What's for Dinner #50 - The Spooky-licious Edition - Oct 2019

We finally had an “Oktoberfest” meal last night: chicken schnitzel, noodles, mushroom gravy.

22 Likes

:grin:… We lost her young too. But she was hella’ fun while we had her.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Tang… and Space Food Sticks. Childhood foods might be a fun thread. Especially, with this board being so international. It’d be interesting.

3 Likes

I belong to that guilty generation. But we were (brainwashed?) led to believe that these new, “scientific” foods were good for you. I mean, we were feeding them to our guys in space! And frozen kiddy TV dinners at least had “splats”: of the three food groups: protein albeit usually fried, greens, probably peas, and starch, mashed potato with ersatz butter.
And don’t forget that evilest of evils, Hi-C, touted as nutritious and probably more sugar than Coke.
Our son, who was fed this trash in his early years feeds his kids fruits and veggies as snacks, and they drink either skim milk or water. The pendulum swings.

5 Likes

I made japchae with marinated baked tofu. It was a hit.

17 Likes

I haven’t a clue what this is, but set me a place, please.

2 Likes

Yumm. We had Korean for lunch last weekend, and I ordered japchae knowing it was too much and we would “have” to take it home. I was so excited for my lunch the next day - until I realized my leftovers never made it home from the restaurant. :cry:

5 Likes

So disappointing!

1 Like

@pilgrim It’s Korean sweet potato noodle and veg stir fry sauced with soy sauce, garlic, sesame oil, and sugar/malt syrup (I used agave).

1 Like

Dinner bell :bellhop_bell:
Lasagna with homemade sheets of pasta from my Aunt. So good. The tribe inhaled it faster than I could grab the camera setting! Green salad and antipasto.

4 Likes

Last night’s Cilantro/yogurt/garlic marinated chicken with sides of brown rice, sauteed kale and cucumber salad (thanks Mom for the veggies, as usual).

Today, we had a dwali celebration at work. As basically the only non-indian in my location, I was politely asked me to bring forks!! :rofl::rofl: I was second in line and this is about half of both the food and dessert options. I ran out of room both on my plate and my stomach. Holy moly, it was good.

Dinner was quick pasta with a variety of veggies, kale, broccoli, brussel sprouts and cherry tomatoes. Pesto on top. Devoured by all.

18 Likes

Still looking for a place at your table…

1 Like

i HATE when that happens! there should be someone at every restaurant that is ready to sprint after you with your leftovers!

5 Likes

Diwali dinner party at friend’s house last night - her mother is visiting from India and cooked for two days! Absolutely fantastic. On the menu were pakoras, puris, corn curry, dal and cumin & onion rice (with ghee), and an eggplant dish. I brought Indian sweets (I’d read that this was a good gift to bring to a Diwali party; I brought Prosecco, too) and to my mild surprise they were put out and eaten with our meal. All went together really well. Dessert (not pictured) was a cardamom panna cotta and jackfruit ice cream.

She brought me some leftovers today!

25 Likes

A feast! I am so jealous of you and @gracieggg!

3 Likes

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

3 Likes

Pear and blue cheese

Zucchini with olive pesto

(Frozen) lobster ravioli (from Grocery Outlet)…surprisingly delicious.

15 Likes

BF cooked - cumin chicken with crispy skin and ridiculously good Mexi-rice. i had to leave the kitchen to stop myself from eating the entire pot. i only half-way succeeded.

19 Likes

Cornbread and sausage stuffing. Sample of my “crock pot stuffing” experiment.

20 Likes

Now I’m so hungry for Indian food.

3 Likes

What a spread! How did you find and choose your “sweets”? Do you have a local store?

1 Like