster than it appeared it would be, so it’s all fine.

5 Likes

Plums

Ham and oaxacan cheese frittata, overfilled and exuberant

17 Likes

Trader joes checkers talk way to much . Stop talking and bag the groceries
I need to get home

1 Like

Our TJ is a very simple one story sub-supermarket sized shop. Check out lines never over several minutes. We bag our own and are out in a flash.

1 Like

Nah, I like that they’re friendly. The ones at my store aren’t overly chatty, just pleasant, which is nice compared to other places.

6 Likes

Mine has the challenge of being the most easily accessible by subway in the city, so we are overrun more than any normal store would ever be.

I’ve learned to avoid the “busy” times for non-neighborhood people - thanks to our friendly checkout people, who told me when not to come :joy:

I forgot that enough people had the day off yesterday that it was Monday plus delayed-Sunday rush. My fault!

5 Likes

I got inspired by the Paella thread - maybe on CH - that was the dish of the month. So - paella. Chicken, shrimp, linguica sausage (can’t find spanish chorizo anywhere), olives, peas. Chicken/shrimp shell stock. Saffron, smoked and regular paprika, and bomba rice. Pretty tasty first effort, although no soccarrat on the bottom sadly. Just brown color but no crunchy texture. I put in the recommended 3 parts liquid per 1 part rice, but it took a very long time to cook off.

14 Likes

Leftover thai green curry with chicken and mushrooms, from the freezer. Forgot to take a pic.

But there wasn’t that much, so topped up with some of last night’s khichdi, yogurt, and a bit of delicious red sorrel pickle. Oh and some easy crunchy okra that will be repeated soon!

And… drumroll please… my first persimmon of the season - far too late for my liking, but delicious!

15 Likes

Yummm. Not shabby at all!

2 Likes

Okra deets, please?

1 Like

My usual microwave-fried version, but cut round not long - tossed with oil, spices, plus some besan/gram flour this time rather than cornstarch. Add half the intuitive salt (lot of shrinkage).

Microwave - checking a few mins at a time first, then sooner bec it goes fast at the end.

3 Likes

It’s become my usual . Cheers .

18 Likes

Last night I repurposed some leftover gorgeous ribeye into steak fajitas. We had them on TJ’s handmade flour tortillas with a shmear of refried black beans, topped with cheddar, salsa verde and spicy guac.

Tonight i repurposed some halibut into spicy fish cakes make with a bit of potato, finely minced onion, jalapeno and cilantro. I coated with panko and spritzed with oil, then baked them, rather than pan fried them. Served with roasted broccoli and asparagus. Dipping sauce was doctored TJ’s tartar with more onion, garlic, cumin, lime, cayenne and cilantro.

My husband doesn’t love leftovers so reinventing things is a quickfire game I like to play. It’s so satisfying when I’m able to make good use of great quality leftovers in a new dish.

13 Likes