What's for Dinner #51 - the It's Dark Outside! Edition - November 2019

I wanna live at your house.

2 Likes

Milk Street is Kimball’s offshoot of his t.v. show of the same name, which he started after he left America’s Test Kitchen, et al. i liked the magazine but i dislike that they’re constantly squeezing their customers for more money. But Milk Street is his attempt at incorporating more “ethnic” and diverse flavors and recipes into his cooking.

2 Likes

I got that one in the mail the other day, and enjoyed it way more than I expected. I haven’t heard the podcast, but I’ve seen the show on PBS.

1 Like

Ah! Thanks for the backstory. I liked this magazine. Nice to have a bit of a story with the recipe. It inspired me to make this, hummus and roast a whole cauliflower.

2 Likes

Me too! I picked up chickpeas today to try hummus soon.

That is one yummy lookin’ sandwich.
How’s the little one feeling today?

The sauce on your chicken boobie looks great.

1 Like

I finally made the black dal I’ve been craving for years. Damn, it was good. I’m sad I didn’t triple the batch. Really not a lot of effort and I put it all into the Crock-Pot for 8+ hours. It condensed and thickened. Delicious!!! I’ll probably make it again next week. My husband had triples!!!

I also made an Indian shrimp thing with tomatoes and onions. Thumbs up. Sides of brown basmati and sauteed kale and spinach with more onions and store bought naan.

15 Likes

Wow - good job! Looks so vibrant and healthy! :+1:

1 Like

I had a really really really really REALLY good day.

A good long visit with Mom, then antiquing with my sister at Eclectic Collection in West Bridgewater, MA afterwards, where they were having a sale. WOOT! Found a small antique wooden trencher at a very good price.

But then I made the mistake of trying to go to Macy’s in Burlington this afternoon to return some winter gloves I had bought for Mom that didn’t fit her small hands. What the HELL was I thinking on a holiday weekend? :flushed::flushed::flushed: Holy crap. THIS is why I despise malls with the heat of 1,000 suns. But I somehow survived and was in and out in 20 minutes.

Dinner was a bone-in pork chop liberally seasoned with Penzeys Tsardust seasoning mix, pan-seared in olive oil and finished in the oven with some leftover Apple-Cider BBQ Sauce.

Sides were roasted baby potatoes seasoned with olive oil, s/p, Herbs de Provence, and paprika, and steamed green beans. And wine.

It was a really really really good day. :heart:

19 Likes

I think someone asked on this thread what was good to watch on Netflix these days; I can’t remember if I responded, but we have watched some great stuff. Please re-post if you’re still needing any recs.

BTW, for dinner we are having Chicken Piccata with pasta and a salad. I may post a pic later, not quite done yet.

2 Likes

Everything on your plate looks delicious!

1 Like

Sounds like a wonderful day. The trencher is really nice. What will you use it for? I’d put things in it on the coffee table: chestnuts, hearts, stones, etc.

2 Likes

Thank you! I am so jazzed I finally made that dal! Ha!

1 Like

Good! You hella deserve one!

4 Likes

Tonight we had friends over for a Mexican themed dinner. We started with crudite (jicama, red pepper, snap peas and cucumbers); tortilla chips w/a few salsas and spicy guac; mini crab cakes with Mexican aioli (essentially a tartar sauce doctored with cilantro, cumin, fresh lime, garlic and cayenne); Mexican caesar salad (dressing was made like a traditional caesar but also had Greek yogurt, cotija cheese in addition to the regular stuff); halibut with a roasted chili sauce (made from a blend of dried and rehydrated guajillo, california and cascabel chiles); arroz verde (brown rice made with a blend of spinach, cilantro, onion, garlic,c chicken stock); asparagus.

Desserts were Supernatural brownies and some mini pumpkin cheesecakes with gingersnap crusts I had made the other day for another event.

Margaritas in two flavors: fresh squeezed blood orange/tangerine; strawberry/cucumber basil. Both were excellent.

Everything turned out well. forgot to take pics. Visiting guests and their one had a good time.

15 Likes

Something that Finnegan won’t undecorate. :wink:

3 Likes

I am kind of speechless. That trencher is something I might well have killed for a decade or so ago. I only restrain myself now because unlike Mother Hubbard, my cupboard is far from bare. But were it so…

4 Likes

Son brought three elves over for dinner tonight. And just as many tastes and preferences.
-> pork roast, mashed, stuffing (cause he likes it), gravy, applesauce, carrots,
Main plate pleased 3/4 of them, but ice cream and sauce sent them away without grumbles.

15 Likes

Chicken Under a Brick in a Hurry

And pineapple with Chili pepper and salt.

17 Likes