What's for Dinner #50 - The Spooky-licious Edition - Oct 2019

a new Indian grocery store just opened 5 months ago around the corner from my apt. I asked the shop keeper what was a good sweets gift for Diwali and they had the assortment box on display for just that reason, and then i found the other ones, the pink and white ones, in the refrigerated section (they have
a syrup) so I got them both.

3 Likes

Ladoo burfi halwa in all forms! Yes pls.

This was basically my whole week - Diwali breakfasts, lunches, snacks (separate category!), dinners, and SWEETS!!!

After insisting that I’m not bringing back more than a single box of sweets, my carry on was packed half full of Diwali sweets and half full of Diwali snacks - to “distribute” if I “insist on not eating them” (they’re already packed in smaller boxes, because giving/sharing is part of the holiday).

In many parts of India, the sweet component is part of the main meal, not after, to balance the flavors out. This is how we eat it in my family (plus more after, because, you know, DIWALI!)

13 Likes

Pink and white are Bengali sweets, made from chhena ie ricotta. Yummy.

3 Likes

they totally did balance out the flavors of the meal!

Also, most of both boxes ended up back with me because both my friend and her mother said NO, TAKE THEM OUT OF HERE, WE DON’T WANT THAT SUGAR LEFT IN THE HOUSE! this was after the mom said I was their angel for bringing them so we had them for the Diwali dinner. But also, they still had most of a gallon of jack fruit ice cream left over.) Not a prob, I’m not a big sweets person anyway, and the BF will polish them off.

Melissa Clark’s IP coconut-curry chicken (excellent - I added a little Turbinado and more coconut milk) over red quinoa. Butternut squash “fries” to break the toddler’s will against veggies (it worked). :rofl:IMG_20191029_181113

14 Likes

I forgot to mention this before - now this is interesting and new! (No, my picky mouth wouldn’t eat it, but it’s intellectually interesting!)

Pretty sure this was my family’s plan re sending me off with the bulk of the sweets.

Did you like the Bengali sweets? (They look like “malai sandwich” to me - cream/ricotta in the middle.)

1 Like

How do they compare to sweet potato fries?

Meal looks delicious!

1 Like

Waldorf salad

Chili relleno and rice

14 Likes

the jack fruit ice cream was very mild, just sweet. since I’ve only had it canned from TJs, and turned it into pulled BBQ “pork” (which we hated), I’m really not sure what jack fruit tastes like in the wild.

Late last night I made this “soup”:

suffice to say, mine needed a lot more broth. But it tasted heavenly. No shit - three kinds of pork, how can you go wrong?

We have leftovers to freeze, so next time we serve it I’ll add it to some chicken broth.

14 Likes

and they were very coconutty, although coconut is not a listed ingredient.

I actually liked the assortment better than those, but they were all really good.

No recipe. I “marinate” slivers of steak in soy/cornstarch, sear in canola oil in a wok, remove and toss in a ton of sliced green onion, then cooked rice noodle/soba/Shanghai noodle, what have you. Return meat, toss, add more soy or oyster sauce to taste. This is my slipshod method. There’s a lot better advice out there. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Floppier?

I’m so making this . Yes , yes . Thanks . I’ll add more broth. I was taught by my father to make soup . A master Lithuanian cook .

1 Like

Unripe vs ripe (I don’t eat either, despite years of convincing by my jackfruit-loving grandmother).

1 Like

De Cecco Rigatoni, “New York style Hot” Italian sausage, and bottled " Cucina and Amore " arabiatta sauce. Sweet!

Okay, but what to do with the leftover rigatoni??? I can’t EAT it!!!

I hope it’s okay to say here; carbs make life so much simpler. That’s not political, is it?

14 Likes

so the recipe calls for 6 cups of broth to 1 of lentils. I used black lentils because that’s what I found near me, and used maybe 5 cups. i guess i thought the black ones wouldn’t soak up so much liquid…

yes, make it! it’s SO GOOD.

3 Likes

Looks like they’re sprinkled with desiccated coconut as a “garnish” :joy:

1 Like

Thanks for the info . Same , I’m going to use what’s available at Berryvale for lentils . Our local health food store . Its actually a good store for organics , vitamins, and such .

1 Like