What's for Dinner #50 - The Spooky-licious Edition - Oct 2019

No the coating does have a life. I bought the one I have back in August, replacing the one I had for about 5 years. My feeling for the price, which is not cheap, 5 years of at least twice a week use (I use it for veggies, chicken, beef, etc,) , but you do have to take care of , as with any other pot or utensil.
PS…get it screaming hot before you put anything into it…

2 Likes

I added veg to last night’s leftovers:

14 Likes

Today, with countertop available for use, I decided to make vindaloo chicken, a dish brought by the Portuguese to India, primarily the Goa region.

Aside from vindaloo curry, I like to add Mexican red sauce using 5 kinds of Chile pods, ( ancho, mulato and pasilla called the holy trinity as well as hatchchile pods from New Mexico and chile arbor. These are reconstituted after toasting briefly till it renders a fragrant smell, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes, discarded the bitter water, added to food processor chicken broth, then cooked on top of stove with garlic, caramelized onion, chicken broth, bay leaf, oregano and cumin and some pureed tomato from a can . Froze red sauce that I did not use for future enchilada use or whatever. Notice those 5 kinds of Chile pods gives a brown rather than red sauce. It is a complex flavor.

I added some of these Mexican red sauce to my dice chicken breast which were

pre browned, and marinaded for 2 hours with vindaloo curry powder, cider vinegar, lime juice. To the pot I added some diced potato, This was simmered on top of stove till potato became fork tender.

Served with toasted Naan Bread.

17 Likes

Give me a straw and soup spoon, and stand back!

5 Likes

Went simple tonight: a BISO chickie-boobie seasoned with olive oil and Penzeys Ruth Ann’s Muskego Ave Chicken Seasoning augmented with extra lemon peel and dried thyme, with Near East Rice Pilaf and steamed broccoli alongside.

Yeah, I had a glass of wine. A large one.

14 Likes

We’re in a similar situation, combined with living in a windy area. I put my grill pan in the oven at 450 for about a half hour, then turn on the broiler and let it heat a little bit longer. I’ve used the pan for hamburgers, pork chops, steaks, hot dogs/sausages, and it works great!

Mine is a square black All-Clad, and I’ve probably had it for 15 years. It looks like this:

@Sasha @Lambchop I’m behind on my HO reading but when I saw the original post, I laughed out loud! My garden is a sad sight (though I try) so I thought, man, I’m a master gardener now without even trying!

2 Likes

Mahi on Hollandaise with Chanterelles and salad

16 Likes

re a previous poster’s concern with cleaning the used grill pan, I return the used pan to the oven and address washing/scrubbing it in the morning, G’nite. :grinning:

2 Likes

Fuyu and green plums, russian/roquefort dressing

Beef and rice noodle

17 Likes

It’s 76 degrees at 7:00 p.m. in San Francisco, but the BF came through with my freezer-pulled meat sauce and bucatini today, and made a salad and garlic toast. Totally hit the spot.

italian%20salad

18 Likes

No pic - twas kind of ugly. Shu mai w/shrimp and lap cheong. Sitting on a pool of carrot puree. Sides of ginger cabbage and soy/sesame broccoli. My shu mai didn’t have the right binder and completely fell apart. The wrappers didn’t stick to the filling and the filling didn’t entirely stick to itself. Tasty though.

8 Likes

What counts!

1 Like

Ooo… Lap cheong! Haven’t eaten that with claypot rice since my last trip to Hong Kong in May. And liver sausages from the lap cheong factory!

Not so common nowadays in SG when everyone is “trying” to eat healthy. Unless we cook on our own dishes! :joy:

1 Like

I’ve been wanting to make Mole at home for quite some time and finally did it tonight.

Mole calls for a lot of ingredients. I used ancho chiles, Mexican stone-ground chocolate, nuts (almonds, peanuts), raisins, sesame seeds and a diverse spice blend (cinnamon, star anise, cloves, bay leaf, cumin, coriander, Mexican oregano) to pack in flavor.

21 Likes

I just scrub it with a sponge and dish liquid and let it air dry. Seems fine…Sometimes I let it soak overnight with soapy water in it. My appliances have to be tough and not require any special treatment!

2 Likes

They sure are good.

I have purchased several packs of chk thighs which from one grocer always seems to have a lot of excess skin attached. After trimming it away I have an abundance of chicken skin. Scrape out the fat and spread on parchment between two sheet plans is how I get nice flat crispy skin, just like yours

Bowl of skins.

What a great snack

13 Likes

there was a Korean grocery that used to sell crispy chikenskin
I think you were the one who recommended that so,last time I went to
Costco, I did that for their bird!delish but not good for my cardiovascular system!

I doubt straw would allow you to slurp it up
I did not add starch but the potato thicken the sauce.
Someone commented that buying those Chile pods in bulk caused insect problems. To avoid shipping as I purchased them from California, I bought in bulk. placed them in a simple human 13 liter trash can in my pantry, have a handful of each kind in my DR in Chinese famille rose porcelain jars ( I have around 3 of those on the floor for different kinds of noodles which I would need but the rest also in SS trash can in the utility room at basement) .Thank goodness, bought in bulk 6 years ago, they are completely insect proof.

3 Likes

I get the double packs at Costco and keep them in my freezer. They are most typically used chez moi in fried rice that I make for the kids’ school lunches. They are not sandwich people. Sadly (for me).