What's for Dinner #51 - the It's Dark Outside! Edition - November 2019

I see you’re not following advice. :frowning_face:

Not being able to get out of bed would be a heavenly glass half full to me - Books, TV, Food Talking! Snuggly Cats…

2 Likes

@LindaWhit - I’ve made it with chicken feet before - definitely a difference, much more gelatinous, so a richer stock. I was more referring to these farmers’ market feet - presumably organic chickens, local, etc. - as opposed to the feet I get from the Asian mart, which are much cheaper.

i feel like the taste this time was a bit “cleaner” but just as rich. the chicken feet from my local Asian supermarket yield a stock that is rich and delicious but has a slight funk. not bad in any way, just different.

i also have been making stock with whole thighs, skin/bone/all meat, and pulling them out, cooling slightly, and picking the meat off after about half an hour, then putting the bones back in. I use the boiled chicken in other preps, and the stock is super rich!

4 Likes

yep, these simmered in the IP for a good 4.5 hours.
and yes, agree - much more gelatinous, rich stock from the feet. better for us because i rarely cook a whole chicken for us anymore.

2 Likes

This is what I do, but with legs. TJ’s organic, free-range legs are a bargain, and make a great PC stock. I get the meat out a short while in so it doesn’t get stringy, and return the bones and skin to the PC and keep going. Wings would be a great addition for more gelatin, but they are overpriced because of demand.

2 Likes

Sincere kudos to @klyeoh for inspiring me to dive into SE Asian cooking. Thank you, Peter.

Our Wok did a Stir Fry tonight. Sauced with Sesame Oil, Dark Soy Sauce and Oyster Sauce. Just Terrific.

19 Likes

Mrs. P made delicious sugar pumpkin, delicata squash, spicy Andouille sausage, and crispy fried sage over pappardelle. It was inspired from a recipe in the NY Daily News. Mrs. P added the delicata squash, white wine, extra garlic and onions, and some sun dried tomato paste instead of canned tomatoes (since she is not a fan of tomato sauce). It was sweet, savory, and spicy :yum:

20 Likes

My kiddo is sick so dinner for me was a quickie on the fly: black bean burger on sourdough with avo, mayo, ketchup, and Sriracha. Likely a fitful night of sleep ahead.

15 Likes

A day.
A week.
A month.
And we’re only 8 days in. Yaaaasss. Just great.

I went simple for dinner tonite…a b/s chickie boobie marinated in a combo of orange juice, honey, rice wine vinegar and sriracha with a couple of sprigs of rosemary. The chicken was pan-seared and finished in the oven with the reduced marinade.

Sides were Israeli Couscous and sauteed spinach with toasted almonds, as I didn’t have any pine nuts.

Oh, you can be assured there was wine.

18 Likes

All good thoughts to puny kiddo. Bounce back soon!

3 Likes

More backyard fuyu, this time with sweet lime and purslane. Tangerine/evoo/cumin dressing.

Shanghai noodles

15 Likes

That looks great. Wish I didn’t have a random allergy to persimmon!

Oh @PHREDDY too funny but something that didn’t even cross my mind! With all due respect, (and I mean this sincerely) to vegans, they would certainly starve to death if they had to survive on native Arctic foods. I might die too, couldn’t do it! :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

That looks absolutely delicious @paryzer! I’ll be saving that recipe along with Mrs. P’s modifications.

Since we’ve already touched on some delicate issues regarding your recovery, I will say that a comfort height toilet and bidet would really improve your life right now. Assuming of course that you don’t already have either. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Another round of local fish
Wahoo with brussels and potatoes

14 Likes

I gotta get me some persimmons! I haven’t had a single one yet this season… travesty.

Gorgeous sear

3 Likes

Quick recovery! And hope that they solved your pain.

1 Like

I cut one of the sweet limes - still tart, but nice flavor. Zested it first and mixed with sugar for the beginnings of a possible shrub.

Snacky dinner - some leftovers from my long flight a week back, that I had frozen - cheese sandwiches that turned into perfect grilled cheese, and pan-fried “dumplings” called Muthiya - literally, “fists” - bec they’re shaped by closing the hand into a fist. Still hungry, so soft scrambled eggs inspired by that thread.

16 Likes

Did you make those noodles too? Jealous!

No way. I live 10 minutes walk from Clement Street and fresh Chinese, Japanese, Viet (rice) noodles.
Plus wrappers of all kinds. And veggies…

6 Likes